Australian Federal Election 2022

Jerry_Atrick

2 hours ago, willedoo said:

The only way I can see they made history is by winning government with a record low primary vote. Is that it, or is there some other great part of history I missed?

They made Scomo hand in his resignation. That's historic enough.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, red750 said:

Call me ignorant if you like, but please explain this. If the government does not provide the facilities and infrastructure required, it is accused of failing in it's duty, but if it does, it is accused of pork barrelling.

Red the Morrison government amply demonstrated the difference between providing facilities and pork barelling. Wait a few months till an independent anti-corruption body is at long last operating at the federal level and you’ll hear how utterly corrupt the buggers were and how much of our public money they wasted.

Two suggestion for our new government: 

Abolish the Adminstrative Appeals Tribunal, which the previous government stacked with ill-qualified, failed LNP hacks and obscene salaries, and replace it with a simple independent Ombudsman body.

Establish an independent Press Council with teeth, to rein in the excesses of our media.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

If it was first past the post the result would have been different, but then again the voters would have voted accordingly. I am against compulsory voting and would prefer first past the post, but in this case it has worked well.

Way back before the election was called I predicted that the only way the LNP could win was if they dumped Scumbag. They didn't, for the same reason that they didn't dump John Howard in 2007. That is also what happened to the Republicans in USA. Blind Freddy could see that Trump was a liability, but he had been a big winner, so he had to stay.

I suppose the LNP will go for Dutton as leader for the same reason, he has been a big name in the past and they will not see his legacy as being an encumbrance. That is what happens with politicians, they cannot use common sense.

If Labor fall short of a majority I can see better government. It was only the fact that LNP could bully their way with legislation that kept them in power, so maybe now we will get some control of the corruption that has been common, plus some sense on the global warming and coal problems. We should also expect to see manufacturing in Australia boosted as we have experienced what a mess depending on overseas is. We should be using our primary products to bolster our economy, rather than giving them away as the LNP has been doing for too long.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

Hopefully the LNP will regroup to be a party who ultimately believes in bettering Australia rather than vested interests and becomes a viable oppostiion.

I think it is the Libs who need to regroup. The Nationals did, as Barnaby said, "What they were expected to do", and didn't lose any seats. I think it was ScoMo's little clique that held the vested interests and made the rest of their Party cop it sweet. If that clique is dissolved, then maybe the Liberals can make a contribution to sane government.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Scummo and his mob suffered a vote bleed on too many fronts at once. Labor didn't do anything much to win government. The Greens, Teal Independents, Morrison and Western Australia won government for them.

The Greens in Qld. won because of the Libs inaction on climate change and the fact they had no Teal Independents to compete with. The Teal Independents won on the same issues in NSW. Western Australia gave the Libs the flick as Covid showed them that Scummo didn't give two hoots about the people of W.A.. And Scummo helped Labor over the line by just being Scummo.

They're saying that the Greens and Jackie Lambie's mob will have the balance of power in the Senate. I think it's a good thing that the governing parties don't control the Senate as well; it keeps them on their toes and is more democratic. Control of both houses can be a poisoned chalice as Howard found out. When he finally got control of the Senate and thought he could legislate what he wanted, he passed WorkChoices and got turfed out on his ear.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

When it comes to election figures, it's often overlooked that the Coalition is a coalition of three parties, not two as many people think. Probably because federal Queensland LNP members, when in Canberra, generally sit in the party room of the party that held their seat prior to the formation of the LNP.

With the total number of declared seats for the Coalition so far being 51, the breakdown is Liberal 21, LNP 20, and Nationals 10. It's a bad result for the Liberals, with their total so far from all other states combined only being one seat more than the Queensland's LNP.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

8 hours ago, facthunter said:

Giving taxpayer  money to people or organisations that are your donors for instance, is corruption.

If a government provides free parking at railway stations, reducing the traffic on the road and reducing emissions, who is the donor. If private enterprise built the carparks, commuters would pay through the nose just like at hospitals.

12 hours ago, nomadpete said:

You are probably getting some well earned rest after your election marathon.

The big question remains.

After all your in depth analysis (and thank you for that), what is the prognosis? When are you arriving? We still make some nice, affordable reds, you know.

The prognosis at the moment is a referendum on the Uluru Statement, and an ICAC, hopefully based on the draft bill that was briught in by the independent who's name I can't quite recall, but was roudnly supported by everyone except the LNP. Beyond that, the ALP will struggle as there are economic headwinds, not of its making, that it will have to deal with. We have inflation, interest rates going up, a cost of living crisis, there will be rising unemployment and the huge debt pile left by the LNP. Add to that the instututionalised corruption let alone the party corruption, it is big mountain to climb in three years. Thee will be a lot of bumps with blind potholes behind them waiting, and then there's China and pacific security.

If the ALP get 1/2 of what they have said they will do, done, it will be a big win.. There's a lot of ship to unravel in the process. To keep them honest with climate change and social reform, I agree, the best is for a coaliation with the idenpdents/Greens. I would prefer the Greens as they are a bit stronger on social reform desperately needed to be more inclsuive and less divisive.

Whatever they get done, or not, I expect at least more mud-slinging and smear from the LNP (using it as a collective term for all three parties; I don't think the CLP won a seat in the end) and the media, in an attempt to derail the agenda. But I expect a gradual decline in corruption as Albanese seems to be of high standards, but is up aghainst a corrupt institution that has been allowed to grow under the LNP.

Re coming back.. the pandemic threw our plans right up in the air.. Less money and the project we have here to finish.. but it is going to be this year.. I was hoping July - more likely September. I hope those reds remain affordable, because the Treasury here have just introduced a new wine tax that is progressive based on the percentage of alcoholl, and Aussie reds these days have the highest.

