Electric Cars - the discussion continues.

Phil Perry

I dumped the Big yacht, as too much maintenance for us, & wifey say's "were too OLD to sail the Trailer yacht", I did really want to cruise down the Murry river, Through the locks to that big lake at the end.

At the moment I don't think I could flick the propeller to run the Hummel Bird for it's 30 minutes monthly run, ( 3 litres of fuel).

spacesailor

AND back to Electric car's .

It's come to light that there's a Big problem with All the petrol / diesel car's coming off the road.

It will leave a huge hole in the TAX uptake, NO federal and GST tax, being bled from the motorist.

Anyone rich enough to let me drive an electric car. ( second hand will do), as I hate paying TAX

I"m not laughing on this point. Please

spacesailor

AND back to Electric car's .It's come to light that there's a Big problem with All the petrol / diesel car's coming off the road.

It will leave a huge hole in the TAX uptake, NO federal and GST tax, being bled from the motorist.

Anyone rich enough to let me drive an electric car. ( second hand will do), as I hate paying TAX

I"m not laughing on this point. Please

spacesailor

I did read an article somewhere that mentioned this problem. It does seem to be on the radar and obviously, eventually, the tax will have to be replaced. Electric cars still need to use roads and these have to be paid for.

My son who lives in Wellington NZ recently bought a BMW I3 ev apart from anything else it made economic sense for him. This car is his daily drive. He does have 5 other cars including 2 motorsport cars but for his daily drive the I3 is great. Later this year I am going over there and we are going to do a road trip in the EV around the south island

It can't be that hard to have a "smart meter" on your car that sends the odometer reading once a year/month/week. That way taxes for road costs could be accurately and fairly worked out based on the weight of your vehicle and the amount of kilometres it does. Obviously at the moment taxing fuel does that without a meter, but it shouldn't be hard to mandate some kind of system on all new EV's.

It doen't allways work ! ( tax on mileage/hub-meters)

My Brother in NZ was accused of turning his cars speedo back, BUT AS he only drove to get a "warrant of fitness" in that particular car.

He convinced the cops that 8 mile from the mechanic, home, then return to mechanic equals the 16 mile on the speedo & no tax payable.

Who will pay for the WiFi, that the smart meter will need, Or like my Bro Drive to have it connected to ("Roads&traffic(NSW services)).

Just drove to the NSW services to pay my trailer registration. the queue was out the door, then about an hour wait. ( pink & green slips are sent to that office without my help).

My mechanic Grandchildren have equipment to read & reset OBD, computer problems, they put a OBD reader in the Pajero , so I can take any reading that pops up on the dash.send a massage & it will be fixed promoply,

(including a Mass air fault)

spacesailor

This aversion to paying tax? IF you go to an event, say car rally, you pay an entry fee which covers various things and that's ok, but when you go to something 'the whole of society event" ,You pay too but an allowance is made if you aren't rich. You get a discount or if you're really poor you get it free. Someone has to pay. It's really a matter of how equitably it's spent. Hands up those who want to live somewhere else? . Nev

This aversion to paying tax? IF you go to an event, say car rally, you pay an entry fee which covers various things and that's ok, but when you go to something 'the whole of society event" ,You pay too but an allowance is made if you aren't rich. You get a discount or if you're really poor you get it free. Someone has to pay. It's really a matter of how equitably it's spent. Hands up those who want to live somewhere else? . Nev

MEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I wanna live back in Australia. Why ?. . Because I Loved nearly Everything about the place when I lived there, and the weather was nice and never really nasty ( Well,. . not where I lived anyhow ) And I was never callled a Pommie Barstard. . ( Well, I was once but that was cuz I shot more Wild pigs than he did. . .)

The bike is a Nishiro MXT. It is legal in SA on the footpath or the road. So far it has done about 400k and is 6 months old. It can easily be found on the net. About $800 when I bought it, I think they are a bit more now, but not much. Lots of wise advice will tell you that you need to spend $3000 or so, I don't agree on account of being a cheapskate.

A couple of things I wonder about... I wonder just what battery management system it has. I can't see one at all and maybe it needs one or the batteries will not last. But they are not showing signs of getting damage so keep an open mind but check it out before buying. I guess a BMS could be retrofitted.( The battery is inside the frame and not easy to get at... not a good feature either)

The other thing is the control mechanism. To be a legal bicycle, the electric boost requires that you are actually moving the pedals to cut in. The bike is MUCH better if you use the provided twist throttle instead. That stupid rule about moving the pedals is obviously not required in China. You can change just with software and they tell you how in the manual ( which consists of a few cheap sheets of paper). Naturally, I just tried this in a safe place and then returned to the legal configuration. You will find yourself pedalling enough with the twist throttle, and the power cuts in faster when you start off, which helps when crossing main roads at the lights.

