COVID-19 Virus.

Phil Perry

1 hour ago, red750 said:

The word is UNPRECEDENTED.

Precedent: an action, situation, or decision that has already happened and can be used as a reason why a similar action or decision should be performed or made. 

Example of its use: Precedent indicated that a change would take place sooner rather than later.

Unprecedented: never done or known before.

There have been many precedents for epidemics in recent memory - AIDS, SARS, Bird Flu, Swine Flu, Mad Cow, Ebola, and historically - Spanish Flu, Bubonic Plague in Sydney and of course the Black Death. 

If journalists were not so uneducated, they would use a better word such as extraordinary, or exceptional

Oh, I forgot. OME's our Grammar Policeperson.

Thanks for enlightening us.

This whole Covid problem had me quite worried, at least I was until I found out that it's not actually 'unprecedented'.

What a relief!

Edited by nomadpete
  • Haha 1

I know all that O.M.E. The one that gets on my nerves is the Aldi advert, I guess you guys have seen it a couple of hundred times, where the helicopter drops in and hovers above the woman taking her shopping home. The "reporter" in the helicopterr asks her if she paid "unprecedented" prices in these "unprecedentd" times.

Red such adds are designed to get on yr nerves, the very fact that such an inoquios few seconds of vid is now engrained in yr mind with ALDI being the core subject means they have reached their target, very clever marketing actually😉

I have just found a few stories of "how I caught the virus" and they all did something stupid like attend a party where nobody was taking any precautions.

So here's my question...  Is the virus doing us a favor by culling out the more stupid among us? If not, why is it so hard for me to find stories about just how people got the virus? You would think that the lessons contained in those stories would enable the rest of us to avoid the same mistakes.

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

why is it so hard for me to find stories about just how people got the virus?

Next week's New Idea has a story "A-Listers' after-party shock is unprecedented"

Goes right into how Hollywood A-Listers caught COVID at a crowded awards ceremony"

44 minutes ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

I have just found a few stories of "how I caught the virus" and they all did something stupid like attend a party where nobody was taking any precautions.

So here's my question...  Is the virus doing us a favor by culling out the more stupid among us? If not, why is it so hard for me to find stories about just how people got the virus? You would think that the lessons contained in those stories would enable the rest of us to avoid the same mistakes.

Whilst there is no doubt that some people have caught it by not taking it seriously, it is still a fact that the numbers of infection are high amongst health workers, aged care workers and aged care residents. 

It is alway tempting to believe that this could not happen to us because we are smart people and it is only the dumb people who be affected. It is a kind of denial.

• Like 2

It is pretty common for communicable diseases to explode in aged care places. It is not uncommon for gastro-enteritis outbreaks to occur in the best run of these. The residents are not in the best of physical condition, and the failings of old age make hygiene maintenance a chore.

• Agree 1

Plenty of healthy people are catching the virus ( how is not the issue) from health workers thru to party animals but are they on dictator Dans's daily death list? NO! They recover oddly enough! Fear & hysteria is the real virus! It's all so unprecedented !😂

Edited by Subria

It appears to be easy to catch - if you come in contact with it. If you can avoid that, you shouldn't catch it. It's not surprising therefore, that health workers and aged care workers who are constantly in contact with people who have, are likely to catch it themselves. The problem has been that these workers are employed at more than one establishment, and therefore carry the germ with them and pass it on. As outlined in a previous post, you never fully recover from this virus. The symptoms may disappear, but that is after it has caused permanent physiological changes to your organs which will affect you for the rest of your life. The best protection is to avoid getting it in the first place.

• Agree 3

This SMH article discusses the dilemma facing couples who have obtained a marriage visa to come here to marry an Australian citizen. The visa costs around $8,000 and it looks like most will expire before the prospective bride or bridegroom can enter Australia due to border and travel restrictions. As the visa is already issued and paid for, I'd assume the fee is non refundable. Interesting to see that there is a backlog of 90,000 applications for marriage visas.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/8000-marriage-visas-granted-only-for-holders-to-be-blocked-from-entering-australia-20200819-p55n19.html

• Sad 1

You guys are making my point,by not giving me  an actual example of " how  I caught coronavirus". I understand how health people dealing with cases are at risk as there would only need to be a moment's lapse in precautions to become a victim.

I reckon its a bit like plane crashes. There has to be a reason and it should be shared among us all.

The second wave of infections in vic appears to be due to "relaxing" regulations. If so, it means that people have done something stupid and I want to hear their stories to help me avoid doing the same thing.

35 minutes ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

You guys are making my point,by not giving me  an actual example of " how  I caught coronavirus". I understand how health people dealing with cases are at risk as there would only need to be a moment's lapse in precautions to become a victim.

I reckon its a bit like plane crashes. There has to be a reason and it should be shared among us all.

The second wave of infections in vic appears to be due to "relaxing" regulations. If so, it means that people have done something stupid and I want to hear their stories to help me avoid doing the same thing.

I gave the example of the man who traveled to the hot in NSW.   He spent a few hours in a pub and passed it on to other patrons https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/crossroads-hotel-covid-19-cluster-linked-to-melbourne-outbreak-20200714-p55c12.html

These patrons who became infected did not know this man and had no reason to suspect that they were at risk. 

Dan the megalomaniac is out of control now! Social media shows a growing amount of people seeing right they this guys lies & destruction, people will fight back given enough draconian laws! 

Edited by Subria

Dan wants to extend the time he can control the situation. Given that he has done such a good job so far I cannot see why anyone would deny him that achievement.

I wonder what a snap poll would show his acceptance rating to be. Here in Qld our premier seems to have done well, likewise in WA and SA. Even NSW  shines as an example to Vic.

One of the victims of this draconian lockdown is my son. He lives alone in a unit on which he has a mortgage but because he manages a hotel which is forced to remain closed, he has no income to service the mortgage. He was doing some maintenance work at the hotel and fell off a ladder, necessitating a trip to hospital. He lives five times the restriction area we must observe, so we are unable to visit him, and now that he is out of hospital, he is unable to visit us for some sort of support. It is also having a serious effect on my wife who is gravely concerned for his emotional wellbeing. The thought that these conditions could be turned on and off at the Premier's will for more than 12 months is causing her great heartache. And the stories coming out of the enquiry into the hotel quarantine debacle are nothing short of scandalous.

• Informative 1

Red the grub is like Teflon, nothing sticks to him despite his incredible draconian destroying actions! There would be many 1000's out there suffering

! I feel for people like you, we can only hope one day he falls and falls big time!

something to ponder over!

image.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Subria said:

Red the grub is like Teflon, nothing sticks to him despite his incredible draconian destroying actions! There would be many 1000's out there suffering

! I feel for people like you, we can only hope one day he falls and falls big time!

something to ponder over!

image.jpeg

Are you suggesting that these figures would not be greater if no measures were taken? In other words 99.995% are not dying because of the measures taken.  We know what taking no measures looks like.  Brazil etc.   

Edited by octave
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm suggesting dictator Dan has his sheeple well and truly bluffed! I'm still waiting for all the bodies to be piling up in our streets! By that grubs accounts the bodies ought to consist of healthy people who didn't even know they had the virus till they got tested!

Edited by Subria