Australian Federal Election 2022

Jerry_Atrick

The Greens leader was asked the price of petrol at the Press Club dinner today. He ripped into the reporter for asking such a question that was only an attempt to trivialise the opportunity the media had to question him on Green's policy, and its possible arrangements to back Labor in a minority government. He also pointed out that the Greens are very likely to hold the balance of power in teh Senate, and might even get to be in the same position in the House.

• Like 1

The furor over Albo being caught off guard by the unemployment rate question is ridiculous.  Anyone can have a "deer in the headlights" moment, some days I can barely remember my own name.  The fact that they've actually got policies to address climate change, housing affordability and cost of living, where the government don't, should be of more interest to the press than a momentary forgetfulness.

• Agree 1

I

6 hours ago, old man emu said:

The Greens leader was asked the price of petrol at the Press Club dinner today. He ripped into the reporter for asking such a question that was only an attempt to trivialise the opportunity the media had to question him on Green's policy, and its possible arrangements to back Labor in a minority government. He also pointed out that the Greens are very likely to hold the balance of power in the Senate, and might even get to be in the same position in the House.

Good on him. Almost like the price of milk asked of ScoMo, it is gutter journalism.. What would have been a great response is something like, "I can't possibly know the price of petrol at every petrol station, in every state, every day, as it varies. But, I am acutely aware that the price of living is skyrocketing, so if you want to ask what impact our policies will have on the price of living is so your audience can get a better grip on things, I'd happily oblige.".

Re Albo's fauc par, the press will make a meal of it.. the difference between the RBA rates and unemployment rate is that they don;'t quite move so much and are key economic indicators/levers. Yes, there is no value in him being able to mentally recall what they are, but he fell into the same trap as ScoMo with price of milk - and he could have said not off hand, but I make sure I know it and many other economic indicators/measures when discussion the economy or making policy. While I agree, the ALP seem to have the policies needed that the LNP don't, there also has to be confidence they can be implemented (BTW, ScoMo also has proven he doesn't have the ability to implement policy)..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marty_d said:

The fact that they've actually got policies to address climate change, housing affordability and cost of living, where the government don't, should be of more interest to the press than a momentary forgetfulness.

And that is precisely why the MSM seeds the 'journalists' with inane questions. And I was so impressed when a Greens candidate called it out.

(That's just my personal conspiracy theory)

Edited by nomadpete
  • Like 3

Lack of workers  !!!.

Who,s fault is ir, ,for the missing worker,

Good BOSSES  are harder to find then a good worker.

GOOD workers are just a number to the bottom line of cash flow.

I,ve seen, bosses spend $ 5,000,000, rather than $ 104, for the workers pay.

That $ 5 m would have put another hand to the pump. Rather than refusing a 2 doller pay increase .

Thats a true story, from the 70s, when l was a worker NOT a shirker.

spacesailor

PS  that $ 5 million lasted four years befor the machine disintegrated. 

Edited by spacesailor
More added
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, old man emu said:

Forget about the state of the economy - jobs and training; forget about defence against the widening influence of China in the Southwest Pacific; forget about climate change. The real factor in this election is CORRUPTION. 

From its leader down to the least significant backbencher, lies and deceit have been the culture of the current government. The latest bit of dirty pool to come to notice is the unnecessary extension of tenure of positions to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal made by Morrison days before calling the election. He stacked the AAT with people who would reject appeals against the decisions of a conservative government, and made sure that they would be there long after the term of the government we will elect next month.

As a further means of protecting its guilty culture, the conservatives have consistently prevented the creation of a Crime Commission empowered to investigate allegations of political corruption. Why? Because they have more skeletons than the Catacombs of Paris.

image.jpeg.c46d495ab659f998bf0f22a96b8788d3.jpeg

Here are some 124 of over 900 identified instances of corrupt behaviour by teh conservatives over the past seven years. 

https://chaser.com.au/national/an-exhaustive-list-of-the-liberal-partys-corruption-over-the-last-7-years/

If Labor gains government, with or without a coalition with the Greens and Independents, it has promised to create a Crime Commission. Not that Labor sitteth at the Right Hand of the Lord, but who commits crimes when a policeman is looking over their shoulder? 

That is quite a record, and I guess, after the Albo gaffe being taken out of all proportion, he can already smell victory: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-14/scott-morrison-ditch-election-promise-anti-corruption-commission/100991568

• Like 1

I hope that the corruption will get rid of the LNP, but they are so corrupt that they may get in. There is nothing much between world leaders. Trump was corrupt, Putin is corrupt, Johnson is corrupt, but worst of all is that the parties are fully corrupted. If they had any sense of decency those leaders would all have been removed ages ago.

I am just hoping that the electorate can see that it is not just one rotten apple, but the complete bucket load of them that cannot be trusted.

• Like 1

Power at all costs. Corruption is just a vehicle to get or keep power.

