Australian Federal Election 2022

Jerry_Atrick

To be fair to all our politicians, there is only one "politician" to blame for the current energy-induced inflation - Putin. The rest of the world's governments have to try to deal with the effects of his illegal actions. And don't forget that China is facing an economic meltdown from within.

Like King Knute, our governments can't turn back the tide.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The big picture, as I see things, is that power prices will spike because of long term lack of planning by governments (note plural flavor).

They avoided timely infrastructure maintenance or updating of installations, (to keep pace with growth and technology) because it costs public money and spending is criticised by oppositions.

So now, between technology moving on to newer and better options, and waiting until last minute to take action, we will be spending big for a while to catch up. The ageing power stations need replacement. Our government has failed to control the domestic fuel sources (with exception of W.A. as Onetrack points out). No matter what kind of power sources are now chosen, (whether old tech or new) our electricity bills will go up, to pay for it.

In the old days such timely incremental planning was criticised as 'gold plating the system' and that privatisation was the answer to keeping prices down. That didn't work.

• Agree 2

What is the alternative? It is a dictator like Putin or Pol Pot.

I agree that we need to be careful who we vote for, but we don't want to go down the path of those undemocratic places.

AND, we need to be careful about just who we are manipulated by.

Those figures at the beginning of this thread may or may not be true. All I know is that multiple independent sources are much harder to manipulate than a single source.

But in the days since the internet, it is true that what appears to be multiple sources may be just one source pretending to be more than one.

Some source/s would have you thinking that Russia is winning the war and Putin is a wonderful guy and we should all flock to join him.

• Like 3
  • Winner 1

Renewable energy costs are bound to reduce as more and more of it is installed. Solar panel costs have fallen by 82% since 2010.

New technologies will continue to develop in the renewable energies fields, and new materials will also likely play a part. One of the beauties of renewable energy sources, is that it can be positioned close to where the power is required, resulting in massive savings, due to no need for huge numbers and size of transmission lines - or power losses caused by those transmission lines.

Just the sheer number of transformers required in a large, long-distance distribution network, is a massive cost burden - let alone the cost of the huge number of massive pylons required.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

BUT

When We have gone over to those ' renewables ' & have shut down our mines, sacked the workers ! .

Who would Pay one $ dollar for a ton of coal ? .

Which would be the cheapest fuel ! , that No-one wants .

Just a thought of a life without another natural resource. 

spacesailor

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

if we were subsidized to make charcoal from the trees

Once again, a reasonable process that is a two-edged sword.

On one side, making charcoal first leads to deforestation espcially in tropical countries where poverty creates the need for cheap fuel for an increasing population. Then the process, while not converting carbon compunds to COdoes release volatiles into the atmosphere.

Flip it over and charcoal can be used to remedy carbon deficient soils so that they are more productive. It can be used in cosmetics (NO! Not for black-facing). And the medical use of activated charcoal is mainly the absorption of poisons and to reduce flatulence. That's why I always ate the burnt offerings my missus served up at dinner time. Charcoal absorbs the cyanide and relieves indigestion. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Animal fats and Trans fats cooked at temperature high enough to  Burn them black produce Carcinogenous complex molecules. Even burned toast is not recommended for consumption. Carbon filters are another matter. It's pure amorphous Carbon used in that process. I use a carbon filter for all the water I use from the Mains.  Nev

• Like 3

SWMBO had a go at making soap, and it turned out a complete disaster, and she reckons she's never ever going to attempt it again. There's a lot of things you have to get exactly right in the manufacturing process when you're doing it - and a lot of the instructions are seriously lacking in the important fine details needed, when you've reached those stages.

It is not too hard to make soap, but it is much easier to buy it made by someone else. Much like a load of other things, such as vehicle maintenance, which we all did 50 years ago. Painting the house or even washing windows. Somebody specializes in these things and we being lazy pay them good money.

• Agree 3

BAD Mechanics !.

I had a run in with a company who claimed ' steering rods & bottom ball joints ' . Had to be erplaced AND billed the new owner for said work .

I was soundly abused for saying " I replaced all steering parts " when I sold that car !.

I promptly got under the car , went into my house for the camera,  then called the police. 

As the ' electrical tape & paint I put over the theaded-rod- ends ' was still there.

And the workshop lost it,s W,O,F, licence plus a huge fine ,for fraud. 

SO don,t trust,  what can,t be verified .

spacesailor

• Like 4

I hear many reports of people doing such things and its criminal. I have an acquaintance who services really expensive cars and one Ferrari at 80Kms had not had the original oil filter replaced although it had been listed as done. It required removing a lot of stuff to access it, so people didn't bother. This guy doesn't have a lot of time for most of these brands but now does them for some dealers. I'd be Pi$$d off if This happened to me as you do your best to have it properly serviced and THAT happens.  Nev

• Informative 1