UFO's

Dax

Getting off topic, but related to optical illusions. One year we were working on Haddon Downs near Haddon corner in S.A.. Coming home from work one afternoon we saw an odd beam of light. It was partially cloudy with some storms about and a hole appeared in the low cloud with a big orange light beam shining down through it to the ground. It was a large vertical beam. The sun was about to set, so it was obviously the sunlight bouncing of some cloud in a mirror effect and being projected through the hole. It was quite spectacular to see.

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, willedoo said:

One of the craziest UFO theories was that old one of Nazis who escaped the war living in underground bunkers under Antarctica and building and operating the flying saucers.

That is not as far fetched as some would think. It has been reported that the Nazis did in fact build a working flying saucer. Here is a very short video of a test flight of this highly secret machine.

Nazi flying saucer test flight

I am going to take a similar tack to Willie on the UFO topic.

Imagine you and the wife are driving along a two lane road with forest on either side at 10:30 pm., no other traffic around. As you round a bend, you see a large dark shape, approximately 7 ft tall,  75 metres ahead, run from one side of the road to the other in four steps, and disappear into the trees beside the road. You turn to each other and say "Did you see that?" You both agree that you did.

Do you tell someone about it, or keep quiet for fear of being ridiculed? It is bi-pedal, too tall to be any other animal, and takes giant steps to cross the road in four paces. It appears to be covered head to foot in a monocolour fur. Who would dress up in a furry suit and wait for no-one knows how long for someone to drive past, at 10:30 pm, just to hoax them?

Or you are on the street at dusk, and see a creature that stands as tall as the bottom of a Stop sign. It looks at you and walks out of sight. You manage to get your iPhone out and take a picture. Then what?

There are many sightings which go unreported. 

Then a research group comes to town, calls a meeting of people who think they may have seen a Bigfoot. Thirty people or more turn up to the meeting. When asked, more than half put up their hand to say they had an encounter. You now feel that you can speak without being ridiculed, so you put your hand up. You tell the research group your story, and they go with you to the location, and re-enact the sighting. They ask a number of questions, and tell whether your story is made up, a hoax, or possibly genuine. They will readily tell you if your story holds up, or it is your imagination playing tricks on you.

• Like 1

I can answer that by saying that I saw a Tasmanian Tiger cross the road in front of me in country Victoria when I was in my early 20’s. That was in an area where there had been the odd report over the years. It had the stripes and tapered hindquarters, stiff tail etc so I remain convinced that I saw one. Still in all those years no one has ever proved that they are still around. Same with Bigfoot.

• Informative 1

16 hours ago, rgmwa said:

I was driving home from work one evening a few years ago about 6:30pm heading east along the Great Eastern Highway Bypass towards the Roe Highway intersection (for those who know Perth), when I saw three large glowing spheres maybe 3m diameter in loose formation approaching me from the hills on the other side of Roe highway. There were flying in a westerly direction keeping 30-50m above the ground. It was approaching dusk at that time of the year so I couldn't see much detail to figure out what they were. They passed me on the south side of the Bypass and presumably kept going west.  I thought they might be weather balloons but why three together and keeping quite close formation?  They are the only unidentifiable UFO's I've ever seen, but I didn't even pull up to try and get a closer look.  Just thought "That's weird. I wonder what those things are?" and kept going.  

Just for the record, I don't think they were mysterious alien spacecraft piloted by little green men. They looked more like a cluster of weather balloons being blown along in an easterly breeze, but it was still a puzzling sight. 

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

19 hours ago, red750 said:

And here is a photograph.

71230120_naziflsaucer02.thumb.jpg.df1275acbb73c33ca93231a7a44c56f3.jpg

Without doubt digital 3d.   Zooming in on the what I assume to be an aerial definitely doesn't look right. (try downloading and zooming in)

aerial.jpg.1e56c0053db289b38c19d34874229446.jpg

This scene appears to be shot against the setting sun. We would surely  expect the shadows to come towards the  camera but they don't. The shadow under the craft would seem to indicate that the lighting was coming from overhead. Picture  below is in high contrast black and white to accentuate shadows. I am sure there are many  other pointers.  

931257096_naziflsaucer02.jpg.2646a7aff45930ce94acf12a08e4dd67.thumb.jpg.2178924a6184b2662ff2f616bf0fba79.jpg 

If the NAZIs possessed useful flying disks then surely there would be more eye witness accounts.   If the NAZIs (and I am skeptical) had developed flying saucers then surely this would make it more likely that any present day sightings are just human technology????

Here is an interesting video (for curious people) that covers the NAZI flying saucer thing.

• Informative 1

I have seen that elusive ' dancing light ' in my English town of childhood. 

