Australia Post

Yenn

My latest is a new umbrella I ordered through Amazon on Friday the 9th when my 25 year old quality golf umbrella finally broke. It started in Sydney, was in transit to Kempsey when it went back to Chullora & then on to Mayfield West in Newcastle where it currently is. Kempsey is past Newcastle so why not divert direct to Mayfield West rather that go back to Sydney & start again. Aust Post is blaming the floods at present. 

It had to come.......

"Bloody hell, glad i found somewhere to put in some complaints.
Was delivering the mail today and after i chucked some mail in a wheelie bin shaped letterbox the next house had their tootin letterbox 5m from to footpath, i didnt want to ruin their lawn so i had to get of me boike. Cheeesus krust that was an effort
Anyone else?"

• 3 weeks later...

The bill was issued on 27 Apr so it is possible, even most likely, that it was mis-delivered, and opened before the recipient realised it was not theirs, and popped it in my mailbox. Mail in this neighbourhood is regularly delivered to the wrong address.

• Informative 1

Yet again today, received a letter for a house three streets away. This is the third time it has happened. Same house every time. What's the bet they received our water bill first. I've lodged a complaint with AP, for all the good it will do.

• Sad 1

I collected an item from my son's letterbox. It was a plastic envelope containing a letter that had been torn at one corner, most likely while going through a sorting machine. The letter contained the registration renewal papers for my D-i-L's car. It is hard to tell why a letter was caught in the machine, but it could have been due to the RMS posting letters in bulk. Not that the damage really mattered. She renews her rego online.

Also a kind gent sent me a parcel from Western Australia on 29 April. Delivered Gilgandra 4 May. 3 full days and a couple of hours at the beginning and end.

• Informative 1

More agro with AP.

I am waiting for a certified document from my soliciitor. I am advised that it was posted from Mitcham to my address in Vermont last Friday, a distance of about 5 km. As of Wednesday's delivery, it has still not been received. I have just sent AP a scathing complaint, WITH LOTS OF BOLD CAPITALS, saying I could have crawled up to Mitcham and collected it faster than they  deliver it.

Getting totally pee'd off!

• Informative 1

• 4 months later...

So if you have a PO box you can no longer get a delivery to your street address? That sounds like Australia Post.

I have a twenty litre oil drum as my post box and every now and then the postie tells me I have a parcel and have to go to town to collect it and it is small with no restraints on being left. Then the post master tells me he is short of space to store parcels at the post office.

• Informative 1

There has never been street delivery in out town even though we are only 30km from Coffs harbour so everyone has to collect mail from the post office or have a PO box. I have a PO box & they provide it at a bit of a discount, I imagine because they don't have to pay Posties.

What happened to the days when the post was delivered all over the country to the door by intrepid aviators who handed the post to local delivery drivers?

I have to admit, I was spoiled when I first moved here. No bins out on Bin day - the garbos collected the rubbish from the side of the house! Now we are compelled to take the rubbish to the kerb. How indignant!

Still don't have to leave the house to get the mail (not usually welcome as it's mainly bills these days).. my postie reverses 50m up a narrow drive and delivers them through a slit in the front door. No doubt, since Royal Mail was privatised at the worst possible time - when the internet became popular - and the share price has languished (up until this week! - wonder what happened.. should read UK news more, I guess). I can only see that things will not remain quite as cosy as even with the recent rise, at 206p, they are well below their IPO price of 330p.

Sadly, it all comes down to money!

• Informative 1
  • Sad 1

I try not to use AP, but I orderd a small item online from USA, in a cardboard package about 12cm x 4cm x 3cm. I placed the order through an Australian agent 10 days ago, with delivery expected in about 2 weeks. I was surprised to receive a text this morning, saying the parcel would be delivered today, "between 11.25 am and 1.25 pm, and was on time." Sure enough it arrived as promised, surprisingly. I'm assuming it was delivered by the postie on the motorbike, and not a courier, because it was in the letterbox with another envelope. The hinged top of the letterbox was unable to close as the package was just a it too big, and he didn't hop off the bike to bring it to the door. Could have been lifted out of the letterbox by a patio pirate had I not been on the lookout for it.

Jerry, you talk about garbage collection. We have 3 bins. A small one with a red lid for landfill waste, a large one with a yellow lid for recycling, and a large one with a green lid for organic waste including kitchen scraps which can be composted. Some other councils have had a fourth bin for a while, and we are getting one this month, with a purple lid. then we must separate glass and plastic from paper and cardboard recycling. I read about another coucil interstate which is introducing the green lid bin for the first time. They also publicised that there will be a $3,000 fine for smelly bins. The collection trucks have a hydraulic arm which can extend past parked cars to pick up the bins and lift them up to empty into the top of the truck. The driver does not leave the cab. Once the bins are emptied, they are lowered and left on the roadway.

• Like 2

When I first moved here, Aus (well, Melb, so I assume the rest of Aus) had those big wheelie bins and hydraulic lift arms - not sure if they could reach across cars at the time. Everything went into the bin. When I came to the UK, they still had garbos running behind the truck (still do) and running up to the side of the house, where there was a small space for bins, and would carry the bins.

These days, they do have hydaulic arm lift trucks, but in many parts of London, they still don't have wheely bins so foxes (which are protected in London) make an awful mess (there are small crate type containers for recycling).

In our part of the world, we have:

• green wheely binds for general refuse..
  • A large-ish (about the size of a crate) a blue plastic bag (thick and hard wearing) for cans, tinfoil, plastics and aerosols;
  • A green crate for bottles and cardboard milk, fruit, pringles type cardon
  • A brown crate for paper and card (you have to cut large boxes up now, just flattening them is no longer required
  • A brown carry all for kitchen scraps and the like

Complete pain in the proverbial. I am OK as I have enough space to hold all of that, but small terrace houses in town complain like crazy.

• Informative 1

Enough of this garbage talk!

It seems that the National Archives is trying to prop up AustPost. 

I want to examine some files they are holding in Canberra. Three of them haven't been assessed for clearance for public examination. I as able to submit electronic applications to have those examined and available . However, the one set of documents that are already cleared requires an application mailed to the Archive to have them available on the day I want to go there.

I'm hoping that a phone call to them will get the things lines up. Otherwise, it's a 20 k trip into and back to town to buy an envelope and pay over a dollar to send the application on its tortuous journey to Canberra where it won't be processed by the time I get there to examine the one file that is of most importance to me. Making my 500 km trip futile.

• Informative 1