On the subject of stupid rules, the helmet requirement means that you have to wear one or get a $94 fine. Only 2 countries in the world do that to adults riding on footpaths. The helmet makes you look like a dork but then who cares?

But even with these gripes, I reckon the electric bike is the best thing I've got in recent years.

PS ... you will be welcome here in Australia Phil. When they make me dictator, I will appoint you as Nev's assistant tax expenditure overseer.

As a pedestrian I feel the need for a helmet if I have to share the footpath with bicycles. Several years ago I come out of a building onto Gladstones main street to find 3 bikes bearing down on me and not looking where they were going. I threw up my arms and shouted and one of the cyclists veered to miss me, fell off and for a moment i thought he was going through a shopfront. Luckily he missed the glass and ran for his life before I could kick his arse.

"This aversion to paying tax? IF you go to an event, say car rally, you pay an entry fee which covers various things and that's ok,"

You are Joking .

I'm Not paying those stupidly high fee's , if I can't sneak in I'm out of there !. LoL

I did think of the "Chinese dancers show" but no way could a government pensioner afford the Hundreds of dollars they want for a couple of hours entertainment.

NOW "woolies" are putting up the milk price, (only for their suppliers), which means lots of Pensioners will either go elsewhere, or Go without.

Will the government raise our pension to match Woolies increase,?. I doubt they would even think about it.

spacesailor

Pedal elect systems where you must pedal or the "assist" system cuts out are limited to 250 watts and 25kph

"Throttle" systems where you do not need to pedal but can start and cruze completely on electric are limited to 200watts and 25kph. These are the rules in Victoria and I think the rest of Australia and quite a few other countries as well.

My wife and I each have pedal elect recumbent trikes with 250 watt motor and 36volt 15 amp hr batteries. I have done 120kms on one charge and still had life in the battery, and we both did last week 350 kms of Victorian rail trails.

[ATTACH]49881._xfImport[/ATTACH]

1550559565425.thumb.png.e9c25f05d8a89e46bc4f834dfbb5feef.png

Oh, Spacey. Your best and dearest should never be expected to walk behind whilst you ride in comfort upon your red chariot.She should be walking a respectful three paces in front. Carrying a red flag!

No need for it. We don’t have a problem with land mines around here.

Same rules here hiho, they just took over the EU rules I think. 25km/hr cutout speed. So I can't be a racist, the peleton does over 30. Those recumbent one look comfortable, but maybe more dangerous on the road as you can't see or be seen so well from down low. Are they allowed on footpaths? Nice for trails tho...

Your shop rider looks good to me space. Is there a limit on the width of those things? I ask this because there is a fat and rude woman around here with an enormous one which blocks a supermarket aisle. I reckon they should be no wider than yours.

Pedal elect systems where you must pedal or the "assist" system cuts out are limited to 250 watts and 25kph"Throttle" systems where you do not need to pedal but can start and cruze completely on electric are limited to 200watts and 25kph. These are the rules in Victoria and I think the rest of Australia and quite a few other countries as well.

My wife and I each have pedal elect recumbent trikes with 250 watt motor and 36volt 15 amp hr batteries. I have done 120kms on one charge and still had life in the battery, and we both did last week 350 kms of Victorian rail trails.

[ATTACH=full]3870[/ATTACH]

They look like Greenspeeds. Back in about the mid 90s we had Greenspeed build the first recumbent trike with pedal-powered trailer, a truly awesome machine

[ATTACH]49888._xfImport[/ATTACH]

163015_10150096187206985_3404903_n.thumb.jpg.688e394bc5bbe0f2ff532da46ae48f58.jpg

Same rules here hiho, they just took over the EU rules I think. 25km/hr cutout speed. So I can't be a racist, the peleton does over 30. Those recumbent one look comfortable, but maybe more dangerous on the road as you can't see or be seen so well from down low. Are they allowed on footpaths? Nice for trails tho...Your shop rider looks good to me space. Is there a limit on the width of those things? I ask this because there is a fat and rude woman around here with an enormous one which blocks a supermarket aisle. I reckon they should be no wider than yours.

I find on the road that the traffic gives me a much wider clearance than they do when I am on two wheels.

Yes, on the roads I have more prominent flags than in that image,

Biggest risk is being to the left at the lights of a high vehicle that is also turning left. By the time the lights change the 4X4 driver has forgotten that you are there. Therefore make sure to get in front of him

Easily keep up with the lycra lads in the peleton, fall back on all but the steepest hills where on the trike select very low agear and just keep spinning,