It came shooting across the open field , then stopped . Moved this  way then thAt way , for , seamingly a long time .

But it turned out to be .

BALL LIGHTNING .    (  such a long time ago, I almost forgot it ).

Similar to the ' Mindi lights ' .

spacesailor

• Like 3

When I was just a baby still in a bassinet (1949), we lived in a house on 10 acres (4 Ha) at the top of a big ridge, with a long street up the hill, from the main road.

The area was still semi-rural, even though it was only 7 miles (11kms) out of the Perth CBD, and there were only scattered houses along the street. However, the area was serviced with power, and a 240V powerline ran up the street.

The street is still there today, it's named Amelia Street, but the suburb name has changed from just "the Seven Mile", to "Nollamara". The top of the ridge today is marked by a park called "Tony Marcon Park". I have no idea who Tony Marcon is or was, probably a City of Stirling councillor.

It was either late Summer or early Autumn and a hot, thunderstormy, humid evening, about 6:00PM. My father had just got off the bus from work on the main road, and was walking up the hill towards our house.

My mother and I were in the house, but I understand we were on the front porch, with my mother expecting, and waiting for my father.

Suddenly, a ball of lightning appeared in the middle of the street, around a 100 yards or so in front of Dad, who was walking on the road, as there were no footpaths back then.

This ball of lightning was described by him as about 9 inches (23cm) in diameter, perfectly round, but with a fuzzy circumference - and it was buzzing and crackling quite loudly, and dripping what appeared to be droplets of fire, which "evaporated" before they hit the ground.

It was moving at a little over walking pace, at powerline height, and it moved steadily up the street at this height. As the lightning ball passed each house, all the fuses blew in each house, obviously due to an excess of current flow.

Dad watched as it moved away from him and the street, over the top of the power lines, and it curved towards a stand of huge Tuart trees that lined the ridge. Some of these trees were probably 200 to 300 yrs old or more, and they were massive - 2.5M to 3M in diameter at the base, and some were 35 to 40 metres high. The lightning ball had travelled close on a kilometre by this stage.

The ball lightning curved right towards one of these massive Tuarts - and it collided with it, creating a massive explosion, and the lightning ball vanished. The tree virtually disappeared, and it turned into a splintered stump about 3M high, while the rest of the tree was just firewood-sized pieces, scattered over an area of about 50 to 60 metres.

Quite a number of people in our street saw this whole event, but surprisingly, it never made any of the local newspapers. But everyone in the street never had any need to source or chop firewood for about 18 mths!

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Interesting story. I remember my dad telling me he saw ball lightning roll along the roof of their house in Holland when he was a teenager. It rolled along a gutter until it got to a down pipe at the bottom of which was a large wooden barrel to collect rainwater. There was an almighty bang and the barrel exploded.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

The archetypal image of aliens.

aliens.thumb.jpg.99bfa13fb9276307d3024358397412eb.jpg

Considered by many as a figment of our modern imagination, created with CGI.

Funny that similar images have been potrayed through the ages by natives of just about every continent, from long before there was CGI, and possibly even notions of interplanetary travel. Go explain.

• Informative 1

The human ideas on aliens are all as seen through our eyes. We think they are organic because we are . We think they must have similarities to us because us is all our tiny minds know. It's a view that might be based on ignorance or arrogance or both. There's a possibility that there's billions of civilisations out there who would consider us a very primitive unintelligent life form, similar to how we see bacteria.

Maybe they are not an organic life form with arms and legs and made of meat. They could be just intelligent gas or vapour, or some smart magnetic force. If we really are some of the dumbest beings in the universe, it's not surprising that we think aliens coming here are just like us only a little bit smarter. Our small minds can comprehend that. Or maybe there's another alternative. Of the billions of billions of planets in the universe, maybe we are the only ones. We might be the only planet with all the right conditions to support life.

• Like 3
  • Winner 1

WE are certainly the most complex of animals but insects are harder to kill. octopuses have better eyes. Dogs can smell things better  Sharks don't get cancer and so on. We have evolved from things that go back to the beginning of ALL life. One break in it and WE would not be here as we are.  Nev

If you start knowing the periodic table is the same everywhere ( or there is an amazing coincidence of spectrum evidence ) then you come quickly down to carbon life-forms. It is the only element that can make up complex molecules easily.

Those Aliens look very unlikely to me....  their heads look too big for their pelvises, so how could they be born? I got to agree with Nev on this, they are all we can imagine.

Personally, I reckon we are alone. The moon being necessary for agrigulture is a  big thing, as is the stability of our climate.

Agriculture could never have started on Mars, for example...  the precession of the poles is too much and the summer/winter balance is too far off and it varies too much.

AND, where are the tourists from the future? Their non-existence indicates to me that they will never happen.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1