SCAM! SCAM! SCAM!

old man emu

Well Jerry, once you made me feel mean when I said that the taxman got his money with menaces.

I stand by that....  there are 2 ways to get money... firstly, you can do something nice to people like give them a nice meal. Secondly, you can demand it with menaces. The taxman, along with other bad people, go the second way.

The only mitigating thing for the taxman is that some of the money they get from me is spent in ways that I approve of. I wish I could stop the rest, but alas I can't.

There's a lot of infrastructure to pay for here and big distances to cover.. We also take a lot of what we have for granted ad don't want to pay for it. We are told WE are a rich country but some get an amount each YEAR that is four times the LIFE earnings of others.. It's a different world for them and wouldn't hurt if they kicked in a bit extra. Nev

• Agree 2

THIS is a scam!

The City of Melbourne chief executive is now getting paid more than the Victorian premier.

Justin Hanney will receive a pay rise of up to $20,000, taking his annual wage past $500,000.

The pay increase came into effect in December last year.

Melbourne's Lord Mayor Sally Capp receives $250,000. The Victorian premier Daniel Andrews pockets $452,475.

The Aussie prime minister pockets almost $550,000 a year, placing him fifth among global counterparts, AAP FactCheck has found.

• Informative 1

It's gotta be harder to run a party and government than run a Bank or an Airline. I don't have anything to do with MacQuarie shares in any form. Polies don't have very secure tenure  They tend to lose their Hair and age fast. Their salaries are not that high. I wouldn't want their lifestyle. No privacy and a lot of $#1t put on them. Pretty thankless and I know some do put their all into it. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 15/06/2022 at 2:39 PM, willedoo said:

I do one of two things. Either say nothing and see how long it takes for them to hang up,

I think you are right, Willie. We get lots of calls on our house phone, which is via NBN. If you pick up but don't speak, the call will usually disconnect in 10 seconds. I've had a couple of those calls today. Call disconnected when I didn't speak.

I believe the calls are placed by a robot caller. If it gets a human voice, it will transfer the call to a scam operator, which is why it takes a few seconds to hear them speak. If it doesn't hear a human voice within about 10 seconds, it terminates the call and you get beeps.

If it is a genuine call, the caller will say something, you can identify the caller and respond accordingly if it's someone you know.

Just had another call while typing this post. Thought I'd test them out again. Answered "Hello" straight away. After 10 seconds, a female Indian voice. 

"This is Alicia from the Victorian Energy..."

I cut in, "What's the weather like in Calcutta?"

"Oh.."  Hung up.

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1

Everybody has a weakness, and fear of being scammed is mine. Once I got a call saying how a some oil filters had been charged to me, and if this was not correct, let them know.

Well I was halfway through proving my identity to the scammers before I realized they were phishing for my data.

• Like 1

A few weeks back, I got a couple of texts, a couple of weeks apart, from Iinet (my ISP) telling me that my monthly internet access bill had not been paid and I was to "Click on the link" to sort out the problem.

I looked at the texts and thought, "Naaah, scammers, for sure! Iinet don't send out texts like that, and besides, the account is paid monthly via direct debit from the credit card, so why wouldn't it be paid?"

Next thing, I find our internet connection has been cut off! Did a check via Iinet toolbox from my phone, and I find the connection bill hasn't been paid!  :scratching head:

It turns out we replaced the credit card (because I lost it), and we'd forgotten to change the direct debit, card number! Duh!

• Like 1

One of the reasons I don't do direct debit from a credit card, Bpay only. As I am now pretty much on top of my blls I won't be doing that again either. Direct debits from my transaction account, or pay them myself by Bpay. Then I know what's happening. Only one payment left on a long term personal loan, then all I owe is my credit card. Recurring debts like health insurance, house and contents insurance, mobile phone, etc. by DD from transaction (ATM) account. Gas, electricity and water by moderate fortnightly payments all in credit towards next bill. No bill shock (well, not much). I regularly check my accounts so I know how they are going. Only those accounts that don't do Bpay are made by credit card, and paid off immediately. Credit card is in reduction.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spacesailor said:

Remember when !,

We all were sent that very first ' credi-card '.

My wife & l cutup ours,

And never had one since.

spacesailor

The thing is the economically smart thing to do is to use your credit card and take advantage of the 55 day (in my case) interest free period  if you are economically disciplined there is no down side.  I also take advantage of systems like Afterpay where you buy something with 4 interest free payments. Why would I use money that is earning interest to buy something up front. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I don,t know the answer to " why ",  ( what interest 0.01 % )

But !

