UFO's

Dax

25 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Yes I've had 2 Labs thrust upon me (for my good I'm told). What a life changing (ruining) and house wrecking experience that is.   No other thing is so happy to see you if you've been away for even a small time.. Nev

Nev, you are now leader of their pack. You're top dog. That's a big responsibility.

i don't believe we are the only developed life in the universe but due to the immense distances we will probably never meet.   This picture illustrates the distance our radio waves have travelled.

kxkU7k8nrCvcR8l6pF2TLrEQhhjnVSLSrzc8bfjjz0Q.thumb.jpg.9da8a94beff7cad57cbbe3d8a8f92aa7.jpg

Other civilizations have the same limitations.  I suspect that given the enormous numbers of stars with planets, the conditions we experience on Earth surely cant be a one off.  Life may well be exceedingly rare but if there is 1 Earth like planet per galaxy and given that estimates are that there are between 100 and 200 billion galaxies I think the odds of life existing else where are quite good.

As well as distance there is the problem of time.  SETI has looked for radio signals from intelligent life for some years now. Although no signals have been detected from the right kinds of stars we can not know whether it is because our timing is of.  We maybe looking at stars with planets where life has not yet reached a stage where they have become detectable through radio transmissions (Earth has only been transmitting radio waves for a little over a hundred 100 years) or that on these likely planets life has been and gone. 

I feel confident advanced life exists elsewhere but it is also unlikely that we will ever cross paths.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

We have yet to have any idea what It is all about. The more you get to know the more appears that you don't know. Collectively we are pretty clever in some ways when we cooperate. A small group of dedicated people press on lo.oking for answers . The average BOGAN couldn't care less. Burn outs and pokeys and piss and the fastest ute in the west and a missus all your mates lust over.  Nev

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

We are all mainly empty space and the particles that comprise us are all star stuff.

We’re told that an atom is pretty much a scaled-down Solar System: tiny subatomic particles orbiting at impossible speeds, with enormous empty gaps between. Plenty of room for cosmic rays and anything else to pass straight through. Who knows what could fit in all that empty space!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Many people, including many of my esteemed colleages on this forum, ridicule claims of UFO's and aliens. I wonder then, why there are carvings from the Aztecs to the Egyptians, and even aboriginal rock paintings, dating thousands of years, depicting images of creatures ( and craft) so similar to what we now regard as an "alien". While some may be considered persons in costume, others defy that explanation. Surely these must add some credence to the claims of alien visitation over the centuries.

alien-picture1.thumb.jpg.94cb20b2e5461c44e88a279d05ec1f05.jpgaliens3.thumb.jpg.d484ed5229a742356443129ba794ecaf.jpgaliens2.thumb.jpg.58f1068abc8ff8fbebdc12cfa23bb3e7.jpgaliens1.thumb.jpg.c3b6d7c93145a9eb26cc15c7ead029d7.jpgmayanaliens.thumb.jpg.b5baeeabdac8962adbed0ac89eddbc5c.jpgegyptianalien1.thumb.jpg.5019ce9395cd6cb3653e57297ca30b24.jpg

17 minutes ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

UFO people are impossible....  humans already have their heads almost too big for the birth canal.

Bruce, you have to think outside the square. Kangaroos are about the size of a peanut when they are born. Alien babies could be much smaller than human babies. 

• Like 2

I think the whole " big brain" thing will be counted as an evolutionary failure.  Take dogs, for example. They are as smart as they need to be, and a big brain wouldn't help them at all. ( except for this dog belonging to a mate of mine who said how his dog could do calculus problems while fetching a ball....  I didn't believe him.)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

But, Red, artistic license has been around a long time. Picasso just had more than most.

AND, why travel across the galaxy and not ask to see our leaders?

Intelligent life would certainly know enough to avoid our leaders.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 2