Electric Cars - the discussion continues.

Phil Perry

Electric cars are still only for rich people, but that is changing slowly. $15,000 US would pay for a new small real car and years of petrol. And a lot better than that Messerschmidt.

Dunno if I would ever buy a single seat car , although a single-seat glider seems right.

Messerschmitt was actually a derogatory name for the BFW 190 and 110.

Like calling a Spitfire a " Mitchel".

Barvarian Flugzeug Werks is now BMW.

Australia couldn't make an engine, so after the war we sought out motor engine makers GMH and Ford to do this.

Now we don't make engines anymore, except maybe Jabiru.

THE LATE

Stan Sainty, was an exceptional engine maker,

Started in the under-house garage then a proper workshop, in Wentworthville, than out to his sons property.

His first engine, "It was basically a four-valve Rodeck copy. "We bought a pattern and cast our own cylinder blocks". From the time we decided to build the engine it took us a year to the day and we built it under the house that we still live in. That included getting patterns made, casting parts and machining up three complete cylinder blocks. I can’t remember how many sets of heads we made for that quad-cam design but it was a few." ASKED by reporter: As the engines are prototypes, will you just build two of them?

“No, we will build 10 engines, seven nitro and three alcohol, and head to the track with an arsenal of spares. We’ve built 30 cylinder heads, each worth $700 just for the block of alloy before we start working on it.”, We build from billet, (EN26) we can guarantee the soundness of the material as it is all aircraft-grade aluminium.

There should be a BOOK on him!

spacesailor

• 3 months later...

Met an "electric" car the other day Hogging the road at about 25kph, Never intending to let us "Gas-guzzler's" get passed.

Thanks to the cop that stopped it to let an emergency vehicle through. And we all pushed past. before it got back into the traffic. (West Dubbo(CB radio said it was electric))

spacesailor

Met an "electric" car the other day Hogging the road at about 25kph, Never intending to let us "Gas-guzzler's" get passed.Thanks to the cop that stopped it to let an emergency vehicle through. And we all pushed past. before it got back into the traffic. (West Dubbo(CB radio said it was electric))

spacesailor

Might have been in "limp-home" mode, I can't think of any other reason for a car (electric or otherwise) to be doing 25kph.

• 4 months later...
I think Kalashnikov already hold the record for having produced the type of weapon that's killed more people than any other.

It would have to be true, Marty. If you factored in all the wars in Africa, the Middle East and the Balkans, it would definitely exceed the toll of the M-16 in Vietnam.

Back on topic to the car, it looks like they are aiming for a retro market a bit like the PT Cruiser. I doubt it would sell well outside of Russia. Kalashnikov's electric motorcycle looks a lot more modern, if an off road type bike can ever look that.

• 2 weeks later...

An, electric car has arrived in Australia.

Has driven across Europe through Asia & landed in Darwin, now in Perth and headed for Sydney.

All done with generosity of the people he met along the way, never payed to stay in hotels or for food.

I,m going to put a battery in the Hummel to see if it works for aviators. LoL

Spacesailor

The Russian electric car, could have a big advantage over the super expensive Tesla,

Less than a $100,000

It would stand in a free market.

Buy a Tesla and never pay for petrol again

OR

Buy an Hyundai & have a lifetime of free fuel, with the difference in the price.

spacesailor

Electric cars should last a lot longer than IC cars. Except for the battery packs.

When they get cheaper than $20,000 I'd buy one for town use. By then, the grid will be overloaded by all the chargers in use.

At least you could run a charger from solar panels although you need quite a few.

What sort of cars do you mean, Nev?

I can get complex parts for our 14 year old Peugeot via the net, at good prices. You Tube universary shows me how to fit them.

Electric cars are probably orders of magnitude simpler, thus fewer parts. There will always be someone supplying parts if the demand is there.

Plenty of them don't supply parts after say 5 years. I'm not going to name them here specifically but German and Japanese at least are guilty. (Not all) It's possible the Peugeot is better in that regard. When I had the earlier ones and working on them extensively I could always get parts, and if you knew what you were doing they were quite cheap and good quality.. I believe Aston Martin will supply any part but they are EXPENSIVE. Moto Guzzi has a good name in that regard also. The usual parts include ignition locks Trans parts power steering boxes etc Nev

A mate of mine has a DB7 - cracked rear tail lens cost him £5K as the rear light is a sealed unit...

Remember, the car manufacturer these days doesn't make a lot of parts - they are purchased, either to specification or off the shelf from OEM manufacturers - and these usually have licence to produce spares - so while the car manufacturer will stop selling them after a while, you will be able to get them from the OEMs and if there is demand, other manufacturers will clone them.

With advances in 3D printing, many parts will be able to be made to order reasonably cheaply some time in the future..