Australian Federal Election 2022

Jerry_Atrick

Simple, OME. After debate, vote on that part of the policy. Majority wins

Exactly the same process as happens now, except that each independant is permitted to vote according to their own conscience.

In every debate, the vote eventually boils down to 'yay' or 'nay'.

55 minutes ago, nomadpete said:

Nominations, then votes counted

I suppose that a nominated person would have to tell the rest what attributes they have for overseeing the Department they wanted to be Minister of. We might get some Ministers who had an inkling of an idea of what the Department did, instead of using Ministerial postings as stepping stones to the higher echelons of political power.

• Like 1

To be honest, even if he does sneak in, his days are likely numbered. There's no reason a 1/4 competent leader should not take a reasonable majority against the government and a 1/2 competent leader take the landslide. But, Albo's performance undershoots even the most pessimistic forecasts of his performance by a long way. OK, we know the press are against him and there have been a couple of SFM "gaffes" as well, such as increasing Jobseeker.. But Albos performance is the most insipid I have seen... ever. and I include ourt school council elections in that.

The issue I have, is, he has no courage of his convictions. I am not saying he should be an all out commie, but it is as if he is trying to judge and then acquiesce to the popular vote. He just seems to say things to placate and avoid questioning.. Jobseeker, boat people, etc. It's as if he doesn't really care as long as what he says will win him the PM-ship. So, he comes across as even weaker than he was perceived to be, lacking leadership, strength, and courage, so regardless of how good the ALP policies may be, I have zero confidence his leadership could overcome the obstacles to get them implemented. If I were voting in this, it would be independent, greens, or abstain at the moment, as I share a similar view of the current LNP leadership as Yenn does of SFM  (although at least Barnaby knocked the proposed further development of Moorabbin Airport on the head).

If Albo miraculously pulls one out of the bag, it will not be a much fatter majority than SFM has today.. and that will buy him time.. but very little. Either way, his days are numbered as the vultures will circle him win, lose or draw.

[edit] According to polls (and some can be very biased), SFM is now the preferred PM.. and leading by about 6 points.. Really.. SFM.. how bad do you have to be to trail SFM? And the same polls are putting the LNP ahead of Labor on the vote... Of course, there is only one poll that matters, and the pollsters often get it wrong, but history is on the side of the incumbent when the opposition can't get a decent lead into the main poll.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 2

The election has already been won by the LNP - on preferences. All of the UAP and ON preferences will end up with the LNP.

But the idiots who vote for the UAP and ON think they're being smart, sending a message to the Libs and Labor that they don't like either offering. But they fail to see where their vote eventually ends up.

The preference system is what needs addressing and revamping in our system. When an idiot with a single issue platform gets voted in with just 98 personal votes, but wins on preferences alone, it shows the system is failing us.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/apr/07/wa-candidate-elected-to-parliament-with-less-than-100-votes-prompts-calls-for-electoral-reform

• Agree 1

I think it will be a repeat of the last election results with a Liberal/National win. If Labor don't pull their socks up soon, Morrison & Co. might even get a small majority. In the next term of government, SFM will become so unpopular that a spill motion will see Josh Frydenberg take over a few months from the 2025 election. He'll go on to beat whichever uninspiring leader Labor have at that time, probably Jim Chalmers. And then maybe win the 2028 election.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, willedoo said:

I think it will be a repeat of the last election results with a Liberal/National win. If Labor don't pull their socks up soon, Morrison & Co. might even get a small majority. In the next term of government, SFM will become so unpopular that a spill motion will see Josh Frydenberg take over a few months from the 2025 election. He'll go on to beat whichever uninspiring leader Labor have at that time, probably Jim Chalmers. And then maybe win the 2028 election.

Willedoo - you are a harbinger of doom. If you were a soothsayer, we might have chance that your prophesy never eventuated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

… Albo's performance undershoots even the most pessimistic forecasts of his performance by a long way.

Sadly, I agree. His performance in the short news grabs seen by most voters has been infuriatingly abysmal. 
Infuriating, because in Parliament he often shows fire in the belly and speaks well.

The issue I have, is, he has no courage of his convictions. I am not saying he should be an all out commie, but it is as if he is trying to judge and then acquiesce to the popular vote. He just seems to say things to placate and avoid questioning..

Contrast this to Scomo, who comes across as committed to a course of action- until later we discover his numerous broken promises and outright falsehoods.

…history is on the side of the incumbent when the opposition can't get a decent lead into the main poll.

I hope you are wrong. If Scomo is returned we can expect a more rapid decline of government standards and a faster slide into American-style corruption of our political system.

Worst of all, the Libs have made it very clear that they will mount an all-out assault on any media or organisation that challenges their hold on power. 
Expect the ABC to be castrated, SBS privatised and sold off and Murdoch’s empire given a stranglehold on our media.

