COVID-19 Virus.

Phil Perry

Did we have that style of helicopter in the fifties?

There have been predictions before and we should have seen it coming. The other thing I learnt in the fifties was that we should not use antibiotics indiscriminately because the bugs would become immune to them. I learnt that at Ag college in 1952.

The strong belief in quarantine in the old days of sea travel, was abandoned when we took to air travel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Admin said:

The loss of those weeks was caused by the State Premiers. General health in each State is managed by the State Gov and currently Labour holds the power in the majority of Australian States and Territories. This creates enormous conflict with the Fed Gov who is LNP. What has been clearly evident in this pandemic is how much power the States think they have and exert against the Fed Gov when there is an apposing majority in the States. The Australian people have traditionally voted the opposites between Fed and State in the mind set of balance but in fact it causes conflict to the point that retards Australia's progression.

At the beginning of the pandemic the States banged their fists on their chests like neanderthals in fear of losing their perceived power and control against the Fed LNP, and they had the numbers. The Fed LNP tried to maintain harmony and let them have it however due to the continued stuff ups, especially by Daniel Andrews in Vic, we are only now beginning to see the Fed Gov exert their hidden massive constitutional power that they do hold and stuff the attempt to maintain harmonious working relationships with the States for the betterment of Australia and every Australian.

So the majority of your States stuffed up the beginning of the pandemic's impacts on Australia and have continued to do so throughout the course of the pandemic,  perhaps and hopefully that will now end.

What Old Koreelah is referring to is Morrison being tardy in closing Australia's national border to people coming in from overseas. The States don't have the power or ability to do that. It's a Federal responsibility.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Yenn said:

Did we have that style of helicopter in the fifties?

There have been predictions before and we should have seen it coming. The other thing I learnt in the fifties was that we should not use antibiotics indiscriminately because the bugs would become immune to them. I learnt that at Ag college in 1952.

The strong belief in quarantine in the old days of sea travel, was abandoned when we took to air travel.

The helicopter looks period correct. The tail section looks a lot like the Sud-Est S.E.3110 from the late 40's/early 50's. My best guess on the video clip is that it's a current day production using old footage.

• Agree 1

Why is it that a gizmo bought from a mob in China gets to you in a couple of days, but anything arriving from other countries takes a week to get passed by the Australian Quarantine Inspection Service (AQIS) once it arrives at out international freight terminals? 

Why wasn't AQIS doing its job when the Ruby Rose came in, or at out International airports?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, old man emu said:

Why is it that a gizmo bought from a mob in China gets to you in a couple of days, but anything arriving from other countries takes a week to get passed by the Australian Quarantine Inspection Service (AQIS) once it arrives at out international freight terminals? 

Why wasn't AQIS doing its job when the Ruby Rose came in, or at out International airports?

Hey it's Australia, we are not known for doing anything properly, Aussie motto has always been....ruff & ready!

Why wasn't AQIS doing its job when the Ruby Rose came in, or at our International airports?

Now, there's a good question. But the answer is in that somewhere along the line, AQIS has been relieved of its responsibility to control quarantine at all entry points into Australia.

For some yet-to-be-explained reason, the NSW Govt is saying it was the NSW Agriculture Depts and NSW Health Depts responsibility, to carry out biosecurity checks on the Ruby Princess passengers before disembarkation.

This is purely and plainly wrong - a typical bureaucratic stuff-up, splitting the National quarantine responsibilities in this manner. Departmental heads and pollies heads should be on sharp poles for this.

There should be ONE body SOLELY responsible for NATIONAL quarantine control - and that body should be AQIS.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-15/ruby-princess-inquiry-how-did-it-happen-coronavirus/12560722

Edited by onetrack
  • Agree 2

No that body is the Australian federal Government. The can give the job to whoever they like, but ultimately they are responsible. If the government gives the job to someone who stuffs it up, then the government is just as responsible, because they stuffed up in allocating the job.

For too long we have seen politicians ducking their reponsibilities and there seems to be nobody who notices.

When something serious goes wrong we have a royal commission, or in other words. A more expensive whitewash.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Yenn said:

No that body is the Australian federal Government. The can give the job to whoever they like, but ultimately they are responsible. If the government gives the job to someone who stuffs it up, then the government is just as responsible, because they stuffed up in allocating the job.

For too long we have seen politicians ducking their reponsibilities and there seems to be nobody who notices.

When something serious goes wrong we have a royal commission, or in other words. A more expensive whitewash.

Well said, Yenn. The buck most certainly stops with the PM. Despite his admirable performance since April, it was he who originally allowed the virus into the country.

He was also a major force behind the RoboDebt fiasco that has been quietly forgotten; if a Labor government had been so incompetent the media would still be calling for their blood.

Both those disasters are good cause for a full investigation, but I doubt we'll see one.

Australia is too infested with corruption that 'truth' is so far from our reach that we essentially go from one clusterf**k to another! Trouble is this current nationwide stuff up fed & state has cost so many lives that we will see these fools lies for many generations to come!

My wife was taken to hospital last night by ambulance. BUT ONLY AFTER I HAD TO COP A THIRD DEGREE INTERROGATION ABOUT COVID CONTACTS - ALL THE TIME I WAS ON THE PHONE SHE'S SUFFERING TREMORS AND FIGHTING BACK VOMITING. Never one question about her contact with other communicable diseases like Ebola, Tuberculosis or Bubonic Plague. Then the operator put me onto a "community nurse" and I went through the same rigmarole, until my wife told the nurse not to worry and hung up.

