COVID-19 Virus.

Phil Perry

More from Victoria. Active cases are few and far between in regfional areas and there is very little or no community transmission, so some restrictions are being lifted as of tomorrow.. However, metropolitan Melbourne must remain in lockdown till 28 Sept,  if a rolling 14 day average of new cases remains below 50 per day. There will be a partial lifting which will then remain in place till 28 Oct. Permanent road blocks are being set up on the outskirts of the metro area, and anyone attempting to travel to the country to enjoy their new "freedoms" will be charged with a new offence "Attempting to leave a controlled/restricted area". and be hit with a $4,957 fine.

Under the eased conditions, hairdressers and contact-free pet groomers will be able to open, restaurants will be able to serve meals to patrons seated outside (alfesco dining) but not indoors. There will be sidewalk cafes everywhere. No word on when pubs and clubs can re-open. 

Maybe those who don't like the restrictions would be better off in USA.

The USA has over 20% of the worlds cases and also deaths and they have lax control procedures it seems.

Only 20603 cases per million populatiion and 608 deaths. We hear a lot about India, which is vastly bigger in population than the USA and has only 18% of cases of the USA

• Agree 1

It was interesting listening to the ABC Coronacast podcast today. Dr Norman Swan was talking about the potential transport and distribution problems with Oxford's monkey adenovirus based vaccine due to the fact that it has to be stored at -70 or lower. And the genetic one has to kept even colder.

On the other hand, the more conventional vaccines being developed in the U.S., China. Russia, and here in Australia, can all be stored at fridge temperature making storage and transportation no harder than existing vaccines.

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/coronacast/why-the-wait-for-a-vaccine-might-be-longer-than-you-think/12686582

• Informative 1

Now I know why I've never tried to read U.N. documents before. The U.N. General Assembly draft resolution titled  'Comprehensive and coordinated response to the Coronavirus disease (Covid-19) pandemic' is one sentence 14 pages long. Only one full stop right at the very end. If you took out all the words, there would be a couple of pages of commas and semi-colons.

https://undocs.org/A/74/L.92

The resolution passed by 169 votes to 2, with the only countries voting against it being the U.S. and Israel.

Covid-19 has claimed its first minister. Jenny Mikakos, Minister for Health in the Andrews government, texted her resignation today, after Andrews threw her under the bus last night. I'm told that he could hardly keep the smile off his face at today's news conference. So much for "The buck stops with me."

I really do have dishpan hands - I do all the dishwashing. My daughter has a dermatitis problem and my wife does nothing, so it's up to me. So much hot water, my hands look half cooked. And in this cold weather, they freeze like ice.

There's the old joke - I've absorbed so much detergent washing my hands, when I pee the toilet bowl froths.

• Like 1

So the minister has resigned and the premier is gloating. Surely the people of Victoria must realize that the big problem the Vic government is grappling with was brought about by the Vic government, especially the premier. Leave them to fix the stuff up and you have no idea what will follow. Daniel Andrews seems to be thinking that the fact that the virus is retreating  puts him in a good light. If he had acted correctly in the first place there would have been far less of a problem. Leave him there and God alone knows what else will happen. What we do know is that whatever does happen Daniel Andrews will not know who caused it to happen, but it couldn't have been him.

Reminds me of the old saying about some of the people know what is happening etc.

Andrews is typical of the Professional Politician, who has never held down a real job in life, nor had any managerial experience. And his lack of ability, right through the COVID-19 mis-management, shows up clearly. 

Compare him with W.A.'s Premier Mark McGowan, who has had military and officer training, legal training, and a job as a Navy lawyer. His military training and skills have kicked in with his approach and handling of the COVID-19 virus management in W.A., and his popularity with West Australian voters is in excess of 90%, a remarkable effort for any politician in the last 150 years.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Our Qld premier has done fairly well, in fact so well that she has pissed off Scott Morrison. I don't think she has been much other than a politician, but I agree that there are a load of useless proffessional pollies out there. What really gets me is that they don't ever appear to keep minutes or note of what happens at meetings and who makes what decision.

I really cannot see how anyone could want Andrews to remain as premier in Vic, when he has shown conspicuous incompetence.

We don't do that with Australian troops after the Breaker Morant affair.

While serving with the Bushveldt Carbineers during the Second Anglo-Boer War, Lieutenant Morant was arrested and court-martialled for war crimes—one of the first such prosecutions in British military history. Lieutenants Morant and Peter Handcock were accused of the summary execution of Floris Visser, a wounded prisoner of war, and the slaying of four Afrikaners and four Dutch schoolteachers who had been taken prisoner at the Elim Hospital. They were found guilty and sentenced to death. Morant and Handcock represent a turning point for Australians’ self-determination and independence from British rule. 

During the First World War, while approximately 306 soldiers, including several Canadians, were executed by the British Army during the First World War, this sentence was not carried out by the Australian Army.

After the dreadful bombardments of Pozieres in 1916, absence without leave increased alarmingly and some senior Australian officers argued that Australian soldiers should face the same penalties that applied in the British Army. However, the general feeling, both at home in Australia as well as of those serving, was against inflicting the death penalty on men who had volunteered to fight in a cause not primarily their own. The Australian Imperial Force (AIF) instead had to rely on the leadership and example of its officers, the tone and esprit de corps of its men, and alternative penalties, including the publication of lists of offenders in Australian newspapers. The Commonwealth Defence Act 1903 clause allowing for the death penalty was only officially superseded  by the Defence Force Re-organization Act 1975.

• Like 1

I reckon the British would have killed my grandfather in France if it had not been for breaker Morant. My grandfather was part of a group of " undisciplined" Australian soldiers who bashed up some pommy mp's for mistreating ( bashing  when tied-up )  a  prisoner of theirs who was a pommy soldier.  I was and still are proud of my grandfather.

AND I sure agree with how weak the Australians in Gallipoli were in not taking stronger action over their circumstances. There was a book I read where the new soldier in france  was amazed at how they got a good meal even while being shelled... " no food no fight" the newby was told.  but at Gallipoli they actully suffered from malnutrition .

2 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

the new soldier in france  was amazed at how they got a good meal even while being shelled... " no food no fight" the newby was told.  but at Gallipoli they actully suffered from malnutrition .

Two things at work here: volunteer army and working class struggle.