Electric Cars - the discussion continues.

Phil Perry

People have been saying that ever since Edison gave it so much bad press. I'd suggest that although electricity has been proven to be capable of hurting humans, it had also been demonstrated too often, that petrol has seriously injured too many kids. Probably (guessing here, must ask my uncle google.) Petrol kept for mowers has caused more injury than electric mowers have. It's not easy to cut the cord with an electric mower, and even if one did manage to do so, its highly unlikely to result in electric shock. (Unless the operator picked up the severed cable and pressed the end onto their skin.)

Some time ago a friend of mine who had a young son with Asperger's syndrome was mowing the lawn with his electric mower, he looked up to see his son with a pair of garden shears about to cut the power lead. NNNNOOOOO he shouted but too late. there was an audible "bang" and all the power went off. Luckily no injuries thanks to earth leakage detectors

When I was a boy I was fascinated with science and tech. This led me to be electrocuted by 240 volts on2 occasions, luckily I survived without any lasting effects ((some may disagree). The fact I survived this was more due to luck I suspect. I also went through a stage of playing with my dad's lawn mower fuel, yes the flame will travel via the vapor trail into the open petrol can, just one more of life's lessons.

SONo OIL/GAS/ or Coal-fired power stations to charge your car's or to cook your meals on an electric oven!.

I was given yo understand the Nuclear power stations aren't enough for everything.

spacesailor

Legislate that all new houses should have solar roofs (won't be long before sheets of colorbond will be solar panels - plug & play) - and battery packs the capacity of a couple of Tesla Powerwalls. Hey presto, enough power to run your house and car. No coal or nuclear involved.

The fact is that if the government had a clear plan to transition to a variety of renewables - hydro, wind, solar, with on-demand by pumped hydro, molten salt and battery, with additional gas backup - then we'd be on the road to cheaper power. But nope, they're stuck between the future and the conservatives.

That's NOT surprising, but it really doesn't cover the whole gamut of how fit for purpose it is. It certainly should not have any starting problems. I think it was a market failure in this country. There could be reasons not associated with it's quality for this. Perfect car for leaving at railway stations if a cheap version was available. India makes something cheap. About 110 years ago electric cars were available in the US. Nev

Yes but if you do only short trips you need a new exhaust system every 18 months in a petrol car. Get one of those things you run over people's feet in the supermarket with . No need for Rego. Get with the strength. Customise the Paint job. Get you grandson to do it for the price of a few spraycans and some glue on flowers. Nev

• 2 weeks later...
Here's a smack in the eye for the loyal long standing members of the NRMA:They are giving $10 million, to the electric car owners, to have free charging points available.

No chance of free safety checks for ALL their members.

spacesailor

They can see where the future is.

See where the future is!

I just checked the NRMA new car price,

Tesla $134,050. ( only for the rich)

Top of the line Toyota Land Cruiser, $88,830, difference $45,220.

Fuel at $1.50 p litre, 30,146 litres, average consumption (touring) 14LP100.= 0.14litre p kilometre = 215,328 kilometres.

Four seater sedan versus Luxurious seven seater

If only I could get that FREE 215,328 kilometres. ( fuel consumption base on daughter's V8 diesel Cruiser)

spacesailor

Tesla $134,050. ( only for the rich)

My son has ordered a Tesla 3 $35000 US although he is importing it into New Zealand but still not too pricey (well for me it is) The projected price of the 2018 Nissan Leaf will be $37820. The point about electric cars is that they are still early in their development (other than some very early cars) They are expensive in the same way that my first computer was. We do know from experience that once a technology takes off it progresses rapidly and the price falls

Just working the brain !.

I am just reading the replacement cost of the Tesla S85kw battery pack, 6 years and it could be down to 60%, and cost "Yes the full price of the battery pack now is $45,000".

(Submitted by 88MPG on Sat, 2014-06-28 23:41) so could be cheaper at 2017.

That's another FREE 215,328 kilometres. compered to a big V8 diesel Cruiser.

spacesailor

Just working the brain !.I am just reading the replacement cost of the Tesla S85kw battery pack, 6 years and it could be down to 60%, and cost "Yes the full price of the battery pack now is $45,000".

(Submitted by 88MPG on Sat, 2014-06-28 23:41) so could be cheaper at 2017.

That's another FREE 215,328 kilometres. compered to a big V8 diesel Cruiser.

spacesailor

Can you post a link because I believe that those figures are not correct?

."The battery in a Tesla EV after the suggested 840.000 km (ok, lets take 500.000 km, still great!) still has 80% capacity left!"

Tesla Model S battery degradation data

Lead acid batteries lose capacity quite fast and I reckon lithium are better. If you buy a new lead-acid battery today, it may well be the last one you ever buy.

Recently, my car failed to start due to an old battery and I shocked the wife by buying $10 worth of " battery rejuvenator" instead of a $150 new battery.

Well it starts the car again, but not that well so I've ordered $50 worth of super-capacitors to put in parallel with that old battery and I hope it will start as good as ever.

I put my old batteries in a bank of five or six using my old jumper-leads, they're retaining 12.2 v per month, then I put the solar-panel on them to bring them up to 13.9v,

and use an inverter to power my hand tools as when needed,also charging the 18v by way of it's 12 charger.

Don't let the bureaucrats know or they'll find a way to charge me $.

spacesailor

The idea of rejuvenating old batteries is BS. I've built my own lead acid batteries many years ago. Deep cycle ones can last a long time because of their design.

If you have cases swelling at the ends forget it, It's dead. Open up an old battery or one that's been left flat or overcharged at too high a rate (AGM type) and have a bit of a squiz at it and you won't like what you see.. Just dropping most batteries gently will damage them internally. If just one cell in a normal battery is down it won't keep working at any high discharge situation. I've had lead acid batteries that went 11 years but they were Original build, made in Germany. Most Crap you buy goes about 3 years. (built to a price). Nev