Who knew?

red750

3 minutes ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

I still can't understand how " hot water can turn into ice faster than cold water"... A bit of verbal trickery here methinks. If you remove the same heat per kg per second from a bit of water, of course the initially hot water will take longer.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2018/01/frozen-bubbles-boiling-water-freezing-explained-bomb-cyclone-bombogenesis-winter-weather-viral-videos-spd/#:~:text=Because%20they're%20so%20hot,warmer%20air%2C%20the%20water%20condenses.&text=The%20hot%20water%20in%20the,instantly%20condenses%20into%20ice%20crystals.

Defined as "that metal or plastic thing on the ends of your shoelaces", aglet actually maintained the same meaning since its debut in the mid-1400s, but spelling varied a little; it occasionally took the form of aiglet. Either spelling comes from the Middle French word aiguillette, which is a diminutive of aiguille or aguille, a term for "needle" (because aglets act as needles for threading through the shoelace-holes).

• Informative 1

The Auster J/5 Aiglet Trainer was a 1950's British single-engined four-seat high-wing training and touring monoplane built by Auster Aircraft Limited at Rearsby, Leicestershire.

It was fitted with a  de Havilland Gipsy Major 1  4-cylinder inline engine, 130 hp (97 kW).  The aircraft type had nothing to do with the Auster J/1B Aiglet, it being an aerobatic development of the Auster J/5 Autocar.

Auster.aiglet.g-amzt.arp.jpg

3 hours ago, old man emu said:

How's this for a fully flying tail section?

Another miraculous incident is the American plane where the pilot ejected and the aircraft landed itself in a field with very little damage. From memory, I think it was a Delta Dart or a Delta Dagger.

A popular snake amongst those who like unique animals around the house is the Children's python, Antaresia childreni . It occurs specifically in the region spanning the coast between the Kimberleys in Western Australia to Mount Isa in northwestern Queensland. Growing to a maximum of 1.5 metres, and generally non-aggressive nature it makes for a good pet for kids.  You would think that its name reflected its suitability as a kid's pet and Children's python would be an advertising delight to a pet shop owner, but that is not how it got its name.

The snake was given the scientific name Liasis childreni when it was first described by zoologist, John Edward Gray. Gray was keeper of zoology at the British Museum in London from 1840 until Christmas 1874. He gave it the species name, childreni, in honour of the keeper of the Department of Zoology t the British Museum, John George Children, Gray's boss.

220px-Children%27s_Python.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I always thought that the childrens python was more likely to bite than a carpet snake. The on;y time I have seen a python bite a perso, it was a childrens python, but it was very annoyed at being disturbed, The carpet snake is far less likely to bite than the neighbours dog.

The most vicious snake I have ever encountered in the bush, was a big hungry carpet python. It reared up in a classic "strike" pose, and definitely wanted to take a piece out of me.

I detest snakes at the best of times and everyone tells me carpet snakes are harmless, but my experience is they are just as vicious as any other snake when disturbed.

When they lived near Adelaide River, my friends were woken late one night by strange noises coming from their toddler’s room. Mum turned on the light and couldn't see the little boy; he was covered by a huge python.

She eventually dismantled it with a large carving knife.

The young bloke still carries the bite marks on his arm.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Don't worry, if you're stupid enough to run off the road in your vehicle, you will get a serious-sized bill for replacing anything you damage in your off-road excursion. I can recall, about 15 yrs ago, just replacing a broken power pole you damaged cost $3500, back then.

Then there's the bill for damaged road signs, damaged fences, damaged traffic-light infrastructure, and even road re-surfacing repairs. But it doesn't end there - you get a bill from every type of emergency services called to the scene, too!

Comprehensively-insured drivers never see these bills, the insurance company settles them on your behalf. But if you don't carry any insurance, you'll soon see them! Of course, the idiots who have no insurance are usually criminals (car thieves), unregistered drivers, drunks (drink-driving invalidates your insurance coverage) or just plain fools.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's a bit of a coincidence. I was watching a program of the Foxtel Lifestyle channel called Australian Inventions That Changed The World. It's a series, and has covered such inventions as wi-fi, the black box recorder, Hills Hoist, amongst others. It is hosted by Matt Parkinson, Goliath on The Chase Australia.Last night's program featured the cardiac pacemaker. While the implantable pacemaker was developed overseas, the first electonic stimulation of the heart was performed by Dr Mark Lidwill at Sydney's Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, using a sterile needle through the chest.He proved his idea by reviving a stillborn baby, who grew to normal adulthood. The coincidence is that today I got the results of the test of my pacemaker, which I had last Thursday. All OK and about 11 months of life remaining in the battery. The device will be replaced in 6 to 8 months. I will have a further test in 6 months. 

I read a report on Yahoo News that ATM's are being withdrawn from shopping centres because, with the growing use of cards and smartphone apps for payment, the demand for cash is greatly reduced. The article also went on to say that use of cheques has dropped somethng like 80%, and they will shortly be a thing of the past. Credit and debit cards, tap and go payment, EFT and Bpay are driving a complete change in the way we manage our finances.

A lot of businesses were particular about which credit cards they accept due to the fees that the card companies charge. You often see that American Express is not accepted. It reminds me of something I heard years ago, before credit cards. Seem the ladies at a local brothel were very particular. They would only accept Wet-Cheks.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

We like to think of the British people in terms of image.jpeg.bfcee73c3ad0cebc2463e5ea921ce719.jpegand that all got mucked up when the Yanks arrived - Over-sexed and over here!

But the British, especially the Londoners, were well into it long before the first Yankee boot hit the docks at Liverpool.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3165954/How-Blitz-sent-Britain-sex-mad-New-book-reveals-Hitler-s-bid-bomb-surrender-startling-effect.html

The Blitz intensified sexual desire. A full two decades before the so-called permissive society of the Sixties, a dramatic, if understated, sexual revolution was already taking place — one which would, significantly, prove to be a forerunner of the mores by which Britons live today

• Like 1