Australian Federal Election 2022

Jerry_Atrick

Submarines? Which ones and when.

Frigates? Cancelled ?

Helicopters? Who knows.

It seems that every piece of equipment for our defence forces is either no good, too expensive or maybe not made by the correct people.

Meanwhile Peter Dutton, the defence minister I think is suggesting that the defence forces should be working in aged care. What is happening?

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Yenn said:

Submarines? Which ones and when.

Frigates? Cancelled ?

Helicopters? Who knows.

It seems that every piece of equipment for our defence forces is either no good, too expensive or maybe not made by the correct people.

Meanwhile Peter Dutton, the defence minister I think is suggesting that the defence forces should be working in aged care. What is happening?

What is behind these incomprehensible stuff-ups?

Weapons builders work with the sort of profit margins that make most other manufacturers look like losers. Plenty of spare cash for “lobbyists” to wine and dine those we trust to make decisions in the national interest. There are whole suburbs of incredibly wealthy “defence advisors” around Washington. 

Keeping this disease out of Australia should be a national priority.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

President Eisenhower warned of the threat to our democratic way of life by the "unwarranted influence" of the "military-industrial complex" in his Jan 1961 farewell speech. And this bloke had been a 5 star General before he became President.

Very few of us still alive, can recall a period of time when the worlds giant global military-industrial complexes didn't exist. That was well before WW2.

The Cold War era ensured the M-I C became more powerful than it was even during WW2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisenhower's_farewell_address

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

All this grumbling about the immorality of politicians on this Forum is one thing, but surely if one has a strong opinion about the subject, one should shout it to the World. I am going to be bipartisan and say that which ever side of the fence you are grazing on, it's time to lean over the fence and bellow out your support for your preferred Party.

I'm going to put up a heap of Conservative Party posters along my roadside fence and daub the word "liar!" on each one so that passing motorists get my message. 

What are you going to do?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, facthunter said:

Morrison over ruled the local Lib Branch to get Kelly in. He deserted the Liberal party so THAT wasn't such a good idea, Sco Mo., was it?  Nev 

Has Scomo ever had a good idea?  The ONLY thing he's got going for him is at least he's not Dutton.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

An interesting read, but nothing surprising in it.

Probably the redacted portions of the FOI documents are indicative of the most condemning information. The nature of witheld information causes speculation of the most negative kind. For me, that implies that there was significant poor behaviour documented, that has been blacked out in order to keep the full story from damaging the current ambitions of somebody. But of course, without honest transparency, I am just guessing.

• Like 1

Clive has allocated $100M to his election campaign and probably doesn't care if it runs to $200M.  This is a bloke who gets $350M a year falling into his lap, without lifting a finger, from SINO magnetite royalties. That's around a $1M a day just from pegging some leases and signing a few contracts.

Mind you, his "partnership" with SINO is a rocky one, and he reckons all Chinese are "bastards" - but he doesn't mind accepting their money. The reason they are bastards is because the Chinese are the shrewdest business operators around, and they're aren't the pushover Clive thought they'd be.

• Informative 1

Acts like a spoiled Brat. Vexatious legal  acts. Copious claims of being hard done by. Great bloke. Owed money to workers of a failed Nickel project. The government paid them out. He was building the TITANIC at  one stage. IF HE's the answer just remind me what the question was. Nev

• Agree 2

Wow.. a day in politics SFM/PMT decided to push ahead with the religious discrimination boll (or whatever it was called). 5 Libs crossed the floor, including David Sharma, who is not known for too much of a moral compass when it comes to the vote. The Age (Fairfax/Costello paper) ran the story that the bill passed, but amended to protect trans kids. The ABC ran the story that it was a huge defeat for the LNP (or at least Morrison) that 5 of his members decided to cross the floor..

Well, the truth, I think, is somewhere in between. The 5 LNP members of the lower house apparently are not polling too well in their electorates against the independents. I don't know the other 4, but Dave Sharma certainly wouldn't normally have the moral compass for anything but saving his posterior. So, I would say the truth is somewhere in between. Maybe The Age, which would have a very good line to the government knew something was going to happen and maybe the fact the crossings were that few saw it as a bit of a win, as these are probably the most at risk of independents. But clearly, with at least one senator prepared to cross the floor, the government decided to shelve the legislation: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-11/religious-discrimination-morrison-backfired/100820422

What perplexes and worries me about this, is that a government of a country that is grappling with a health crisis that, after loosening the more effective controls, has seen the economy slump as well as incredible pressure on  the health system (both public and private, I understand).  With the nobbled parliamentary days and a budget to release before the election (spoiler alert - watch for the irresistible sweeteners), one would have thought that there was more for the government to worry about than cementing the already privileged status religious organisations have with respect to application of the law to the point where debate went to 5am. And I cannot fathom why even the conservative leaning press didn't spend more time asking this question.

I saw an article in the press that Albanese is winning the battle but has yet to win the war - and this is probably true. The text leaks, and now the leak from the cabinet of the failure to pork barrel the cabinet to vote for the religious discrimination bill shows the LNP are, this time, far more worried than they were last time (and to say they weren't worried last time would be like saying they stayed on the titanic expecting it to refloat itself - which in that case, it did!). These are obviously moves to oust him.. We ask who would be the best to replace him, and my guess is, it doesn't matter. The press now have daggers for him for some reason.. but with a change at the helm, it would be an excuse for them to look impartial by backing the other guy or girl. Maybe they're warming up a seat for Gladys...

• Like 1