Australian Federal Election 2022

Jerry_Atrick

2 minutes ago, Yenn said:

you cannot lie if someone else fills in the forms for you

Unfortunately for that idea, on any form that is used to supply information to State of Federal governments about yourself, you have to make a declaration that the information is true and correct. You do that by signing the document. You shouldn't sign any document that has a legal binding if you haven't checked that the content is true and correct.

You can't cry, "Oh! I'm a busy person. I can't read everything completely that I am asked to sign." Too bad; so sad. 

• Agree 2

I doubt he ever actually signed it. WE will Know the reasons for the decision sometime in the future. Surely you would know them when you are making the decision.. The LAW never ceases to amaze (and disappoint) me.. It's not even remotely accessible for non  multi millionaires.. Over the door of the Courthouse it should read "Abandon ALL  HOPE all ye who enter HERE" .  There's NO Justice only weird law at best. 

• Like 1

The law is an ass conceived to keep the masses under control.

Be that as it may, I am leaning towards OME's assessment. If Djoko didn't sign the entry form, someone did, otherwise would he have even been allowed in without certifying his declaration? If someone did it without his permission, isn't that some form of criminal fraud (can't think of the actual term); If he did, the excuse of not reading doesn't wash with me as it is not a 500 page volume - it is a few simple questions...

The thing I hate about these "forms" is that they seem to be rarely used, except for the discretionary pleasure of some official (I am sure they have dual purpose of stats collection). As an example, when entering Australia, one has to fill out a form to declare if they have brought biological matter (dead or alive) into the country, lest it could contain soe bug that could devastate Australia's multi-billion dollar agri-industry, not to mention wreak havoc on the local ecology. Yet, the maximum fine for a (presumably intentional) false declaration? Last time I looked it was $250. The same amount it was the first time I had returned from an international flight, some 25 years prior. Obviously,  it is that important.

BTW, how would you feel in Aus at the moment.. After 18 months of so of heavy lockdowns, border restrictions, etc. to keep people very safe, it has just been let rip...

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

BTW, how would you feel in Aus at the moment.. After 18 months of so of heavy lockdowns, border restrictions, etc. to keep people very safe, it has just been let rip...

As a Tasmanian I'm a little unhappy - we've been extremely lucky because of our isolation and pretty much missed the Delta strain.  For a long period we had zero cases in the community.  In fact we've pretty much had no lockdowns (4 days I believe) and minimal change to our lifestyles.

I know the state government had planned to open up on 15/12/21 but the effects of Omicron on other states should have led them to keep the drawbridge up for another few months to see what would happen.  Our health system was already running at its limits before covid.  Now it's here, and the number of employees having to miss work and isolate because of it, not to mention the health system, is causing far more of an economic impact than the tourism sector missing out on mainlanders.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 1

Djokovic did sign a declaration I think, but it was filled in by one of his support staff. The minister did say that he accepted the incorrect declaration as an honest mistake. I wonder why when that alone would have been grounds ro revoke his visa. That is the visa he must have used to enter Australia, issued by our government, but according to Scumbag he didn't have a visa. Why did he have to have three judges to revoke what he didn't have.

If Scumbag continues on in the way he has been going the electors must wake up to what a ratbag he is, or will they?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

As a Queenslander, I have much the same position on it as Marty in Tasmania. We've gone from an almost covid free state to cases in the tens of thousands almost overnight. There's no great economic and business boost from opening up as everyone is laying low. I would have preferred a more staged border reopening, at least until RA tests are available and a few other logistical things were worked out. At the moment, we can't get RATs or proper grade masks. It's been a sh*t show since December 13th..

Although it's not official government policy of herd immunity/let it rip, it's obviously their intent. Otherwise why would they be giving up and lifting most restrictions the more the numbers rise out of control. It's like the government has thrown the gates open and said to us ' wear a mask & good luck; se you on the other side'. The virus tearing through the entire community was probably always going to happen at some stage; I just wish they'd done it in a smarter and more controlled way.

