Australian Federal Election 2022

Jerry_Atrick

Well, today (your time) is the day! Good thing is I can tune into the ABC and watch the election night broadcast and it will be a civil hour 😉

I wonder which way it is going to go.. Fairfax news editorials are supporting Labor, apparently. The last time I saw them do that was in 1983 for the election of Bob Hawke. Will thee Greeens gain any lower house seats? Will UAPs scare texts change the ballot. Will Queensland determine the winners or losers? Even if whoever you want in makes it in, will they be able to effect the change you want? Will there be a federal (or, ahem, ferral) ICAC? With teeth?

I read Julia GHillard made a rare foray back into politics to encourage women to vote for Albanese; Scomo's wife jumped on the trail and was reported that if she was there all along, he may have been in the box seat as she is so liakeable...

Willl Josh survive (poltically)? If the LNP lose and are turfed from government, ScoMo is signalling he won't resign, so will he be able to make a comeback, or wil lthe LNP knves be sharpened and lodged deeply in his back (of course, if they lose and can't form government)?

My beloved Hawks are going to lose against the Lions this weekend, so the election will provide a pleasant distraction!

Let the sport really begin.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick

I made up my "How I'm going to Vote" card last night and am about to head out the door to use it. Luckily I have seven candidates standing in my electorate, so the National Party candidate will have to wait for ages before my preference comes his way. He'll get it, I'm sure. See the big green area in the graphic above? That's my electorate. 

• Like 1

Since the goverment/s fail to be capable of creating a week of pre-election media silence, I invoked my personal one. Haven't bothered watching the news and won't until next week, after the hand-wringing and tearful post mortems are behind us. 

I am now able of actively swiping to flick the social media/email/sms/spam.

I feel that my ageing memory is relatively able to recall sufficient political 'incidents' from the past 3 years, to get an idea of candidates 'abilities'.

Saturation last minute spruiking and mudslinging doesn't change my view.

So, chaps. I trust our forum. Has Rupert won his election yet?

I know... But I always get a little excited on election night... Currently glued to the ABC live stream... Also, the rural seats tend to count first... so expected...

Greens currently doing well in Griffith:

image.thumb.png.15ac10e3494f609a66fb85eb9325fc45.png

And similar in Ryan - both Brissie seats

Edited by Jerry_Atrick

40 minutes ago, Marty_d said:

Can you stop trying to make me depressed, Jerry?  I'm going to ignore the whole thing until we know who's won.  Then I'll either be relieved, or if Scummo is wanker-in-chief again, VERY down.

Lools liek there isn't going to me much change... in Tassie, but seats have moved from LNP to ALP, looking like greens.. and Teal indepdents look like picking up up to 4 seats from the LNP.

ABC calling it difficult to LNP to get to 70 seats

It looks to be a minority government - which is not unexpcted. If Greens pick up seats, then they will only side with the ALP would be my guess.. Indepdents are less likely too I would imaghine, but they would demand a change of leadership.

The LNP fella on the ABC panel should be close to their leader - he does seem a lot more level headed...

There's been a ferw seat wins by the LNP with nothing gained by Labor for the last hour or so.. But it is impossible for the LNP to govern as OME calls  it. It is possible that the Greeens get 4 seats , then it will be an Albanese government despite the ALP stating they will not negotiate, blah blah blah. If not, then the ALP is most likely to form government with the Teals, but it will be a very rough ride as the Teals are mainly Liberal - moderates. @Marty_d, you can sleep easy tonight.. as WA seems to be voting more Labour/Greens, rather than Tassie which looks to become a LNP stronghold.

@red750 - the ex Trade Minister (LNP), has been quite honest in a tactical way... and he admitted that the Vic Libs been disfunctional, unprofressional and underperformed for over a decade - if not decades.. So you would really prefer theirt current state machine to govern over Andrews!?! Each to their own, I say, but on competence, even the LNP are identifying them as a problem.. Let them fix their problems before handing them the right to govern, I say.. That is not to say I am glowingly endorsing Andrews or the Vic ALP.

BTW, I agree that the LNP has taken a kicking this election - but so has the ALP. There has been on a 2-party prefered swing to ALP by 2.2%, but their share of the primary vote has decreased by about 2%.. This, against a washed up LNP is not only a lack of a ringing endorsement, but it is a loss in my book.

For me, the fairest is the ALP governs in a  minority.. with the Greens/Cross Benchers holding their feet to the fire. Hopefully the LNP will regroup to be a party who ultimately believes in bettering Australia rather than vested interests and becomes a viable oppostiion.