When I was a member of an Aussie political part 40 years ago, it was the same and I saw some of the back room deals at the local level, so I shudder to think of what was going on at the federal level.

• Informative 1

I wonder what would happen if the journalists asked our esteemed leaders where they are going with the war in Ukraine.

I see it as more serious than what china is doing. We are letting Russia kill and destroy everything in Ukraine and our pollies know that it is not going to stop there. We need them to have a policy and not the current one which is that we don't know what to do until Biden tells us.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

When I was at Uni, I regularly attended the weekly debates in the Student Union house. These debates were held basically as an evening's entertainment with the topics being of a trivial nature. However, they were held under the parliamentary rules, and many who later became politicians were active contributors. Having watched the above video, I am of the opinion that the Members were also regular attendees and participants in these episodes of student merriment. Unfortunately, there is a wide gap between student merriment and discussion issues of National importance.

• Like 1

Albo does seem to be clutching defeat from the jaws of victory.. or history seems to be repeating itself.. No wonder he was quiet din the run up to the announcement. Surely, the ALP can find a ventriloquist?

Though, it still won't be plain sailing for SFM if this article is anything to go by: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-17/federal-election-discontent-with-major-parties-in-key-seats/100985208

Which, if representative of the general electorate, and they vote with their head rather than the apparent indoctrination that one should LNP or ALP, then it may be a very good thing, if it brings a little chaos to start, or it may be a very bad thing in one nation, UAP and other nutters get more people in...

If only one of the parties would read that article and act appropriately...

• Like 2

With the leader of the Libs a psycho, horrible man and numerous other things bestowed on him by his own mob as well as being an arrogant, corrupt, religious nutter and the leader of the main opposition able to put both feet in his mouth at the same time what hope is there. Ideally the voting public should reject them both and a myriad of independents form a government. That would be a complete shambles & nothing would get done. Hang on that is what happens now. Bugger.

• Like 1

So with the independents never being able to form government, it's a 2 horse race, as usual.

Which one do you want - the 

1 hour ago, kgwilson said:

psycho, horrible man and numerous other things bestowed on him by his own mob as well as being an arrogant, corrupt, religious nutter

, or the one who occasionally suffers from foot in mouth disease?

I know which way my vote is going.

Why are you all so worried about independants?

If we ever got a majority of independants elected, government would have to actually have meaningful debates and make decisions by thinking about the issues and then voting on them according to merit. Instead of the present system whereby during 'debate' most party members ar out in the bar drinking, waiting for the bell to ring. Then wandering in and simply voting however their party told them to. (IE, opposite to whatever the opposition party did)

If we had a majority of independants, the system might be forced to operate democratically.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, onetrack said:

Gee, Kevin, you should let us really know what you think of Sco-Mo, shouldn't you? I wouldn't like to see you hold back with any mild description, like you've just done. 

There are not enough expletives in the English language to do this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Why is there no mention of the real problems that the voters want government to fix.

Neither of the main parties want to go anywhere near climate change.

It seems that they are copying our Qld premier and spruiking "Jobs, Jobs, Jobs", while at the same time agreeing that we have a less than 4% unemployment rate.

Even with that low unemployment rate LNP are handing out money to the poor hard up population. What happens to the wages those 96% of workers are getting.

Security of the nation is a no no except for LNP boasting about what it will have achieved by about 2040. No mention of the billions of dollars wasted.

Are the majority of the population struggling to survive? Retail spending would suggest not. Are pensioners living below the bread line? Not where I live, most of my pensioner friends seem to think the government is just trying to buy their votes.

How did the federal government handle Covid? Answer is they didn't, they dodged every time a decision had to be made and our state governments stood up to the challenge. They couldn't even get the supply of vaccines sorted out. I know that was all a failure by the LNP, but Labor is keeping very quiet about it.

LNP ill win, because they can con enough fools into voting for them, but also because from every angle I look at it, Albanese doesn't want to win. He would be very happy to be leader of the opposition for another term and point out how LNP won by corruption.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yenn said:

but also because from every angle I look at it, Albanese doesn't want to win.

At first, I was going to say it is more likely the ALP don't want to win than Albo, but maybe it is both of them. Who knows, maybe the LNP are donors to the ALP, the way the ALP are going?

One thing is for sure, it is far easier drawing a salary in opposition than in government (at the front bench level I am talking). Lob all the political bombs you want and take no responsibility.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nomadpete said:

If we had a majority of independants, the system might be forced to operate democratically.

Imagine if each of us forumites was elected to parliament as an independent. If you look at our discussions on a number of topics, you will see that there is a wide range of views and idea for solving problems. How could a a policy that required parliamentary approval be achieved by a House of independents whose opinions range from the far Left to the far Right? How many independents would be prepared to amend their agendas in order to get the majority of middle of the road policies passed?