COVID-19 Virus.

Phil Perry

Checked a few dates. Greek Easter was April 19. Any spike from that would have shown up earlier than this week. Ramadan was 23 April to 23 May. Again a bit early. 

But Muslims celebrate the Festival of Eid al-Fitr, the festival marking the end of the Muslim holy month of fasting. Depending on the sighting of the moon, Eid celebrations will begin either on Tuesday (June 4) or Wednesday (June 5). This puts it at the right time for a virus spike at the end of June.

• Informative 1

The cause of the spike is known, we don't need to guess. the clusters are comprised of  some family clusters, health workers, hotel staff , and some schools and health workers.   Whilst we should learn lessons from this it seems pointless to lay the entire blame on any one group when the outbreak is amongst many different groups. 

Keilor Downs family 2 / Coles Chilled Distribution Centre
Albanvale primary school
Rydges hotel
Stamford Plaza/Monash Health/Hallam family
Coburg family
H&M Northland/North Melbourne family/ Brimbank family
St Monica’s College/Wollert
Hugo Boss, Collins St
StarTrack, Tullamarine
Truganina / Sunshine West / Al Taqwa College
Patterson Lakes and Lysterfield family
Ascot Vale family
Maribyrnong family
Hampstead Dental, Maidstone
Older clusters:
Keilor Downs family 1
Cedar Meats

McDonald’s Fawkner

Coronavirus Victoria: everything we know about Melbourne's Covid-19 clusters

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, octave said:

Whilst we should learn lessons from this it seems pointless to lay the entire blame on any one group when the outbreak is amongst many different groups. 

Exactly, Octave. It doesn't matter whether the clusters are black, white or brindle, the main focus should be on controlling the outbreak and trying to keep it that way. A bunch of drunken bogans at a suburban barbeque can spread it just as easily as can Moslems congregating after Ramadan. It's fair enough to point the finger at those engaging in risky behaviour, but to break the numbers down into race and culture is pointless.

• Like 3

Give me a break! ! ! As if submitting false timesheets to rort the system isn't bad enough, security personnel who can't keep it in their pants and women who can't keep their legs crossed for 14 days.?

Sodom and Gomorrah?

I give up!

I seem to have missed something... Is this really the case.. Was it for the "red" hotel (i.e. the hotel housing known COVID-19 travellers returning rather than the streets of St. Kilda)? Is it the same security firm that is still guarding the hotel? If so, that is outrageous!

Unf, there are some people for whom the primal desires just know no bounds... An overdose of Sertroline or something similar should sort them out for a while...

Yes Jerry, one of the main hotels is Rydges in Exhibition Street. This mornings news reports that security guards have been receiving payment from their employer while claiming Jobkeeper payments from Centrelink. They have also been accused of taking quarantine detainees on shopping trips to McDonalds and shopping centres, as well as fratanising. One security guard was taking Uber ride passengers between his security shifts.

• Informative 1

A lot of the spread would have been prevented if people felt it was safe ( from getting the sack ) to stay home  (and stay there till tested )   when you felt sick. A big reason for the spread in the US is because it is part of their culture to go to work even if you feel sick.

It would be within the control of a smart government to change this , but I don't see it happening. I wonder why not.

I see in the news today around 10,000 people in the lock down areas of Melbourne have refused to take the test citing such things as Covid isn't a problem anyway and it is all a conspiracy

• Sad 1

There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know’. 

It's orignal source is thought to be Book of Jeremiah, chapter 5, verse 21 “Hear now this, oh foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears and hear not.”

1 hour ago, old man emu said:

There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know’. 

It's orignal source is thought to be Book of Jeremiah, chapter 5, verse 21 “Hear now this, oh foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears and hear not.”

Hmmm.  While I don't disagree with the sentiment, there is something mildly ironic about using biblical verses in support of a scientific standpoint.

• Like 1

Marty,

The point being made is that self delusion in not a recent phenomenon. It's been around for at least a couple of thousand years. Probably since the dawn of consciousness.

I don't think it is related to any aspect of religiousity

Speaking of a couple of thousand years, I heard a suggestion today that this virus has been around for a couple of thousand years, trapped in the polar icecaps, and released with the melting of those icecaps due to global warming.

re Ian's post above, I heard the same on the news. The test should be compulsory, with serious penalties for those resisting. Apparently, one "super spreader" is responsible for a large part of this outbreak.

3 hours ago, nomadpete said:

I don't think it is related to any aspect of religiousity

I agree that the New Testament is the basis of a religion, The Old Testament is a combination of secular and spiritual philosophy. Also because the Bible formed a strong part of the development of English culture and education, it is not unusual that quotes from it have become part of the cliches of normal speech. Is "a tooth for a tooth" not as equally acceptable in normal speech as "to be, or not to be"?

" a tooth for a tooth" goes back to the building code of Hammurabi. If a builder causes harm to a customer, the exact same penalty was to be applied to the builder, up to and including the death of his first-born son. This had the effect of encouraging conservative design methods.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Plenty of mistakes made in Melbourne but they were made elsewhere as well. They just weren't concentrated so much. 10,000 refusing to take the test, people trying to sneak over the border, changing the address on their drivers licence etc are all things authorities have to deal with let alone thousands of people in high rise slums, many whom struggle with or don't speak English. If we lived in an authoritarian regime residents would be locked into their houses & not be allowed to go anywhere as they did in Wuhan. It was easier there though as 90% lived in Apartments with only one external access.

Short of martial law there is not a lot more the local authorities can do. They are trying their best & that seems not enough for some  and a waste of time to those who don't care. All of Melbourne is now going in to lockdown. Time will tell if they can make it work.

The US is a perfect example of total chaos with a racist, narcissist leader who is in constant denial, fanning the flames and the first wave is gaining strength with deaths approaching 133,000, many State hospitals at breaking point & people even holding Covid parties to see if they can catch it. The only good thing that may come out of it is that Trump may not even stand in the upcoming election.

I have purposely stayed in lock down since March anyway due to compromised lungs and leaving the house only for absolute essential reasons like going to the doc for a Flu Shot. However, at 61 years of age and not working the possibility of getting a job now is extremely improbable with interstate jobs that will be coming up out of my reach for at least another 1.5 months. So, it was a real hard decision today whether to stay here in Melbourne with the family or head off interstate as I still have a Canberra address and an ACT drivers license...staying with the family won out but it is going to be hard coming out of lock down in 1.5 months when the rest of Australia has been up and running over that time.

37 minutes ago, Admin said:

I have purposely stayed in lock down since March anyway due to compromised lungs and leaving the house only for absolute essential reasons like going to the doc for a Flu Shot. However, at 61 years of age and not working the possibility of getting a job now is extremely improbable with interstate jobs that will be coming up out of my reach for at least another 1.5 months. So, it was a real hard decision today whether to stay here in Melbourne with the family or head off interstate as I still have a Canberra address and an ACT drivers license...staying with the family won out but it is going to be hard coming out of lock down in 1.5 months when the rest of Australia has been up and running over that time.

All the best Ian.  Hope you and your family come through ok.  

Same for everyone else in Vic - good luck.  At the moment Tassie is looking good but it only takes one mistake and we could be in the same situation.  None of us can afford to be complacent.

• Thanks 1