Electric Cars - the discussion continues.

Phil Perry

At the moment it's horses for courses. I've not suggested the electric for long distances at this stage of development. IF you run right out of fuel on a modern vehicle it won't just GO when you put more fuel in it. You don't go under a certain "safe" amount if you are wise. Nev

Back to MY long-range tanks !.

When I took the Pajero over to Fraser Ise, I did my W & B at the start of journey, all well and good, at Rainbow beach, I topped up the fuel tank AND filled the two jerry cans that are fitted to the Front of the camper-trailer.

Coming off the ferry on the island, the heavy trailer front pulled the rear of the Paj down and tore the rear bumper as it scooped up lots of sand

Had to tie one offending jerry-can to the rear of said trailer.

AND still had a marvelous time there.

WB, very important even without the airplane connection.

spacesailor

Even the dreaded diesel can restart, IF you bleed the injectors, before you crank the battery flat.

But if you can fly at 6 ltrs P hr, why worry, (

)Not like RAA want ([ATTACH]49652._xfImport[/ATTACH]

I don't know of any designer that likes you to adapt their plans to suit the owner, other than Hummel

spacesailor

HBdonkey.thumb.jpg.af55f00b41d8a2c130956b7b62446115.jpg

Bruce

Jabiru as all aviation companies, (Jabiru was the only Aussie I could think of (no offense to a great company)), do not adjust their aircraft to suit the buyer

Hummel Aviation, according to what the kit buyer's are saying, the wings are relocated forward or rearward to compansate for Pilot weight (W&B.

On the HB the fuselage can be widend, lengthened and raised according to the needs of the builder.

And finally they are great looking planes to boot. Check out Dave kings Rotax powered HB.

Spacesailor

• 1 month later...

Well they've been trying for such a long time, well before Mr ford got his little four-pot car successful,!.

One day (unless something better comes along that pushes all that electrical work aside). Electric will rule the roads & sky's.

SILENT HARLIES !. HAVE TO CHECK MY HEARING-AID BATTERIES.

spacesailor

• 1 month later...

I really like my new electric bike. It cost $800 and has a 10 amp-hour battery at 36 volts. It can be ridden as a normal bike and is legal on footpaths. But when there is a headwind or an uphill bit, the electric boost is wonderful.

With footpaths and bikeways and painted bits on roads, we riders are well catered for around here.( not on country roads I admit, where riding a bike puts you at the mercy of drunken lawyers in 4wd's)..

But in the suburbs, you don't need to mix it with cars and trucks, yet there are hardly any bike riders around.

Why so few? I notice that there are few pedestrians too, everybody is in a car.

Grand-son is building a "drift" race car, All old school, not even electronic ignition or fuel injection, All of which takes computer control.

He is racing his V8 ford ute, with a little success, and noted, most modern motors are not winning as much as expected.

Shear Brute force at low rev's seem to be the the formula. (welded up the diff helps).

spacesailor

I really like my new electric bike. It cost $800 and has a 10 amp-hour battery at 36 volts. It can be ridden as a normal bike and is legal on footpaths. But when there is a headwind or an uphill bit, the electric boost is wonderful.With footpaths and bikeways and painted bits on roads, we riders are well catered for around here.( not on country roads I admit, where riding a bike puts you at the mercy of drunken lawyers in 4wd's)..

But in the suburbs, you don't need to mix it with cars and trucks, yet there are hardly any bike riders around.

Why so few? I notice that there are few pedestrians too, everybody is in a car.

Hi Bruce, What brand (and specs), please. Cheers.

Electric Bikes are good. . I borrowed one last year whilst it's owner was away on his Jollies. . .but it couldn't handle the really steep hills, without me pedalling furiously. . .this was against my religion so I stuffed it back in the garage.

Electric cars are a complete waste of funds here, as there are not near enough charging stations. And there are not likely to be more unless the Government provides funds to do this. ( not LIKELY ) we are already 'On the edge' with power demand almost exceeding capacity on any cold evening ( Edited for typoes)

bruce I have had an electric scooter for just over 12 years gia Carla is the make 36 volts 3x 12 volt 12 amp batteries in the process off replacing battery pack

found that the 10amp batteries don't last all that long

a couple off weeks ago picked the second hand one the motor has a had a slight heart attack doc neil doing the opp

so when the batteries snuff it I personally would replace the 12 volt 10amp with 12 volt 12amp neil

"so when the batteries snuff it I personally would replace the 12 volt 10amp with 12 volt 12amp neil"

Are they LiFePo4 , or AGM, I found the later don't like the heat & dry out quick, then they're DEAD.

I keep looking for cheaper LiFepo4 batteries but are still too expensive.

Grandson borrowed a battery pack for the camp-fridge, they (AGM ) didn't last long enough for him, & he replace the batteries with fresh ones.

Great but would have paid half the money for LiFePo4 .LoL

spacesailor