COVID-19 Virus.

Phil Perry

2 minutes ago, Admin said:

On Monday my son's school was closed due to a year11/12 student getting Covid

On Tuesday the other school in my local area, Macleod College, was closed due to a year11/12 student getting Covid

Today I woke to find another school not that far away is closed due to a year11/12 student getting Covid

This is going to go on and on and on for months because for every new case, 374 of them yesterday, we have to wait for at least 3 to 5 more weeks to see if there are any infections passed on from the positives obtained each day, and then 3 to 5 weeks from each of them etc etc etc...Victoria's pseudo lockdown is going to be prolonged for months is my gut feel...imagine if we had have gone into a full real lockdown when this 2nd wave started? A lot less lives would have been ruined

That's what the doctors are saying now.  Do a full shut down and do it for long enough, and you may actually eradicate it in the community.  Heard Gladys saying that they couldn't eradicate it in NSW.  So it'll just be the old seesaw of closing down, opening a bit, getting a cluster, closing down - until there's a vaccine which could be a couple of years or more.  That'll wreck economies and businesses more than a solid 2-3 month lockdown would.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I wonder if the virus can ever be fully eradicated. It only takes one person carrying the virus to start the whole chain reaction going again. Because it can be spread a couple of days before there are any symptoms, every single one of us is suspect, and being tested is no guarantee. You can be tested and contact a carrier before you even receive the results of your test.

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, red750 said:

I wonder if the virus can ever be fully eradicated. It only takes one person carrying the virus to start the whole chain reaction going again. Because it can be spread a couple of days before there are any symptoms, every single one of us is suspect, and being tested is no guarantee. You can be tested and contact a carrier before you even receive the results of your test.

The big advantage we have is that we're an island.  So if you eradicate it in Australia and have strict quarantine arrangements - talking AFP & army here, not horny security guards - for incoming passengers (of which hopefully there won't be massive amounts) then you minimise the chances of outbreaks.  Continue to widely test and if you get to a point where all states have zero new cases for over a month, then within Australia the economy can pretty much start to get going again.

• Like 1

Accoring to Dan the Man, up to 90% of people are waiting after feeling sick before getting tested, going about life as normal, and spreading the virus to contacts. One extremely stupid and selfish woman from Glen Waverley got tested, then before getting a result, travelled with her boyfriend to Orbost and back, visiting stores and fast food places along the way. She proved positive. Now a number of businesses in East Gippsland are shut due to her stupidity. She and her boyfriend were fined $1600 each for breaching isolation rules. The people of East Gippsland want much heavier penalties.

• Like 2

The pollies are working even if parliament is not sitting. They wouldn't be worth paying if their only work was when they were cat calling to each other when parliament sits.

Having said that they don't appear to be doing much good, There have been several bungles by the bureaucrats that seem to be covered up.

My son Lachlan received an email from the school advising that he has been determined to be a close contact of the positive Covid 19 case at his school. He has to get a Covid 19 test done at a hospital, not a testing station, on Sat which will be day 11 for him. He has to immediately quarantine, get the test on Sat and remain in quarantine till at least Wed which will be day 14 or later if he hasn't received his test result. The whole family is now in self quarantine and we are not leaving the house under any circumstances.

• Informative 1

I've seen everything now. On the ABC news tonight, they were saying people in Victoria will be fined for not wearing a mask but joggers are exempt. They showed video footage of people walking in masks with an unmasked jogger passing in close proximity, spewing out aerosol for metres around him. What sort of brain dead decision is that, exempting joggers. It beggars belief.

I'm just a commoner

But I do have some common sense.

That's because I grew up in an age where common sense covered everything that nowadays requires a risk assessment.

And I survived quite well without all the cotton wool and litigation that goes with modern OH&S. (Which is artificial common sense)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

In the Olde days, any fool could see that a jogger poses a high risk to fellow mankind, and should take a responsible decision to wear a mask in spite of the obviously silly rule made by some dimshit bureaucrat. And if they didn't, peer pressure (ridicule) would have encouraged the idiot to wear one.

In our enlightened times, we whinge about it on forums, and pointlessly  blame officialdom. It is more productive to put a foot out to trip any unmasked jogger, and while they are lying on the ground get their attention to remind them that masks are a good idea at this time.

Edited by nomadpete
  • Agree 1

Here is a screen shot of the State Gov fact sheet sent to my son Lachlan yesterday with his Close Contact notification...now this is electronic and it is not an old printed copy...is it any wonder people are confused

1.png

Not trying to do a Donald Trump here, but I would like to know what the death rate per week for 80 and 90 year olds in nursing homes was prior to Covid-19. Has the rate increased dramatically? Those places are often referred to as God's Waiting Rooms.

It depends very much on what the aged care centre did from the start, and how the staffing system operated at the centre.

Before the club closures, I was driving a courtesy bus. I used to pick up one bloke from an aged care centres. Before the club closures came, his facility went into lock down. I haven't heard of a case  of Covid from there. Another centre employed staff who were recent immigrants from the Philippines. They weren't very bright, and I reckon they only were there to get appearance money. I don't know if the staff here were amongst those who worked short shifts in multiple centres, but that care centre has got positives.

