Australia Post

Yenn

Australia Post is now asking to be released from their obligation to deliver letters five days a week. They say that on  average, Australian homes now only receiving 2.2 letters per week, compared to 8.5 per week a couple of years ago. This has resulted in major losses to the organisation.

• Informative 2

It may be fair enough, but unless you can and do receive time-bound legal requests electronically rather than by letter, then it may put you at a disadvantage if you don't get it ASAP.

Society is changiung.. the Post Office should charge the cost + margin for delivering letters.. it may make the move to secure digital communications much quicker.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

It may be fair enough, but unless you can and do receive time-bound legal requests electronically rather than by letter

I recently had to sell my mother's house on her behalf. She lives in a different state.   I was quite surprised at how many legal documents I was able to sign online. 

I suspect it won't be long before we tell kids about the times when someone would ride past every house in the country, every day to deliver letters. We will explain that letters are like emails but you write them on paper.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Many legal documents can now be signed on line. Once you have an appropriate digital ID verified you get an email with a link to a secure site that you log in to with a 2 step process. I do all my financial stuff, certifications, Suerannuation & taxation returns etc this way.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, old man emu said:

A friend was telling me that his wife wrote a letter to one of their granddaughters, who is in high school. The girl had to ask a teacher to read the letter for her because the girl could not read "running writing".

Don’t be surprised if lots of young teachers can’t either.

Even though I’m an old bugger who learned to write with ink pens, I have trouble reading my mum’s WWII diaries.

• Informative 1

Unfortunately, a lot of the old hand-written records are largely unintelligible, anyway - because so many people doing the recording had bloody awful writing, to put it mildly.

I was trying to decipher a friends fathers military records from WW2, and there's a lot of handwriting there I still can't decipher.

It's bad enough that they used a vast amount of abbreviations for units and depts and medical centres - many of which had short lives, and were replaced by other units and depts that had name changes, or had been amalgamated. I often wonder now, what kind of major stuff-ups happened in wartime where handwriting was misread, and the stuff-up was buried or hidden.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, spacesailor said:

Then! . when written letter's are gone, the English teacher's will NOT be needed .

Ask " Sirrus "  . Or say "  Goodle make AI compose text to this person " ?

The End .

Of Cursive and Calligraphy. 

spacesailor

How often do you get a hand written letter Spacey?

Mine all seem to be printed window jobs, sometimes with "Reminder" or "Overdue" on them.

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 1

NAH ! .

Not me , I don't know,  beyond my grandparents, any history .

I don't intend to keep my father's name , as my brother's passed way before  me I don't intend to sit on a damp cloud & listen to harp music .

OR be buried in the ground. ! 

But who am I  , to say We're my descendants will dump me . LoL

spacesailor

• Informative 1

28 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

But who am I  , to say We're my descendants will dump me .

Seriously, though. It is your right to say how your remains will be treated. It sounds like you would like to be cremated. Just put that in your Will, and let your Executor know that it is in there. I've specified where I want to be buried, and have already got the plot. Next thing is to make the container I'm going in. 

• Like 1

Gosh Spacy, I never even thought about deep water having enough pressure to stop rotten meat making methane bubbles and therefore floating up. I used to say that you needed to weigh the stiff down with concrete or something to stop them surfacing in a few days.

This explains a lot to me, so thanks!

• Confused 1

The audacity of AP. I just saw a new commercial boasting "Australia Post always delivers, always will." When you see the number of reports of lost items from the post, and no compensation. Now they want to reduce the delivery days. One person reported that they renewed their drivers licence and the new licence was sent by mail but never turned up. They had to go through all the hoops, including having a new photo taken.

If you are expecting a delivery, you now HAVE to have the Australa Post app so they can inform you why  they didn't deliver it and where you can collect it. They don't even put a card in your mailbox. The item is usually sent to a Post Office, but may not be the closest one. Too bad if you work in the city, leave home at 7:30 in the morning and don't get home till 7:30 in the evening.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 1

The biggest problem with AP in my street/road is the mail contractors. They deliver by car and pull into the driveways beside the letterbox, lean over and take the easiest option. If anyone has a letterbox of the type in the photo below, the contractors put the letters in the open front roof and not in the letter slot. In that case, the best case scenario is if it rains and your mail gets wet. That way the letters are too heavy to blow away. If not, the passing trucks blow the letters down into the storm water drain and they can get lost in the long grass.

Most people have now blocked off the roof front of their letterboxes so the contractors can't do that. In that case, the contractors put the letters in the slot, but are too lazy or in too much of a hurry to fully insert any magazines into the letterbox. They shove them half in so they are angled upward and funnel any rain into the box to wet all the mail.

e3518baa-20e6-4cb3-a288-ac754c77a992.png

Edited by willedoo
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1

I must admit, most of the metro posties do the right thing with letters. They ride electric trikes and I have often seen them get off the trike and take small parcels to the door. They are not obliged to knock on the door, they drop it on the porch/step, take a photo and leave. The biggest problem is with the parcel delivery contractors. You may have sen videos of contractors throwing parcels over the fence or even from the window of their van. Who cares if it is fragile. Reports are posted on Facebook every day of parcels sent to five sorting centres in three states, to be delivered in the same state as it was posted.

Here is an Australia Post tracking report for a parcel sent from Melbourne to Wodonga Vic. This is not an exception, it is common.

trackingreport.thumb.jpg.c58828bee0a773fc77c1935e27c55a17.jpg

• Informative 3

• 3 months later...

Refer my post on 31 August, above.

Less than 4 weeks from Christmas, and the news advises that AP plan to stop daily letter deliveries from next week. 

On the Australia Post Complaints Facebook page, I have seen AP staff or apologists saying if you have urgent legal documents that need to be sent for signatures, etc., don't use AP, use a private courier.

Time Australia Post was disbanded.

• Informative 1
  • Sad 1