Electric Cars - the discussion continues.

Phil Perry

Marty - No, no Hummer driver here, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Toyota man, I drive a pretty basic, 2013 diesel SR Hilux trayback. There's one saving grace - I'm not fat.

Facthunter - No tatts, either, I have more sense than to inject unknown quality dyes and pigments into my largest body organ, that has to last me at least 90 years (I hope), and which prevents me from just being a puddle on the floor.

I do like the image I've presented in your minds eye, though. Isn't that a great thing about internet anonymity? You can continue to present as anything or anyone, if you're very careful.

I often try to figure out if posters are male or female, it can be very hard sometimes, as I believe females often have a different view from males, in many areas.

[ATTACH]50684._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Internet-dating.thumb.jpg.305241fd4c29bc4dc21957ee2501702a.jpg

I'll pretty well guarantee every new tattoo helps support your local Outlaw Motorcycle Gang. I'm staggered at the amount of money some people have spent on tatts, they must have spent multiple thousands.

Few people understand that a tattoo is an allergic reaction - your skin rebelling, and trying to reject the foreign materials you've injected into it.

I get really disappointed when I see a pretty young girl decorated with crap all over her skin. Why don't they understand they're already exceptionally beautiful, without the tatts?

I often find the simplest reason is stupidity.

Must be why you see so many with their children's name  stamped on.  Can't remember their kids but the skin does.

I can understand proper body art but the majority just have crap.

So I just translate to effwitt.

They'd taste just like cheap Chinese inks, dyes and pigments.

What amazes me, is that virtually every medical/cosmetic product that goes into your body has to meet medical standards, and list their ingredients.

Not so, tattoo inks. And what they have found in the unregulated tattoo inks, is concerning. Then there's the long-term physiological impact of the inks and other products, that get into your circulation.

https://www.livescience.com/60503-tattoo-ink-body.html

Blimey! You leanr a new thing, every day!

Actually, I have to be honest, although I would never get a tatt, a small one positioned tactically can look nice on a lady.. Though, of course... on a young lady... once they age and the epithellial cells degrade, well, it's like looking at a worn out pair of jeans with a hole in the crotch...

Also depends on the depiction, too..

And now the CHILD labour Digging minerals in the Congo have come into view, Will we be happy in our nice new Spark car, knowing how that battery mineral was obtained ?.

spacesailor

The mineral you are referring to is cobalt.  The figures I have seen are that 60% of the worlds cobalt supply comes from the Democratic Republic of Congo and of this between 10% and 25% comes from the so called "artisanal mines" many of which have very poor conditions for workers and some do have child labour which is abhorrent. Australia also produces cobalt. 

This is often used as an argument by the anti EV crowd however it ignores the reality.

Tesla batteries contain 3% cobalt, this proportion has gradually been reduced and they are aiming for 0%. 

The use of Cobalt is not confined to EV and Phone/tablet batteries.  Cobalt is used in many alloys that are used in jet engines and gas turbines, orthopedic implants such as knee and hip joints. tools, drill bits etc.

Cobalt is also used as a catalyst in many industrial chemical processes. Other uses include its use in pigments and colourants and in radio isotopes.

Its applications are to numerous to list but the one that amuses me is  its use in the refining of petrol and diesel. Cobalt is used in large quantities to remove sulphur from refined petroleum products like petrol, jet fuel, kerosene, diesel fuel and fuel oils.

It is absolutely crucial that we eradicate the small percentage of substandard mining operations so that we can continue to use this substance in for these many different applications.

The use of cobalt is not a very good argument against EVs 

I've towed a prime mover and low loader with an 18 tonne dozer on board - 28 tonnes all-up - about a kilometre, up a slight grade, on a gravel road, from a standing start - with a 4 cyl petrol traytop Landrover!

The low ranges in the Landrover give tremendous gearing. The old Landrover scratched up a bit of gravel getting the truck and float moving, but once moving, we were sweet.

We had to get the truck off the road, it broke a drive axle, and being overwidth, meant we couldn't park overnight on any public road.

How was the Landy’s clutch afterwards?

Old mate’s dump truck had to be towed uphill and onto a busy highway, then along that for a few hundred m then off the highway and up his steep driveway. It stopped after about 500m, when the gradient got extra steep.

Bet his clutch took a caning.

The Landrover clutch wasn't under any pressure. 1st gear low range is a crawler gear, you can climb the side of a house with it. I engaged 1st low with little clutch slippage, and after a bit of initial wheel scratching on the gravel, I got the float moving, and then once under way, slipped it into 2nd low. Used 2nd low all the way up the road until there was a big wide gate, and we could pull into the paddock.

Fortunately, it was all hard, gravelly-ironstone soils and dry ground - if it had been wet, or involved soft soils, it could've been a different story. Not the first time we sank the truck, or the trailer, to the makers name, in a soft patch.

The Rivian R1T looks a bit more normal than Tesla's truck. It's said prices will start at $70,000 USD, so at well over $100,000 AUD, I doubt many will sell in this country.

[ATTACH]3676[/ATTACH]

Your joking.

Mate they sell shit box Toyota utes with glitz for that and they are crap. The Rivian would be a big seller and toymotor should be very scared.

Unfortunately, the Rivian was going to rely on a huge amount of GM pickup parts in its construction. But that all went to hell in a handbasket, when GM demanded an arm and leg, and Rivians firstborn, as part of a JV deal.

So Rivian has now got $500M from Ford - and Plan A is for Rivian to build the electric platform, then send the platform to Ford factories for completion - obviously using vast amounts of Ford pickup parts.

I'll wager we'll shortly see Plan B - where Ford assume manufacture of everything Rivian, on their terms, and Rivian will just become a "model name" for an Electric Ford.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/24/gm-wanted-too-much-from-ev-start-up-rivian-opening-door-for-ford.html