Electric Cars - the discussion continues.

Phil Perry

Untill they get squashed by a Registered (paying) vehicle.

Then the cyclist wants the world to pay, for their recovery.

To day I saw a cyclist in a Pedestrian (parramatta mall) area, swearing at people that didn't jump out of his (male of course) way quick enough for his high speed journey.

( I was sitting down at the time,( shoulde't he have by Law, a BeLL !.))

spacesailor

I drive a car and I ride a bike. I am appalled at some motorists attitude to cyclists. Most car drivers seem to forget that cyclists are people going about their business or recreation because they get slowed down.

Sometimes I'd like to kick their doors in. So you are in a hurry. Why? Leave a bit earlier to get where you are going. They get in their steel container on wheels with all the creature comforts they could want but then the psyche changes from normal reasonable human behaviour to an aggressive stance that anyone who is not like me needs to be down trodden so get out of my way. Maybe the best way is to separate the 2 modes of transport/recreation. This does happen in a lot of places and it is good but even on the shared roadway a cyclist should always have priority so long as they keep within the laws that exist.

MY PET HATE IS.

When are cyclist going to be FORCED to Obey the laws that the same road user's have to obey.

No lights,No signals. NO road sense, ( like cars & road-trains), NO passenger's in Trailers, AND no repercussions when caught breaking the LAW.

Band into a car, then walk away without a care, leaving a big bill for that owner. riding through a red light causing emergency stop to cross traffic, with problems for the Motorist ( rear ended), they just Pees off . NO WORRIES here.!.

My daughter swore at one today upsetting her Mum.( FFing Deckhead) .

I'm not getting on my bike now.

spacesailor

Where I live, I've found that 99% of cyclists are good, law abiding, smart road users. Unfortunately the bad eggs that make up the other 1% tend to unfairly tarnish the reputation of all cyclists. I've come around blind corners on regional roads in a 80-100kph zone and experienced cyclists three abreast taking up the whole lane. I guess it can only be a death wish or gross stupidity, most likely the latter. But for every incident like that, I drive past many hundreds of good cyclists.

The Queensland Labor government passed laws enforcing one meter minimum clearance when passing cyclists, with an exemption for the cars to cross the double lines when safe to do so. Since that law came into effect, there's been a big difference in my area. Most cars now go out of their way to give more than the minimum clearance and slow down as well. It's very rare here now to see a car driver doing the wrong thing by cyclists. It was a good example of government intervention being a good thing. And I feel that since those laws came in, the cyclists are more aware and responsible as well. A win/win situation.

That ACE E V is so ugly,,Why make the cab narrower than the rear body.

spacesailor

I believe they're buying the body panels "off the shelf" from somewhere, so they don't have a lot of choice in the looks.

It's a commercial vehicle anyway. I assume business users would be more interested in the range, running/maintenance costs etc than the look.

I wonder about battery efficiency. The Hyundai Kona gets over 400km from full charge, I see the Nissan above will get 270ish. So what if you don't use it, do only 50 a day and charge it each night how will the batteries fare. For best condition and longevity of life should you wait till Battery is low before charge.

Maybe they should bring out a cheaper commuter with 100km range for day to day. Most families these days have two breadwinners and if they can afford, 2 cars. A little run around and a family car.

I wonder about battery efficiency. The Hyundai Kona gets over 400km from full charge, I see the Nissan above will get 270ish. So what if you don't use it, do only 50 a day and charge it each night how will the batteries fare. For best condition and longevity of life should you wait till Battery is low before charge.Maybe they should bring out a cheaper commuter with 100km range for day to day. Most families these days have two breadwinners and if they can afford, 2 cars. A little run around and a family car.

I think people don't necessarily plug their car in every night.

The lithium battery types seem to have best life if not fully discharged - I believe they like shallow cycles. The current (sorry for the pun) hybrid vehicles are all use lithium batteries, and work on a 'partial discharge - then top' up usage, and it seems to work.

The nickel cadmium batteries seemed to have best life when deep cycled.

I suspect that the EV might be quite happy to have short runs and a top up each night.

At least, that's how I understand it. I stand to be corrected.

The lithium battery types seem to have best life if not fully discharged - I believe they like shallow cycles. The current (sorry for the pun) hybrid vehicles are all use lithium batteries, and work on a 'partial discharge - then top' up usage, and it seems to work.

The nickel cadmium batteries seemed to have best life when deep cycled.

I suspect that the EV might be quite happy to have short runs and a top up each night.

At least, that's how I understand it. I stand to be corrected.

I think that is about right. my son has a 5 year BMWI3 which I spent the last 2 weeks driving and he just plugs it in every night. He is only using a standard 8amp charger. It is set to charge automatically when the off-peak tariff kicks in. The cost on off-peak is $1 per 100km. At 5 years the battery has only lost 500 wh. He is trading it in on a Tesla 3 when they become available in NZ, I can't wait to drive it.

I believe regarding batteries that there are software limitations imposed, when it says it is empty it is not actually totally flat and the charging regime is controlled for longest battery life.

Yesterday I had a good look at a new electric vehicle designed to replace 4wd service vehicles in mines. It is a five seater with a tray. It can be recharged from any “face box” in the mine at 415volts but a 1000 volt version is coming. The trouble is it costs $300k where the same machine in diesel form costs $100k. So no one will buy it. The manufacturer is going to lease it to customers at the same lease rate as a diesel. He figures the electric version will last ten years instead of three and he will come out OK. At least it will get used and people will become comfortable with the idea. It is a really attractive machine and I hope it succeeds.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
That's an awful lot!

Do you think they could make THAT many so quick.

spacesailor

Does sound huge but then at the moment tesla has made 86555 in the last 3 months (one of which is my sons, it has arrived in the country  -New Zealand, and should be ready to pickup within the next few days) and best of all I get to borrow it when I visit at the end of the year.

Amazon  is also a major investor in Rivian and Ford is planning on building a pickup truck on Rivians "skateboard platform"  Plenty of money sloshing around. Since this Amazon van is scheduled to be rolled out between 2021 and 2014 I guess we will see.