I must admit, I don't recall being told of the death of any of the people who could come out on bus trips. Perhaps they were the ones who hadn't booked a seat in the Waiting Room.

1 hour ago, red750 said:

Not trying to do a Donald Trump here, but I would like to know what the death rate per week for 80 and 90 year olds in nursing homes was prior to Covid-19. Has the rate increased dramatically? Those places are often referred to as God's Waiting Rooms.

Not being a Donald Trump- it is a fair question...

From a UK perspective this may give an answer: https://www.health.org.uk/news-and-comment/charts-and-infographics/deaths-from-any-cause-in-care-homes-have-increased

When I googled for Australia, i couldn't get anything useful, but that is because Google's search algos of late seem to be trying put a local context on its results.

On 23/07/2020 at 9:50 AM, old man emu said:

ScoMo has closed parliament until 11th August. https://www.theaustralian.com.au/commentary/coronavirus-australia-war-couldnt-stop-parliament-so-why-now/news-story/a6b3ea10778ca67818142c5d01e41b37

If that's the case, shouldn't the politicians now be on Job Seeker?

Probably hazard a guess that their pay hasn't stopped.

My dad was in a nursing home for a short while before moving into a hospital in hias last days. In the last few months he was pretty incoherent with dementia, and couldn't recognise my brother when he visited. The last time I saw him, he was unconscious and stopped breathing for lengthy periods.On the other hand, my mother remained alert to the end, making final financial arrangements with my sister only a few hours before she passed away in hospital. My mother in law was in a nursing home for a few months, gradually drifting into dementia. Often slept right through the visitingg hours when we were there. There were other patrients who either slept in front of a TV, or sat in a chair and drooled. Some cried like babies or wailed mournfully. Some may think I'm hard and heartless, but when some of these go, it is a blessing, although hard on the relatives. I think some of these deaths are being attributed to Covid-19.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, red750 said:

I think some of these deaths are being attributed to Covid-19.

Attributing a death to covid is not done gratuitously.  It is known that many aged care workers have tested positive such that there is a looming crisis in staff availability.  There is talk of importing aged care workers from interstate.. If these aged care workers have tested positive why is it so hard to believe that it would spread to the residents?  

Newmarch house aged care facility in Sydney 19 deaths, Just a bad couple of weeks?????

Edited by octave

12 hours ago, red750 said:

My dad was in a nursing home for a short while before moving into a hospital in hias last days. In the last few months he was pretty incoherent with dementia, and couldn't recognise my brother when he visited. The last time I saw him, he was unconscious and stopped breathing for lengthy periods.On the other hand, my mother remained alert to the end, making final financial arrangements with my sister only a few hours before she passed away in hospital. My mother in law was in a nursing home for a few months, gradually drifting into dementia. Often slept right through the visitingg hours when we were there. There were other patrients who either slept in front of a TV, or sat in a chair and drooled. Some cried like babies or wailed mournfully. Some may think I'm hard and heartless, but when some of these go, it is a blessing, although hard on the relatives. I think some of these deaths are being attributed to Covid-19.

My mother died in a home ,full blown dementia ,her weight was 38 kilo when she passed, she was like this for 12 months and the last six was like a vegetable, it was horrible watching her like that in the last days of her life , society, religious doctrine and the law is an ass, in extreme case,s she should have had the option of going with dignity ,not a shrivelled up ,blind ,deaf, organs failing,and in pain human, do that to an animal and you will be up on charges, so Red i agree

• Like 2

I just watched a short news clip on Victoria's mask wearing rules. It's still hard to believe the exemption for runners. People walking have to wear a mask while those running don't. If the authorities allow that, why not make it a serious offence to be caught running within twenty metres of another person. Exempting joggers must be one of the most stupid decisions I've ever seen undertaken by any authorities ever.

1 minute ago, willedoo said:

I just watched a short news clip on Victoria's mask wearing rules. It's still hard to believe the exemption for runners. People walking have to wear a mask while those running don't. If the authorities allow that, why not make it a serious offence to be caught running within twenty metres of another person. Exempting joggers must be one of the most stupid decisions I've ever seen undertaken by any authorities ever.

I agree but looking at rules in other countries it seems to be the standard.   A jogger passed me  yesterday and kindly crossed to the other side of the road so perhaps etiquette may change.l  I suspect that sometimes a new rule may not go all the way because they believe it may be ignored and hard to police. I do agree with what you say though. 

1 hour ago, octave said:

I agree but looking at rules in other countries it seems to be the standard.   A jogger passed me  yesterday and kindly crossed to the other side of the road so perhaps etiquette may change.l  I suspect that sometimes a new rule may not go all the way because they believe it may be ignored and hard to police. I do agree with what you say though. 

It does seem a bit illogical in light of recent research that has estimated how far very small aerosols can travel and how long they will stay airborne. Compared to normal breathing, a joggers breath is turbo charged and possibly similar to sneezing regarding spread of droplets. The inconsistent thing is, if joggers are exempt, why does someone walking for exercise have to wear a mask when they are the lessor of two evils.

• Like 1