5 hours ago, old man emu said:

The Nationals did, as Barnaby said, "What they were expected to do", and didn't lose any seats.

Not quite true. The AEC website is showing the LNP of QLD losing 1, and the Nats losing 1; of course, until the vote is 100% counted we won't know https://tallyroom.aec.gov.au/HouseDefault-27966.htm (Note, may have to refresh to get the numbers). The Nats start from a fairly strong base in demographics that are generally very conservative or where they believe the Nats look after farmers and agrculutre - so for them to lose seats would take massive swings.. However, looking at election night on the ABC, when they presented the Nats seats, all their votes were down significantly (5% or more) on the previous election... And, while the Nats may retain most, if not all their seats, I wonder what effect their politics had on Liberal voters in the city, since, for all intents and purposes, they may as well be one party. So, I would still hold, the Nats also have to look at their politics if they want to be in government again, because, if nothing else, I can't imagine the Beetrooter working well with Birmingham somehow. And I can't see him appealing to Liberal voters who know they will be helping to elect him to the Deputy PM role.

3 hours ago, willedoo said:

Labor didn't do anything much to win government. The Greens, Teal Independents, Morrison and Western Australia won government for them.

You are absolutely right. That is why Labor should not consider this a true victory and, despite being just one party, they are the Goliath of the opposition and should have done more. If they had of gone from being small target to spelling out a bold agenda on climate, economic policy (leaving out reforming negative gearing and franking credits), and social policy, they would have probably fared much better. And their shennanigans in Fowler may well cost them the majority (if the other seats get up).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

If they had of gone from being small target to spelling out a bold agenda on climate, economic policy (leaving out reforming negative gearing and franking credits), and social policy, they would have probably fared much better. And their shennanigans in Fowler may well cost them the majority (if the other seats get up).

That's exactly what they did in 2019 and look what it got them.  No wonder they were more timid this time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Marty_d said:

That's exactly what they did in 2019 and look what it got them.  No wonder they were more timid this time.

I understand that, but the electorate had moved on.. or caught up with them..  Who would have thought the greens could increase their showing in the HoR by 400%! And thanks the Greensland!

BTW, ALP one off outright majority:

image.thumb.png.ecce1cf2ea06639d398852a42097b902.png

• Informative 1

I wanted to add to the above post - but was distracted by an unbelievable upset in the AFL, where my beloved, but depleted  Hawks beat Brisbane - that controversial does not equal bold. It was clear that, especially in the face of fires, droughts, and floods (and pestulance - but no one mentions that - remember the mice plague???) that the electorate was ready for a bold leader to take Australia to the beginning of the 21st century with respect to climate friendly policies and action. The cost of living crisis begged for bold action - stuff in the Greens' policies, but Labor had little to offer. Instead, they endorsed and committed to impliment the LNP's taxation policy, which would see the poorer worse off. They have agreed to allow to continue the new coal and gas projects (which have not started yet), rather than state they would can them and, like the greens, have a transition off coal policy that would underwrite the communities and provide alternate opportunities. These are bold, but well sold, they are not contraversial - such as removing negative gearing and franking credits.

These are bold, but no longer contraversial policies - and that is what Labor needed. It looks like they will take a one seat mnajority - ironic in that the worst government, including that of Tony Abbot, also has a one seat majority. I get they are only one party, but they are a large party. I had hoped the ALP would have had to form a coalition with the Greens...

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

1 hour ago, old man emu said:

As for the medical industry, that's a closed shop. The AMA places restrictions on doctor numbers. Universities limit student places. Worst of all, young doctors can't work without a sea breeze blowing over them. The time has come when we stop putting doctors on altars and worshipping them as gods…

Well said! I once asked my sister why, after she had completed yet another advanced degree in nursing, why she didn’t just become a doctor.

Her reply was an excellent indication of how doctors are viewed by those who work most closely with them: she looked at me with surprise and said, “but I want to help people!”

Our little town hasn’t had a native-born doc for yonks. They won’t come away from the beaches and high-end cafes. Time the government grew a pair and started allocating Medicare Provider numbers on a population/geographic basis.

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

20 minutes ago, Old Koreelah said:

Time the government grew a pair and started allocating Medicare Provider numbers on a population/geographic basis.

That's one plank in a good plan. Another is to cut the knot of the AMA's Old School Tie. The joists of the plan have to be classifying health care as an Essential Service; telling Universities to increase student enrolments, and to commandeer those available places. The Federal Government already does commandeer a small number of places each year in each Faculty, so going to 100% would be a possibility. Finally, stop being so elitist in setting selection criteria for students. What proof is there that a kid with a 99.9% score makes a better doctor than one with a 92% score. Look at out highly qualified nurses. I'd rather take advice from a nurse than an up-itself doctor.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

Aged care is an essential service.

Universal health care (not cosmetic medical) is an essential service.

As such these should not be seen as profit making industries. The whole outsourcing of essential services has undermined the SERVICE to the public and allowed profiteering at the expense of wellbeing.

I would welcome any government bold enough to turn that lot upside down.

• Like 2
  • Winner 2

1 hour ago, nomadpete said:

I would welcome any government bold enough to turn that lot upside down.

Going by the way people voted it would seem that the majority would welcome such radical action by a government. It's only the dyed in the wool, right-leaning conservatives who would label such a government as Red-Raggers. Perhaps the correct colour is

image.thumb.png.304f332f46c04bd9f6ee2328a7648826.png

• Like 2