Australian Federal Election 2022

Jerry_Atrick

You can start with attacking the attack on SCIENCE as a priority.. Abbott led that and He's a Rogues Collar,. He knows only how to WRECK. Making a virtue of Ignorance is not the way forward.. What  GOD was blamed for science now explains much of, and it keeps delivering answers. Only 6% of Americans think the Earth is FLAT.  When Columbus sailed the the majority of earthlings though it was flat.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, facthunter said:

When Columbus sailed the the majority of earthlings though it was flat.

Probably true if you are counting in all the non-sea-faring peoples, for whom the shape of the whole world didn't matter one iota. As long as the boundaries of their land claim, be it personal or tribal, were marked clearly, that was good enough. That the Earth was a sphere was known from the earliest days of civilisation in those various places around the world which had risen above a subsistence  existence and had time to sit and think about esoteric subjects.

The fear expressed by Columbus' sailors was simply a fear of not knowing what was over the horizon. Columbus told them, "It'll be the Indies or China". They probably thought, "Yeah. Right. More likely to be beasties that want to eat me. The things a bloke will do for 666 maravedis per month and found." 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

OME, I used to think like you, but these days I see the labor party as representing the bureaucracy more than the likes of me. AA did nothing during his time as minister to curb CASA excesses.

And the bureaucracy seem to think that the self-employed are all millionaires. Gosh my heart goes out to those people trying to run a restaurant, for example, with crippling costs including wages.

These days, I support the Sustainable Australia party, which alone wants to reduce immigration.

Good luck with that. If we don't fix Global warming we will have an explosion of Immigrants thinking this is BIG place full of RICH people who are keeping it to themselves It's about 11 years since the Labor party had any chance of affecting anything and "wrecker A Bot" tried to eliminate any project that had a whiff of Labor about it. OUR current situation  is OWNED by the LieNP well and truly.  Nev

• Like 2

If this is an accurate reflection of a bill, which appears to outlaw, or at least limit the use of class actions, then I would recommend you to use your vote carefully is all I can say... If nothing else,  I like the end quote of Julian Hill:

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Informative 2
  • Sad 1

We're starting to see some early signs of election campaign tactics. Labor will no doubt keep pushing the line that Scummo can't be trusted and tells fibs. He does have form, so there should be no shortage of material for Labor attack ads. What else they have up their sleeve will probably become evident soon. After the last election, I don't expect them to release any grand policies, probably more like Howard's 1996 method of releasing policies late in the campaign to make a smaller target. That worked for them after Hewson's punch on the nose in 1993 election. You can see the similarity of Hewson's election to our last one where Shorten got a kick in the rear end.

On the other side, the government looks set to trot out the tired old line that Labor can't manage the economy, and the government has saved us from covid economic destruction. They won't be able to run their old debt and deficit line, but at least have covid as an excuse for their own ballooning debt. Up near the top of the list will be lots of dog whistling about about potential war with our biggest trading partner. The Chinese are coming and only the Libs can keep us safe. And with their very personable android defence minister fronting the cameras, how could they go wrong. They've already indicated that those Labor pinkos are too soft on China.

In summary, on the Liberal side the emphasis at this stage is economy and defence. On the Labor side, trust and integrity. The attack ads should be interesting this time around.

27 minutes ago, willedoo said:

…the government looks set to trot out the tired old line that Labor can't manage the economy, and the government has saved us from covid economic destruction.

This collossal fib has kept the inept LNP in power for most of the last century. 
The reality is that the LNP has sold out our country’s long-term interests to transnational corporations, who make a motza from Australia, but put little back in (except they make generous donations to political parties…)

Howard’s government trebled the debt they inherited from Keating.

Labor policies have consistently prioritised our long-term national interest; Whitlam’s government was close to preventing the wholesale pillaging of our mineral resources by foreigners. Little Norway did and they now have over a trillion in national savings, while vastly rich Australia is a trillion dollars in debt.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Old Koreelah said:

Howard’s government trebled the debt they inherited from Keating.

Also pre covid, the Libs had doubled the debt they inherited from Rudd and Gillard. But they still continued to use the 'Labor debt' mantra.

It amazes me how gullible some people are. Before the last election, I was talking to a bloke who thought the government had payed off the debt. That was that 'back in the black' BS the scoundrels were spruiking. I had to explain to the poor fellow that the black thing was a projected budget surplus for 18 months in the future, and arguably estimated on cooked figures, but he had thought Scummo and Co. had payed off the half trillion dollar debt. The scary thing is that you don't need a brain to vote.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, willedoo said:

The Chinese are coming and only the Libs can keep us safe

In 1938 the current LNP grandfathers said the same thing about Japan. 

Once again, a popular myth fails the test of research. On a quick review of the political games played in Canberra from October 1937 to October 1941, it wasn't incompetence in handling the war situation by the Conservatives that put Labor into Government. It basically boiled down to a clash of personalities between Menzies (of the forebears of the Liberal Party) and Earle Page (of the Country Party, now the Nationals).

• Informative 1

What we are going to see is the LNP pushing the fear of war with China. They will point up the Chinese flying in Taiwanese territory, even though that territory is nearer mainland China than Taiwan. They will push the fact that China wants to control Taiwan, but never mention that China knows a war over Taiwan involving USA would be self defeating. They don't want war, they want control by stealth, but PMT and his LNP cohorts will only push that Labor would go soft on China and we need them to look after us.

There will be more rorts in the lead up to the election and LNP will also be telling us that if we don't vote for them, we will be missing out on perks here, there and everywhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yenn said:

There will be more rorts in the lead up to the election and LNP will also be telling us that if we don't vote for them, we will be missing out on perks here, there and everywhere.

In New South Wales you don't need an election to get rorts, just an erection.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Politics has become a race to the bottom, as ignorance spreads like the flu.
Distrust of conventional authorities is at historic levels, so plenty of grubby politicians get traction by giving the wink to crazy nut jobs. Our PM is one of them.

Meanwhile, high profile scientists are getting death threats.

BE370641-B0F6-4B86-BD2A-94381B7BF5E5.png

• Like 1

Oh please stop it!

What with the way that masses of humans displaying a total lack of reasoning in the Trump saga, and Covid selfishness and denial......

I'd already lost all hope for the human race.

Now I'm still trying to get over watching the theatrics of Question Time yesterday. To think that the second most important MP in Australia was beet faced and ranting anti 'other party' insults (avoiding addressing a question), then paused to calmly ask 'Mr Speaker, how am I doing , so far?' only to resume his embarrassing tirade.... And I agonisingly realised that this mob will in all probability be placed in power for yet another term of insulting our collective intelligence ......

OldK, your inverted pyramid is no joke. It represents the demographic of our electorate.

I was depressed before. Now my alcohol expenditure is sure to go through the roof.

Edited by nomadpete
!!#!!
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1