• Informative 1

I doubt this LNP is united enough to continue to function. The LAST hung Parliament passed a lot of legislation and functioned quite well, if you want to check the FACTS and not believe the hype. The NP just hold the others to ransom/blackmail. They serve the coal and gas lobby, not (small) FARMERS. Nev

• Agree 2

I agree that the system of preferences is a poor system of proportional representation because basically it isn't. When I lived in NZ in the early 90s there was a referendum on what system the people thought the best. Originally it was first past the post who got in. The Australian system was one of the offerings but the issues with transferring votes to someone you didn't even like at all & then down the chain to someone you may have never even heard of got thrown away & the Mixed Member Proportional (MMP) system was chosen & has been in place ever since.

Basically you have 2 votes, 1 for the member you want to represent you in your electorate and 1 for the party you prefer. Many people choose to vote for say a National member because they like the person & how they operate but vote for the Labour party. The parliament is made up of 50% electorate representatives and 50% of MPs chosen from a list put up by the parties based on the percentage of the party vote they got.

The system has its flaws and can often end up with coalitions of convenience but it is a far more representative system system than the single transferrable vote system we have here where someone can get into the senate with hardly any primary votes at all.

• Like 2

I am going to be an optimist for a change. Labor will win because in the last two weeks of campaigning they kept bringing up the failures of the LNP present government, The poor position of Labor is due to them not wanting to use their big guns until the LNP have little time to counter them. As I said I am being optimistic and if I took my usual position I would say once again Labor grabs defeat from the jaws of victory.

There is so much ammunition out there for the Labor party, but it seems only Penny Wong can see it.

• Like 2

Yet another reason to get rid of this apallingly incompetent government, which accellerating the brain drain from what should be “The Clever Country”.

“the government has cultivated a set of policies which demonstrate its neglect and outright disdain for researchers, the most passionate and brilliant people I know.”

https://www.smh.com.au/education/australia-has-spent-a-million-dollars-training-me-and-now-i-m-leaving-20220419-p5aelz.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If you formed a political party after examining every other Party's ideas for a better Australia, no matter which side of the political centreline each stood on, then kept all the ones that would benefit the Nation t form your Party's platform, you might end up with a Party that had an unassailable hold on the reins of Government.

Here's an example from Clive Palmer's UAP (a mob I wouldn't vote for). Make Australian super funds invest a set proportion of their assets exclusively in Australian products and businesses.

Palmer says Australian super funds have about $3.5 trillion under management, but invest mostly in North America and Europe. He would make them bring “at least $1 trillion” back to Australia to be invested locally.

The money has come from the pockets of every worker in Australia and from the Profit and Loss statements of every employer in Australia. That is money earned from the application of our skills. Why should we bolster foreign economies and leave ours to languish?

Economist Nicki Hutley is one of three independent economists The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald asked to take a look at Palmer’s key economic policies. Hutley says the policy is going after the wrong issue.“If there were economically rational investments to be made, they’d be being made,” she says. “It basically is just saying everyone could have lower returns for their superannuation. And given we have a problem already with too many people who don’t have enough superannuation, that doesn’t seem to be a rational choice.”

Which is more important for Australians - economic rational or socially responsible investments? Can Hutley support her statement that investment in Australia would result in lower returns on the investments that provide the funds for superannuation payouts? Returns would probably be lower in the short term, but superannuation accounts have a life of, say, 40 years. If superannuation money continued to be invested over that period, surely the economy would go from strength to strength, dragging investment returns with it.

And Clive's idea isn't for ALL superannuation funds to be called back home. He's only suggesting one third. Still heaps left with which to play the international markets.

Would a political party that put the Australian people foremost, and showed the results, ever drop the governmental reins? All one could hope for is that the Parties motto was the warning given to Roman generals during their Triumphs - sic transit gloria mondi.

Palmers ideas are always about substantially increased profits and benefits for Clive and his companies. He's suggesting "at least $1T" in super funds be returned to Australian investments, so that Clives companies could be huge beneficiaries of those funds. Clive's record is one of total self-interest, thuggery, bullying and outright lies that make ScoMo look like an angel.

The day Clive Palmer gets increased political power will be a frightening day for Australia. He already has excessive and uncontestable power in the multiple billions of dollars he has at his fingertips. 

Typical of his lying and BS is the claim that if he'd won his lawsuit with the W.A. Govt, he'd build new hospitals in every State, to benefit every Australian.

What he failed to mention, is that he already has so much by way of surplus funds at his disposal (he earns $1M a day just from royalties), he could already afford to build new hospitals in every State - but he hasn't.

His track record is one of bullying, scheming and skullduggery, and use of his money and power to get what he wants for himself, at all times. Any suggestion of Clive Palmers relating to allocation of public or investment monies, needs to be filed in the round bin under the desk.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I said I wouldn't vote for him, for the reasons OK and OT give. However, as I said, if you trawl through everyone's ideas you'll find some that are worthwhile. If you really wanted to do the Nation some good as a politician, you'd be open to all suggestions and investigate the better ones. The original idea might not be perfect, but from little nuts, mighty acorns grow.

The idea that super funds should be told where to invest is ridiculous. The aim of a good super fund is to make money from its investments, to be able to pay super to its clients.

When the government brought in a mandatory percentage of pay having to be put into super,, it caused a massive influx of money onto the market. Unfortunately some companies seem to think that the money is there to pay the directors, but most are trying to do the tight thing. It is companies like AMP that I would not trust.

• Agree 3