COVID-19 Virus.

Phil Perry

Today's positive cases in Victoria was 459. That seems a hell of a lot, until you realise that over 46,000 tests were done yesterday. That means only 1% of those tested proved positive. There are those covidiots who believe it is all a scam, or as they call it, scamvid-19, like the brain-dead moron, Karen from Bunnings,who complained when blocked from entering Bunnings for not wearing a mask that it breached her human rights. Amnesty International has declared that it is not a breach of human rights. I think it was the state opposition leader who said, you have no human rights when you are dead.

On another matter, I received a text message from the co-ordinator of our Men's Shed to advise that one of the members had passed away, not from Covid-19, but from food poisoning. It is understood he ate bad chicken. Arthur was in his late 80's and I believe he lived alone since his wife died.

My son and I were tested yesterday, It wasnt as bad as I thought it would be, Lachlan was given a priority 3 test and I was given a priority 1 test which was a double dose of swabs as they had all my health records being at the Austin. A double dose of 2 swabs down the throat and 1 down each of the nostrils. They went down so far I thought it was an endoscopy however apart from coughing over the nurse which I profusely apologised for it wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be. A couple of Lachlan's school friends were also there which was nice for him. Now the wait...............

All there is to do while we are waiting is to watch movie...watching one today that I think sums up what is happening here in Melb

3 hours ago, Admin said:

My son and I were tested yesterday, It wasnt as bad as I thought it would be, Lachlan was given a priority 3 test and I was given a priority 1 test which was a double dose of swabs as they had all my health records being at the Austin. A double dose of 2 swabs down the throat and 1 down each of the nostrils. They went down so far I thought it was an endoscopy however apart from coughing over the nurse which I profusely apologised for it wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be. A couple of Lachlan's school friends were also there which was nice for him. Now the wait...............

All there is to do while we are waiting is to watch movie...watching one today that I think sums up what is happening here in Melb

Good luck Ian, hope it's negative all round.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

My daughter is a School Crossing Supervisor on the Canterbury Road - Mitcham Road intersection in Vermont. There were no children using the crossing this morning. She doesn't pass the school on her way to the crossing, but goes around the block past it on her way home. It is the Vermont Primary School. There was a red sign on the school gate this morning stating that parents and students were not perrmitted to enter. Someone, student or staff member, has proved positive. My daughter doesn't know when she will be able to return to work. She will get odd shifts relieving on other crossings in the Whitehorse district, but nothing regular.We are unsure if the council will continue to pay her,  she doesn't usually get paid if there is no school.

Does anyone know who has the power over Covid-19 restrictions, is it the State Premier or the Chief Health Officer?

For example if the Chief Health Officer says he wants a Level 4 quarantine can the Premier over rule him?

The hierarchy of responsibility under the Victorian Public Health and Wellbeing Act is:

The Minister is responsible to Parliament. The Hon. Jenny Mikakos

The Secretary is responsible to the Minister.

The Chief Health Officer is responsible to the Secretary.

So, the Minister can in fact over-ride the Chief Health Officer, but the Minister can possibly over-ride at the Minister's risk. Similarly, the Premier could over-ride a Minister, but that's putting your head in a noose and hoping for a frayed rope.

• Informative 1

Turbo will be along soon, I guess, but is this the case when a state of emergency is declared - and is one being declared. Noticed Melb is going to stage 3 lockdown.. I wonder what stage 4 is?

On 27/07/2020 at 2:36 PM, pmccarthy said:

I keep getting advertisements for masks that have two plastic valves in them. Surely valves defeat the whole purpose of a mask?

I think it is for blondes.. one is the inlet valve and the other is the outloet valve. Come with an ipad app that determines the level of intensity they are undergoing and plays throuh the earphones "breathe in, breathe out" - higher measured intesity, higher the frenquency of the messages 😉

(OK, I am a blondeist and this is blondeism).

• Haha 1

Woolworths in NSW has announced that it will require everyone to be wearing a mask when in their supermarkets and other affiliated stores. As no requirement for this has been made pursuant to the Public Health Act, I'm going to take it as being made pursuant to the WH&S Act. 

Since I am a regular at my local Woolies,  I'm going to dress up a plain face mask, just for a bit of humour.

image.png.15d89b317319eaeb0ed1f63b6c0b4a82.png

• Like 1

Apparently a woman, perhaps in the US, came up with a mask that has your lower face printed on it so that your facial recognition phone will unlock.

Masks have been mandatory in Vic for about a week, so I bought a pack of 50 from the chemist. I  don't particularly like wearing them, they are hot, make your nose run, and your glasses fog up. But it;s better than a $200 fine.

Test results are still coming in from before masks were made mandatory, but people will say that the case numbers spiked when people started wearing masks.

Those two Nicki Menage plastic lookalikes deserve everything they cop - fines, gaol and online bullying. The word is they came to Melbourne for Louis Vitton handbags - just when the Louis Vitton store was ram raided. Coincidence?

The Queensland Police have a separate investigation into them to see if they are part of a crime syndicate targeting luxury goods. There were three of them arrested all up. One refused to cooperate with police and wouldn't divulge her contacts which caused a contact tracing delay. I think she's since cooperated. There's already a link via a restaurant one of them visited to some community transmission including a nursing home case. Between their fraud charges and reckless endangerment, they could be facing a couple of years jail. It's good to see that the police are treating false border declarations as fraud. It hopefully might deter a few idiots.

Edited by willedoo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, red750 said:

Masks have been mandatory in Vic for about a week, so I bought a pack of 50 from the chemist. I  don't particularly like wearing them, they are hot, make your nose run, and your glasses fog up. But it;s better than a $200 fine.

They have been mandatory in encolsed areas (except pubs) for a ouple of weeks over here. Haven't had the nose run yet, but foggin up the glasses is a right pain in the posterior. I am not sure what the fine is here if breached, but apart from avoiding the fine, avoiding the bug is also a handy incentive.. I purchased reuseable ones though because we can't get surgical or dental ones anyway, and at the end, we are only in enclosed spaces for max an hour (when I do the weekly shop and only then because I am a novice at where all the items are).

4 hours ago, red750 said:

Test results are still coming in from before masks were made mandatory, but people will say that the case numbers spiked when people started wearing masks.

Wasn't yesterday or the day before the highest number of cases recorded in Vic? If the masks were only required a week ago, then it may be too early to draw a causal link... WWill be interesting to see how the R curve is in a week or two...

BTW, it doesn't care about one's age. Presumably the doctors/radiographer in the article (may be behind a paywall) had something they possibly didn't know about: https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/young-northern-health-doctor-in-icu-after-contracting-coronavirus-20200731-p55hbe.html