Best ever prime minister of Australia

Bruce Tuncks

On 19/07/2022 at 5:49 PM, Yenn said:

It appears he has finally gone mad,

I take issue with the word "finally".  From the moment he sullenly brandished a piece of coal in parliament I was pretty sure he was a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic.

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1

He preached in WA that people should trust in God and not governments, saying that governments could not be trusted. How very true when you look at his government.

We did not know much about him when he became PM, but it didn't take long to see that he was useless. What really pisses me off is that the LNP made him PM and the LNP persisted in promoting him even when it was obvious that he was no good.

Now he wants the top job at the UN, just think of how much damage he could do there. I reckon God must be turning in his grave.

• Like 1

I thought this thread was Australia's best PMs 😉

SFM, I honestly believe, thinks he did the right thing because the Abrhamic scriptures basically state the worlds resources are ours to exploit.

I prefer the Aboriginal/1st nations view of our natural resources.

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

Since when did tribes become nations? It really gets my goat that they are called "nations". Their culture was about as bad as a culture can be. Just ask an aboriginal woman who has been bashed by her man. There were plenty of them in Alice Springs.

Anyway, with respect to natural gas, I reckon Johnny was more stupid than bad. I reckon he thought that Australia had infinite gas and you only needed the right policies to extract it

• Winner 1

I spent my childhood in the Arrente area on that map Jerry. The tribes hated each other even more than they hated the white men. And they treated their women so badly that when the women were kidnapped by the first white cattlemen, they didn't run away back to their tribe.

I well remember wondering why they didn't run home. They easily could have. But in later life, I met a senior matron from the hospital. She said that aboriginal women used to often appear with shocking injuries.

These days, the whites have been blamed for this but I know better.

On an average day, the men would go off hunting but 90% of the time they would return empty-handed. Just imagine how hard it would be to kill a kangaroo with a pointed stick.

On the tenth day, they would return with a feast. They sat around the fire eating their kill and would throw titbits over their shoulders to the women and dogs.

Their hunting methods included poisoning water-holes. There is a shrub called " poison emu bush ". Just imagine the outcry if whitefellers had ever done that.

• Informative 2

2 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Since when did tribes become nations? It really gets my goat that they are called "nations". Their culture was about as bad as a culture can be. Just ask an aboriginal woman who has been bashed by her man. There were plenty of them in Alice Springs...

We’re told that the white-fella concept of “tribe” doesn’t really fit.

“Language group” is probably closer (as show in Jerry’s map) but more recently “nations” has crept in.

Bruce you are right to point out some of the atrocious aspects of traditional culture. Not so long ago it was common to read about only the worst side of our indigenous people. In recent decades there has been an overdue appreciation of the positives. The pendulum always swings too far each way. Some very confronting aspects of traditional culture have been glossed over.

Hopefully more people will be as brave as you to challenge the general perception.

Our european ancestors had some appalling habits, but we’ve grown up since then. There are plenty of signs that our Indigenous people will also. Now that so many Indig. people are in positions of infuence in government, administration, health and media, their voices have been heard about past and current injustices.

Let’s hope that gradually they will address the worst in the behaviour of their brothers.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

8 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

The tribes hated each other even more than they hated the white men. And they treated their women so badly that when the women were kidnapped by the first white cattlemen, they didn't run away back to their tribe.

Hey, I never said they were perfect or had a good way of life. However, I do like how they integrated with and thrived with their environment.

• Informative 1

There was an old lady in town who used to go to the courthouse and give the judges a lecture on indigenous issues and law. Olive Pink has since been recognized as a great lady. I'll never forgive my parents and teachers for not telling me about her at the time. I just thought she was a batty old ugly woman. 

And well said, old K. Yes, there are good things about the indigenous culture. They are very tolerant for example and very stoic. I quite agree that we should try to give a balanced opinion and not go off to an extreme. 

Gosh, there are even good things you can say about the poms. Can't think of one right now but.....  hang on, they were alone in opposing Hitler for years.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

2 minutes ago, Old Koreelah said:

The poor buggers have copped far too much in recent times: pathetic politicians, crap cricketers and now the’re suffering Aussie-style heatwaves and fires.

And that's on top of pale skin and bad haircuts.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

In those years they did build some good stuff. I was in the army in the fifties and we had so many different makes of equipment that we couldn't keep it all going because the spares inventory was so great. Just a quick recall and I can think of twelve makes of truck, running on two different fuels. Among those twelve there were several variants of most of them. I reckon the governments idea was to keep all those manufacturers going, but within about five years most of them had closed up shop. Just thought of a few more. Funny though there were only two motorbikes.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

On the subject of Poms, my great grandparents came to Queensland in the late 1880's from Shropshire. My great grandmother died young, well before my dad was born, but my dad was 14 when his grandfather died, so he knew him well. I'd seen photographs and heard stories about my great grandfather but had never heard my dad describe his accent. Thankfully we have the internet these days, so I was able to find plenty of Shropshire accents on Youtube. It was a bit strange matching an accent to the face I'd known of for years.

• Like 2