SCAM! SCAM! SCAM!

old man emu

I fell foul of a small scam a few days ago. I went to register a car, typed in renew my rego, tapped first website as it was always the top one. Typed away, hit go, then did not get rego receipt notice. 
Website was Aus vehicle check, took 50c first time to tell me my car is registered, after I went to correct site and done it. Then a few days later doing my MYOB stuff at work, here was Aus Vehicle Check for $1. I had not returned to their site to use it again. I figured they would keep doing this and then maybe go for a big one. My card number of 15 years, fully memorised for use had to be cancelled, and a new one issued to stop them. Now other things I have set up on it are now defaulting. It is a huge pain in the a$$.

beware of doing website forms on autopilot, it could have been way worse, I will now start scrutinising the header better again now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

DAMN AND BLAST!

These website scammers make it hard for honest people to use legit facilities of the Internet. I've just set up a PayPal account for the Arthur Butler Aviation Museum so that entrants in its air rally can pay the entrance fee. How many people will baulk at using it because of fear of being scammed? 

I have arranged things so that people will not find the link to the account unless they have asked for and received by personal email the event information package. Also, the Museum is a legal entity under the Associations Act and it has an ABN. What more can I do to allay people's fears?

• Like 2

There is a tax that the professionals are asking for and the paying public would abide....  it's the sugar tax. This substance causes more harm than anything else, and it is responsible for thousands of deaths a year. The lack of a sugar tax to me is clear evidence of corruption.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 2

If the sugar tax was set at just enough to offset the extra costs ( medical etc ) then that would be a fair tax.

It is not the role of government ( in my opinion ) to act like the nutrition police. But this does not mean that you should not get money back that you are spending on things the public wants.

So the tax on EV's is fair to the extent that their costs are balanced out....  In this regard, trucks have a great deal of subsidy here. On damage to the roads, a truck is worth about a thousand cars. Bridges cost a hundred times more than they would if they were not designed to carry trucks. But then we all like the cheaper goods that subsidized trucks carry around for us.

It is still not fair that city motorists should subsidize country groceries though.

OME, I use paypal all the time and reckon it's fairly safe. Once, I got my money back after merely threatening to complain to paypal. But one time a scammer did indeed pretend to be paypal. They got me by saying I would be charged for goods I had not ordered unless I proved who I was....  yep, it was a phishing scam and they got my bankcard number before I woke up. I should have looked more carefully at the opening page which was from italy! Well it cost me a trip to the bank to get a new credit card, but no money was lost.

Anyway best wishes for your fly-in.

• Informative 2

' sugar tax ' .

Not for me !.

I now take chemical sweetner instead of the ' natural ' sap of that sugar cane plant, 

The old  ( saccharine ) artificial sweetner is a known cancer causing agent !, BUT Better than ' SUGAR ' ?.

They that sell these products will lie , & tell bullsheet , to get you hooked on ' their products ' .

I have cut down on ' sugar ' by sucking chemical sweetners .

P S : saccharine has a new name ' sugarine ' !.

spacesailor

And I thought that ' coke ' was just full of chemicals , like Cocain, artificial flavoring, artificisl sweetner, fluoridated water ,

Then as it's made with ' reticulated town water '  , we're back to anything the " ruling master's " care to test on us !. ( don't tell the yanks  ) . LoL

spacesailor

• Informative 1

On 19/3/2023 at 7:57 PM, spacesailor said:

Yes 

BUT

Here & now it's ' bushfire ' burnoff season '  400 people died without an accident a couple of years ago.

Toxic smoke from deliberate legal  fires .

spacesailor

We saw the alternative to regular hazard reduction burns a few years ago. 
It wasn’t pretty.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Heard about a new scam. When shopping, make sure you get a receipt and check it before leaving the checkout. Particularly if paying by card. It appears that some checkout operators put a cash out on the bill without saying anything, don't give you the change, and pocket the money. If you pay by credit card, the cash advance draws interest as well. Part of the reason I use self checkouts, and don't use credit cards.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 1

Scam maybe?

I recently had a missed call on my phone, apparently from a mobile number. I ignored it, thinking that it was just another robodial scammer. But they left a message, spoken in official sounding Aust gov accent:

"This is an important message from the australian Government. Press 1 for english, press 2 for chinese........"

I tried googling the phone number and the phrase but there seems no indication of either a genuine government announcement, or of a scam.

Any of you guys had a similar phone call?

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, nomadpete said:

Scam maybe?

I recently had a missed call on my phone, apparently from a mobile number. I ignored it, thinking that it was just another robodial scammer. But they left a message, spoken in official sounding Aust gov accent:

"This is an important message from the australian Government. Press 1 for english, press 2 for chinese........"

I tried googling the phone number and the phrase but there seems no indication of either a genuine government announcement, or of a scam.

Any of you guys had a similar phone call?

No government agency would ever say "From the Australian government".  

• Agree 2

I received a call from an unknown number. I usually don't answer these calls, but as I had just pulled the phone out of my bag, I swiped it but they had hung up. I hit redial, but the message said "This number is not connected". Obvious scam.

• Informative 1