Australian Federal Election 2022

Jerry_Atrick

I'm on the fence with Derryn Hinch - sometimes he does good stuff, but sometimes, I think his ego gets the better of him; there was a time he named a defendent in an abuse case (close to his heart, I understand), which jeapordised the whole case. I think it was the one he went to jail for contempt of court for, but can't remember.  But, I do remember listening to him on radio (3AW) after some bloke was found guilty of raping a prostitute during what was to be an interlude. He was initially, "like how can that happen? He has paid and she was willing - the law was crazy".. A prostitute called the show (it was a talkback show), and he listened to what she had to say, which was quite harrowing, and then agreed that he initially didn't undersand even what the nature of rape is, and agreed that it is possible to rape a prostiture after having paid for sex - it was more of the violelnce (after which she withdrew her consent.. etc)."

So, he doesn't always stick to his beleif system., which, too, is always a good sign.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

It's when THEY get in to help their mates who reward them  well, subsequently so they get back in to help them some more, and everyone's happy except those with no hand in the deal . It's a great business Plan. Rich can pay more for favours. God want 's you to be rich. Greed is good.  ALL men are equal but some are more equal than others..  Nev

• Like 3

11 hours ago, facthunter said:

That's been the Pattern in the past. Who'd want big Clive's hand up your back ?

I wouldn't want any part of Clive anywhere near me, a sentiment I feel confident is shared by 99.9999% of people.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, facthunter said:

That's been the Pattern in the past. Who'd want big Clive's hand up your back ?

I think you forgot to add, "-side" between back and "?" 

Being an elected rep of the UAP will come with more strings attached than the LNP.  Maybe even one in the shape of a noose.

• Like 2

Clive's Party seems to create Candidates who can't wait to leave it. Greens aren't bad at having giant internal ructions either. Same with the "older" Democrats. Independents aren't a party and NOTE only contested Liberal seats. An interesting mix. Let's hope the Greens don't make the same mistake twice. (An ALL or nothing approach.) Nev

• Agree 1

A few years back when Clive won his federal lower house seat, he was my local member for that three years. From memory, he was completely useless, keeping up the tradition of those who've held the seat before and after him. A mate of mine joined his party and volunteered handing out how to vote cards. Clive wasn't in the job long before those supporters figured out he was full of shite, and left the party in droves. I'm not sure how many times the buffoon actually went to Canberra and sat in parliament, but it was a rare occasion when he did.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

14 hours ago, willedoo said:

A few years back when Clive won his federal lower house seat, he was my local member for that three years. From memory, he was completely useless, keeping up the tradition of those who've held the seat before and after him. A mate of mine joined his party and volunteered handing out how to vote cards. Clive wasn't in the job long before those supporters figured out he was full of shite, and left the party in droves. I'm not sure how many times the buffoon actually went to Canberra and sat in parliament, but it was a rare occasion when he did.

Clive Palmer rests his eyelids during question time, sitting behind fellow crossbench MP Andrew Wilkie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Dutton now wants Labor to do what the LNP could have done with teh stroke of a pen when it was the Government.

The Opposition Leader also unveiled his first key policy proposal – urging the Albanese Government to lift the earning threshold for pensioners to help alleviate the ongoing labour shortage. Mr Dutton said the “quickest way” to address the immediate need for workers in sectors across the country was to tap into older Australians who want to work more.

“This is about those who want to work and do an extra day or two for them to be able to work and for it not to affect their pension,” he said. Pensioners are only able to earn about $300 a fortnight before their government allowance begins to taper off. Under the Coalition’s plan, the threshold would be lifted to $600, which Mr Dutton said equated to an additional day or two of work.

I don't disagree that this would be a good idea. An extra $300 per fortnight would be nice. But if the LNP thinks this is a good idea, it should have introduced it a couple of months ago and Dutton would still be a member of the Government, not Opposition.

Treasury has costed the policy at about $112 million a year. This I don't get. If a pensioner is allowed at the moment to earn $300 p/fn and still get a full pension, Dutton says let them earn $300 p/w and still get the full pension. What has the $12 million got to be pair out for? It doesn't have to go to pensioners, and it shouldn't require any more Public Servants for checking reporting forms as the only change is in one number relating to the amount earned.

• Informative 2