Australian Federal Election 2022

Jerry_Atrick

They clean forgot to mention how the banks escaped any intense criminal investigation by the current LNP Govt - and got away with minimal penalties, and just a few apologies, for rorting and ripping off everyday Australians - including even dead Australians - for probably at least a couple of decades, if not more.

The failure to prosecute banks to the fullest for their egregious banking conduct, is one the most compelling reasons for me, to not vote for the LNP on May 21st.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Angus Taylor is one of the most hypocritical, dishonest and corrupt liberal politicians in Australia. I can't remember a single time that he has ever spoken the truth when posed with difficult questions. He lies through his teeth with a straight face every time & completely ignores facts when presented to him. He should be in jail. Morrison is the same and of course there is Bridget Mackenzie (of Sports Rorts fame) & Barnaby from coalition partner, The Nationals currently forced to provide lip service to emissions reduction while promoting new coal mines. There are plenty more to add to the list.

The Libs are really worried about the support shown for independent candidates and they could lose several seats and therefore any chance of a majority government. Morrison & the right wing media have now gone into attack dog mode over the independents gaining popularity.

LNP still fail to do anything meaningful about Climate Change which has emerged far and away the most important issue to voters and is one of the major reasons many of the Independent candidates even exist as the LNP has been hijacked by the right & pushed moderates out. Morrison keeps harping on about how Australias emissions reduction are better than almost everyone else. For example about 88% of electricity comes from coal & gas fired power stations so a reduction of 20% of that is a lot easier than say NZ that already has 85% of its electricity from renewables & they have committed to 100% by 2030.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

The one thing that is immediately apparent about this election is the poor quality of the candidates, at least at the top level.

Morrison is a liar and cannot be trusted and his team are all picked for the same attributes. Albanese just looks like a looser, he has no saving graces and appears to be relying on Morrison losing the election. Maybe I am wrong, but it is time for Labor to start pushing the point that LNP cannot be trusted and that they have failed on just about everything that they say they have accomplished.

• Agree 3

30 minutes ago, facthunter said:

In Qld you are a bit limited as to reliable sources. 

Only in newspapers, Nev. Murdoch has the main Brisbane paper and most of the regionals. We have the same internet and television station ownership as the rest of the country. If you only sourced your news from the Courier Mail, you could form a very one eyed view if you were naive enough.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 04/05/2022 at 5:41 AM, Old Koreelah said:

And here is the response from a "moderate" LNP mermber: https://www.theage.com.au/national/to-liberals-considering-voting-teal-don-t-cut-off-your-nose-to-spite-yourself-20220506-p5aj1y.html

(use private browing mode to read it)

Her whole argument is that to get the LNP back to moderate, fair policy, re-elect them as the moderates can do more within the tent than outside it. Defies lotgic, as if they are not elected, they will still be within the moderate tent and can still effect change in the party if they had the power to do so.. which clearly they don't.. And Josh Frydenberg a moderate? Yeah, and Putin is pro-democracy and rule of law, too.

Read the comments and see how many of those you can find that support her position? I found it harder than finding the spiring amongst all those bolts..

But, I agree with Yenn.. Thanks to the ALP being able only to offer candidates designed to lose, what should be a walkover (and  may well have been if they stuck with Shorten), is now too close to call.. Numbers look like it will be a hung parliament thanks to the independents and possibly (and I will say, given policy at least, hopefully) a surge in support for the Greens. The ALP could have walked this in, but they are offering up a lack of vision and commitment - just swaying with the breeze at the moment to try and avoid any real critique - which is understandable given the usual media bias.. except that even Fairfax media is writing articles that maybe it is time for a chanage (and with the Chaney article allowing one so resolute).

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

It's a crying shame!

If you read the posts in this thread, you can form the opinion that the contributors are putting a lot of thought into this election, and seeking independent sources of information to back up their opinions. However, go amongst the average people and look how they are preparing to make a very important decision on 21st May. As i see it, they are not giving it any more thought than to work out how they can fit going to vote around a myriad of other Saturday activities they want to complete. 

Is there enough fire in their bellies to oust the LCP? Is there enough concern over the environment to have them ditch incumbents of either major party and send a Green to Canberra? Or is there such disgust with the whole Party system that they will send Independents?

Call me a pessimist, but I think that the winner in this election will be the status quo because what The Status Quo said in 1979 sums it up.

Whatever you want
Whatever you like
Whatever you say
You pay your money
You take your choice
Whatever you need
Whatever you use
Whatever you win
Whatever you lose
  • Sad 1