Iv,e never had,  (  word for ), det. Hire purchase.

Only 

My mortgage. 

My first car stayed on the lot, untill l had payed for the full price.  With no discounts. 

After that l have always payed cash.

So !.

I,ll never afford a new car, as out of my limited budget. 

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
Spelling

1 hour ago, octave said:

The thing is the economically smart thing to do is to use your credit card and take advantage of the 55 day (in my case) interest free period  if you are economically disciplined there is no down side.  I also take advantage of systems like Afterpay where you buy something with 4 interest free payments. Why would I use money that is earning interest to buy something up front. 

Accruing frequent flyer points also comes in handy at times. Two years worth of credit card purchases and.no air travel adds up to a tidy amount.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got a beauty this morning - a scam text message saying my vehicle registered 1XXX-999 (correct registration) had been towed from a clearway, and I had to call "138 138" (highlighted as a link), to find out more information.

The 138 138 number is a Main Roads W.A. 24 hr Customer Information number used to call to report traffic problems, get breakdown help, report traffic light failures, and anything to do with MRWA-controlled areas.

The problem was, my Hilux with that registration, is sitting in my driveway, and has been all night. But two things are concerning:

1. The SMS came from a phone number that was previously utilised to deliver COVID-19 test results from the State Govt - because I have left previous SMS's from this number on my phone. So the scammers now have access to the exact numbers used in State Govt communications.

2. How did the scammers get my phone number and registration number correct? Someone has broken into a Govt database somewhere, and this is a real concern. I suspect the Dept of Transport W.A. database has been compromised.

I called 138 138 from my phone (not from the link, but from my keypad), and got through to the primary switchboard, where you get the call options - but when I pressed "2" to be connected to the area that handles towed vehicles, I got a short sharp message saying, the "voicemail for this extension has been suspended".

So it looks like MRWA is under call overload from people inquiring as a result of the scam.

I Googled for this scam and found that NSW Roads and Maritime services SMS numbers have been used to promote a survey scam - and I also found that scammers have been sending SMS's advising people their (W.A.) driving licence has been suspended for accumulated demerit points.

But neither of these above scams show any ability to link a vehicle registration to the vehicle owners phone number, that's a whole new level of scam ability.

https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/aboutus/37546_46164.asp

Edited by onetrack
  • Informative 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Governments, both State and Federal really should make an effort to divert some of the money they spend on self-promotion and establish an Information Branch that pesters the media to make public service warning announcements about each new scam that imply government involvement.

We already have that on announcements and advertising for elections. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

OME, we do have the ACCC operated "Scamwatch", which warns of scams. As with every type of information supplier, they do have a limited budget on how they advertise and warn of scams - and of course, trying to keep up with the latest scam, is like trying to catch fast pesky bugs on the wing by hand.

You can report scams to the ACCC via Scamwatch, but they require a myriad of details, including all your personal information, which they then ask if they can supply those personal details to both Govt and private agencies, as part of scam-gathering and scam-fighting information.

Perhaps the weakest link there is the ACCC is likely to give your personal information to a private agency, that has already had its systems hacked! :classic_unsure:

https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Confused 1

Simply treat every call/text/email/message as suspect, even if you think you know from whom it came. I received a facebook message puporting to be from a FB friend, who had been on my staff at one of my jobs. Bells rang, red flags waved, so I asked a question only she would know the answer to. Heard nothing further. Two friends have been caught in the scam "we owe you a refund." Had to get their phones and PC's decontaminated.

Still asking unknown callers "What's the weather like in Kolcatta?" They drop the phone like a hot potato. Works every time. My brother used it too.

If a person takes steps to carry out a crime (more than simply thinking about doing it), but does not succeed, then they can be charged with "Attempt". We often hear of people being charged with "Attempt Murder". Why then, if a person goes through the motions to scam people, why can't they be charged with "Attempt to gain benefit by Deception?" Obviously the reason why Indian scammers can't be charged is that there is no agreement between India and Australia for this to happen. Ironically, the actual locations of the buildings where these Indian scammers work from is public knowledge. Obviously Indian Law Enforcement is skimming the scammers.

• Like 2

On 21/06/2022 at 7:00 PM, octave said:

Why would I use money that is earning interest to buy something up front. 

I was talking to a guy at the Men's Shed yesterday. He said he uses a credit card to buy gift cards from one store at 10% discount, then uses them to buy gift cards at another store at 10% discount (don't ask me where). He pays off the credit card within the interest free period, and buys his groceries etc. with the second gift cards. Says he saved $6,000 last year.

• Informative 3