Then I called the ambulance again and this time got one on the way. When the crew arrived we went through the same shite, until they were convinced that she needed to go to hospital for a non-COVID related illness. Once at the hospital, it was COVID, COVID, COVID even to the extent of having a kebab stick shoved up her nostrils so that she could be cleared to be admitted to a ward.

All this on her birthday!! 

So, to all those who think that COVID is the only health matter needing to be dealt with, I say, "Go F yourself!"

I'm off air today as I enter into battle with COVID obsessed medical staff to get proper care and attention for my wife!

• Informative 1
  • Sad 2

OME - I'm sorry to hear about your wife taking a turn for the worse, and for your health system trials and tribulations. I trust events take a better turn today.

I can understand your current frustration - but with the huge number of health professionals catching the COVID-19 virus, it is understandable that they are very worried about any virus transmission into health centres, that could run rampant.

As always, the rules and regulations are introduced to ensure problems are minimised, but it's the common sense execution of those rules and regulations that seem to get left behind in everyday actions that still must be carried out, for activities to proceed at a satisfactory pace. The OH&S managers of many operations, often go to extremes of pointless pettiness, in carrying out their jobs.

I understand how you feel, O.M.E.

Yesterday we got a call from the pharmacy located in the foyer of Epworth Eastern Hospital, Box Hill, to say that they had received stocks of a medication we had on back order for my wife. As parking within a bull's roar of the hospital is impossible without paying an arm and a leg, I drove and took my daughter to run into the chemist. As usual, there was the sign-in, temperature check and hand sanitisation, but she was wearing TWO masks, a normal blue surgical mask with a cloth mask supplied by the Red Nose charity people over the top. She was required to take them off and put on one supplied by the hospital - for a two minute call into the chemist, for heaven's sake. Common sense has taken a holiday. A big sign on the door -  NO VISITORS.

All the best to you and your wife.

My daughter drove up from Canberra this morning, only to find out that the rule is ONE person per day. Since I was already that one person, it initially meant that she couldn't come in to let me go home for a nap. Somehow she sweet-talked them and got the OK. So I got to grab a nap, but I'll go back in this evening. 

Apart from the One-only rule you have to produce proof of name and address, plus contact phone number before you can get through the front door. And inside _ the senior doctors walk around maskless.

Thanks for your good wishes. Poor baby. It was her birthday yesterday and all was going so well until after dinner. At least she's getting better care and treatment than I could give her at home, and maybe they will look into the problems that we wanted looked into last month.

• Like 1

@OME - All the best to your wife and it is great to hear she is finally getting good treatment. And pass on many happy returns to her from us.,

As someone who has worked to improve many organisations processes through the automated use of data, it is so frustrating to continually see heath services having the repetitively obtain the same information. The services (ambos, receptionists, nurses, docs, etc) should have access to the same info.. it shouold be verified at source (although, granted, if the ambos or operator are respondiong to emergencies where they don't have the time, there could be an issue, which means, that when even if at each stage, they verified the info by reading it back to you, it is far faster than asking the questions, taking the info and recording it again). Also, I would guess this isn't your wife's first time in hospital, so I would think a lot more of the static info is probably not even required to be recorded again. Makes my blood boil!

Yes, it is a bit strange, since the Ambo's asked for her Medicare card when they arrived. That is the key that opens the access to her full medical library. What I meant about giving my details every day to go into the hospital was that they record my details on a iPad, which doesn't seen to have access to a searchable database.

There is an important reason for nursing staff to repeatedly ask a patient's name and DOB. That's so they don't either give the wrong medications, or that samples obtained from the patient are not incorrectly labelled for identification.

Anyway, the good news is that her fever is coming down; she was lucky to be put in a single bed room; the doctors think she has had a chronic low level bacterial infection in the gut and the other night the bugs decided on a Great Escape. As soon as they can identify the bug they can target treatment. It's good that it is bacteria, not a virus since you can kill a bacteria.

• Like 2

So what's happened to the mobile phone tracing app? There's almost no mention of it in the press these days. After all the promotion effort the government put into it, I would have thought it would be talked up big time given the number of cases in Victoria. Particularly if it had relevant value in contact tracing during the current second wave. Has it turned out to be a dud that nobody wants to talk about.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I see Anna Palla-sucks is trying to outdo Dictator Dan in being as unhelpful as possible. A small town's only supermarket burns down and she wont let residents cross "THE BORDER" to buy life supplies - in the same town that's split by "THE BORDER". And thats after she is responsible for the death of a baby because the parents were not allowed to cross the border to a hospital. And she expects to get re-elected. She could teach His Orangeness a thing or two.

And as for Dictator Dan, reports are that we won't be able to even get back to stage 1 lockdown until there are 14 days with zero new cases. Don't hold your breath!!! No word or indication when hospitality and pubs will re-open. We are worried about our son who runs a pub. And because he lives 35km away, we can't visit him, and he can't come here.

• Agree 1

Peter, the parents of the baby were given the wrong advice by their doctor about border crossing permits, so they didn't apply for a permit and opted to go south instead. In cases like theirs the government is issuing permits. The parents themselves have said it's no fault of anyone and just an unfortunate misunderstanding.

• Informative 1