SCAM! SCAM! SCAM!

old man emu

I would just love to be able to treat a real govt call as if it was a scam. Alas, they have not yet. I think your response should be to ask them to send you their stuff in writing.

A couple at our ( seniors) gym got a call which claimed to be from the tax dept...  They were told that their last returns had been audited and that they were now on an arrest list.  They had to send $1,700 to get the matter resolved and their names taken off the arrest list.

On their own, they may have been sufficiently afraid to pay. If so, I reckon the tax and the cops have a lot to answer for. They should have told people that they would never behave so badly....  alas they have been deafeningly silent on the matter, at least in the sort of things pensioners might read or see.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Unfortunately some people are gullible and fall for these scams despite repeated warnings that banks, gov't departments etc. will never send such texts or emails. I guess when they are older, they panic. Obviously there enough gullible people to make it worthwhile for the scammers. Even a young sportsman was scammed out of $17,000 I think it was. The stories in the texts are so believable. This one purported to be from the NAB. Don't trust the ones you don't know, and trust the ones you do know even less. Double check everything, and don't use phone numbers, links etc in texts or emails even if they look genuine. Unfortunately it's getting harder to go to a bank branch to check it out, they are closing so many.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Sometimes, scammers have a lucky strike of circumstances of their victims. I once had a run in with the phone company and later that day I got a mobile phone call purporting to be from the phone company to discuss recent issues with my account. Talk about coincidence. By the time I had woken up to it being a scam, I had given enough details for identity theft. So, I ended up paying £20 to the major credit agencies to lock any credit applications without contacting me first and using a specified password. I got three notifications of failed passwords provided within a week.

The major credit agencies are now required by law to provide access to perople of their credit files; and people can subscribe to alerts on their credit file for free. I had an alert a couple of years back and there was an application on my file for a credit account at a popular chain store. I called them immediately to notify them I didn't apply for credit (and I had never set foot in their store - young persons fashion chain). They cancelled the application and removed the entry on the credit file.

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

Some people want something so much that they turn off reality . We see this with religion, and also with romantic scams. I read that 1/3 of the scamees continue to send money even after they have been told that their "lover" is a scammer working out of a big office building in Nigeria.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Legitimate businesses in those countries would have a genuine grievance against the scammers.

…so should strongly support local action to close them down. 

Some nations attract foreign investment because their citzens tend to follow the rules. 
At the other end of the scale: places like Haiti, where eventually the people rise up against the gangsters:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/apr/30/haiti-port-au-prince-violence-gangs-police

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

the people rise up against the gangsters:

You have to congratulate them. The Law comes from the people, and if it takes a "revolution" to overthrow a de facto government that is tyrannical, why not support them. Just as long as the USA keeps out of it.

• Like 2

Strictly speaking the GG is not a politician. Frazer had stopped supply and the army etc was not getting Paid. It was by any measure a real crisis of Frazers creation and HE was prepared to Play Hardball.. He got Kerr to fit in with his plan. IF Whitlam had got wind of it he would have dismissed KERR. That's the origin of KERRS CUR.   Nev

You all seem to forget that Kerr was a Whitlam appointee, with the sole aim of ensuring Kerr would be "on-side" in the event of any Constitutional stoush.

But Kerr turned on Labor when the heat was on, and Whitlam got apoplectic about the "traitor". At the end of the day, Kerr was simply doing his job as referee for the people - he dismissed the Govt of the day, so another election could be called - and Whitlam was beaten at the ballot box by a resounding margin - thus offering public approval of what Kerr did.

This is not to say that Fraser was any better, he was of the Squattocracy, and represented well, all that that "privileged" position entailed - including a lack of empathy for anyone who wasn't rich.

• Like 2

Kerr had an impressive record of ground breaking work in legislation in NSW so his appointment couldn't be criticised from that direction. 

Stopping supply was a bit of a low trick. No one ever thinks about doing it these days. Why would the CIA have NOT been involved in this?  I was sure they were but Whitlam never alluded to it and strangely He and Malcolm Frazer became quite friendly in Later times and Frazer resigned from the liberal party because he disagreed with the way they were doing things. I don't think he was as much of a Toff as he appeared. He was intensely interested in Lancia Cars and often went to  a mates Place in Romsey who worked on them and He rode a Bultaco on his property and treated workers well.  Nev

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Mal Frazer, apart from being a Carlton supporter and being a bit of a knob of a PM, seemed otherwise be a good bloke. His public work after PM was exemplary, and one has to respect an ex-PM who loses his trousers at a dodgy hotel.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1