Edited by willedoo
  • Agree 2

You mean like Western Australia has done,  by keeping a tight hold on their border..

If they keep the virus out. They may have to leave our FEDERATION.

The new name, for our new country. .?.

MTSTATE

Population 2.66 mil. 75% live in Perth metro?  Leaves 675 thousand for that vast M T SPACE.

spacesailor

• Agree 1

East Coasters have always considered W.A. to be the equivalent of another country, anyway!

And we voted for secession in 1933, and the Ayes won by a substantial majority - then that snooty Pommy Parliamentary Select Committee reckoned the secession couldn't proceed, because the Aussie Federal Govt didn't agree to it!! It was that lousy, W.A.-ignoring Federal Govt, that we wanted to kick in the nuts!

W.A., as always, was carrying the country during the Great Depression, because of the States massive gold production effort!

Although the Feds finally got the message, and carved State funding up more fairly, after that shock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1933_Western_Australian_secession_referendum

• Like 1

11 hours ago, spacesailor said:

herd immunity

Herd immunity occurs when a large portion of a community (the herd) becomes immune to a disease, making the spread of disease from person to person unlikely. As a result, the whole community becomes protected — not just those who are immune.

Vaccination:  from vaccine (adj.) "pertaining to cows, from cows" (1798), from Latin vaccinus "from cows," from vacca "cow," So, ScoMo  thinks we are all silly moos.

Vaccination is not to be confused with "ovation", which derives from the Latin, 'ovis" - sheep and has come to describe the speeches of politicians aimed at leading the electorate (sheep) to the slaughter.

• Like 1

"ovation", which derives from the Latin, 'ovis" - sheep

Before you set the Etymology Police onto me, let me say, "It's a joke, Joyce".

Ovation:  From the Latin ovationem  "a triumph, rejoicing," noun of action from past-participle stem of ovare "exult, rejoice, triumph," 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for clearing that up, OME.

I thought 'herd immunity' was a myth, spread vocally by antivaxxers.

But I already figured out that ScoMo thinks we are all silly moo's (at the same time as thinking we are all sheep).

Methinks maybe been listening to too many sermons about a saviour leading the flock.

• Like 1

If I wanted a Theocracy, I'd move to Iran. They didn't actually vote for the form of government they Finally got but now they are stuck with it.  Once God's there, you can't rise against him (so the story goes).. 

Trump assassinated one of their popular Chiefs with a drone. They have a charge of Murder out against Trump, which is fair enough I would think..  IF you wish to be fair, but what's fair in the US now.? They have assassinated many of their own presidents, but if Trump was despatched, there'd be a civil war in NO time. You don't even have to attack America. It's attacking itself. IT professes Democracy but won't let it operate, ANYWHERE.. Money and GREED  is their GOD.. Sco Mo is a poor imitation, running?? a worse show by the day...  A poll yesterday has Labor's PRIMARY vote ahead ot LieNP. That's without preferences being considered..Nev

• Like 1

13 hours ago, old man emu said:

from vacca "cow," 

Here's one for you, ome. As you'd know, the Spanish word for cow is vaca, obviously derived from the Latin word. A vaquero is Spanish for the equivalent cowboy in America. A lot of non Spanish speakers wrongly pronounce the word as va-qwere-o, pronouncing the V as our V and the Q as a soft Q. More correct is pronouncing the V as a soft B and the Q as a hard Q.

The pronunciation then becomes ba-care-o. Say that enough times and you can see how close it is to the American term Buckeroo, which the Americans often use to describe a kid cowboy, as in little buckeroo. As a lot of cowboying was done down near the Mexican border where the term vaquero was common, I recon that's where the term buckeroo originated.

• Informative 2
  • Winner 1

Palmer might be all sorts of things you don't like, but we all claim that freedom of speech is a Right of every citizen. If he has the Doe Ray Me to spend on his campaign, then why shouldn't he do that? If you had a roll that would choke Phar Lap, and had similar desires to influence the electorate, wouldn't you?

• Sad 1