Best ever prime minister of Australia

Bruce Tuncks

The time I got to drive an E type, I thought it would be a chick magnet. But the only ( old ) person who showed any interest just wanted to see the engine. And he was a bloke.

There was a story about how the ww2 pommy minister for armaments cried when he found out that the Focke-Wulf had as much performance as the spitfire and cost about a third as much. Those elliptical wings were bloody hard to make and didn't help much. In fact they didn't help at all if you cut the tips off.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

42 minutes ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Those elliptical wings were bloody hard to make and didn't help much. In fact they didn't help at all if you cut the tips off.

I bet that was the main influence on the Jodel’s planform. Delemotez found a way to get similar wing efficiency for a fraction of the Spitfire’s complexity.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

10 hours ago, facthunter said:

You get too hot in an "E" type Jag. The speed triple has too strong a twist grip  action (3 carb springs) and you've been watching Vera too much if you want  a Defender. You didn't mention Fish & Chips. Nev

At least you didn't take the Spitfires and the girls off the list!

I had a Speed Triple, loved that bike.  Also driven an E-type Jag... it wasn't too warm as the top was down at the time.

Didn't say I wanted a Defender - I've heard too many stories about the build quality - but I do like the look of them.  They just look like a 4wd should.

• Like 2

My latest 4X4 is so full of electonics,  l,m worried to take it off'road. Might get it wet ( creek crossing  ). 

Then It,s DOOMED. Even blooodi heated seats. Three computer modules under seats. Twin AC units.

I miss my Old Jackaroo, only electric mirrors. Had those creeks washing over the bonnet a few times.

The Jack was passed down to my grandson, and he has only just passed it on ( not sold ), for a ' farm retirement ' .

The reason was ' Bureaucracy ' , as he has to tow his " drifting car ', & the Jack was too light.

spacesailor

• Like 1

My 2010 Nissan has successfully carried us across the continent and back a couple of times. But...  If ever it gets water higher than the floorboards, it will be a statutory write off...  However, Years ago my ex Viet Nam Land Rover got towed out of surf - I had to use a lot of WD40 but I still drove it to work on Monday.

These modern vehicles do not have the resiliance that older simpler machines had.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

OK, fellas, get ready for the next MEGA MULTI-QUOTE:

On 25/07/2022 at 8:21 AM, Old Koreelah said:

Crickey, don’t start on the Poms now! The poor buggers have copped far too much in recent times: pathetic politicians, crap cricketers and now the’re suffering Aussie-style heatwaves and fires. 

One of the things that struck me was how British politics followed Aussie politics. When I came out in late '96, Blair and Brown were the British equivalent of Hawke and Keating.. right down to the Treasurer succeeding his leader in a political back-stab.. Difference is Keatign was far better and went on to beat Hewson despite Keating's unpopularity at the time. Brown was possibly one of the most unpopular PMs in living memory. Then we have 12 years of questionable conservative culminating in a self-serving egotistical maniac leading our most corrupt government in living memory - and looking like losing the next general election to someone who would otherwise be unelectable - just after it happened in Australia. Yep there's a lot of similarities between the UK and Aus..

On 25/07/2022 at 8:25 AM, willedoo said:

And that's on top of pale skin and bad haircuts.

I think you are referring to all the Eastern Europeans that came when they joined the EU.. And the peasants only.

On 25/07/2022 at 8:44 AM, facthunter said:

When would you smell their feet? ()I won't tell anyone). Nev

You can't help it.. they only wash once a week normally... the reek just leaks out of their shoes. Now a drought is on, it is probably once/month.

On 25/07/2022 at 8:45 AM, willedoo said:

Legend has it they wear sandals at the beach.

Not a legend.. True.. Most of the beaches have pebbles rather than sand, which I actually prefer in some ways.. but sandals are a must on them.

On 25/07/2022 at 8:50 AM, facthunter said:

I know they pull their pants legs up and wade in the water, but that should help. Nev

It could help (deodorise their feet).. but they only go three times a year.

19 hours ago, facthunter said:

Jackaroo wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. People these days want to take the HOUSE with them. It's what's outside the van you tour for. Nev

Really! Not my experience. When I came back to Aus in 2003, we bought a 1999 model with a 3l (or maybe it was 3.2l) petrol. As an ex-Cruiser (FJ55, FJ60) and Nissam Patrol (GQ) bogan driver, the Jackaroo was not bad ad all. Oodles of power (to weight), comfortable inside, not crazy electronics.. was reliable, drove well, had reasonable 4x4 capability, and it was a slush box (my British partner doesn't drive manuals). And it carried a load OK for a then young family's need. It was one of my better cars to be honest.

Apparently, the diesel engines were pretty rubbish...

10 hours ago, nomadpete said:

Sorry, I forgot we were discussing Prime Ministers. How did we end up on cars?

But, as usual, as colonials, we can't help talk about the motherland, and then the stuff they made.. initially good, then crap. 😉

• Like 1

Jerry, here's the ABC take on the first QT of the new Parliament. Dutton made a fool of himself, obviously thinking he was still in Govt, by following Albo to the Govt's side of the Chamber - until Richard Marles pointed out Dutton now sits on the Opposition benches! It looks like Zali Steggall is coaching a bunch of the new girls into how the game is played in this boys club.

A bit of a cheap and weak shot by Dutton, trying to smear Albo on the 1st day by asking if he'd met recently with some union thugs. I'm sure Albo meets every day with some undesirable thugs, for various proper reasons, and those thugs don't necessarily belong to unions.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-27/anthony-albanese-faces-peter-dutton-in-first-question-time/101273362

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, onetrack said:

A bit of a cheap and weak shot by Dutton, trying to smear Albo on the 1st day by asking if he'd met recently with some union thugs. I'm sure Albo meets every day with some undesirable thugs, for various proper reasons, and those thugs don't necessarily belong to unions.

Dutton, for example.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, facthunter said:

It wasn't a gaffe . it was a stunt, calculated to appeal to a certain group. That's the way she's always worked.. Nev

Nev, you just summed up Hanson's entire sad and sorry career in three short sentences.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

WELL

A Christian footy player, coulden,t get his religion onto the field.

But the same creed that kicked him out . Want the other creed to be on the field,

I,m with Hanson over this !,   forced onto unwilling footy player,s.

Whatever that dialogue was that sent her out. ( I didn,t hear it ).

spacesailor

• Like 1

Speaking of Dutton,I don't think he will ever get to be pm cos he looks too much like Voldemort. Yes, this is a shallow point I know, but we are talking about the average voter, are we not.

Just like that billionaire Palmer  who was way too much like Trump and he was not voted in...  Maybe Australians are too smart to think a billionaire could possibly be acting on their behalf in all things. Smarter than trumpists huh.

Actually, I liked Palmer's policy on nuclear energy, but I accept what you guys have told me before about how nuclear is no longer the cheapest option. So I didn't vote for Palmer.

• Like 1