SCAM! SCAM! SCAM!

old man emu

19 hours ago, onetrack said:

I would not be in the least bit surprised to find Pickles accounting system is being run from India. The regular excuse I got when I was trying to pin down the problem, was, "Oh, we've got a new computer system, and everything is centralised on the East Coast, so that makes it harder". I call BS on that, it's simply that Pickles management is outright incompetent.

They might be telling the truth - India has an east coast.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Incredibly, despite all the apologies and promises from Pickles to correct all the problems, the two fraudulent CC charges of $1100 are still on my credit card tonight. That now makes 6 days since they first appeared.

I know CC payments only get processed overnight, Monday nights to Friday nights - but I would have expected Pickles to reverse the fraudulent charges yesterday, and they would have showed as credits this morning.

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

Go see a Policeman  !.

I had problems with a big bank. No help at all , from their staff .

SO .  I head over to the police station ,  stated my case as a ' fraud or theft. 

The police rang the banks head office , AND while still at the police station,  I received a phone call , to head back to my branch for an apology plus refund . I also asked for interest on my missing funds ,

Which was happily agreed too.

spacesailor

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

• 3 weeks later...

Some scams are hard to pick because they mimic the real organisations logos etc very well.

1883110384_scamemail.thumb.jpg.9f9f78bd4c5a70afda6a340414a9b519.jpg

However, when you place your cursor over the link, the url is definitely not the genuine article.

464668996_scamurl.thumb.jpg.706fa887d8d2ee3578cb733492df7376.jpg

The worst one I have seen was shown on Facebook. Unfortunately I didn't take a screenshot so cannot post it. The Twitter account name was something like Ranjit, and the message was basically

"I am IRS. You owe (amount had been blacked out). Pay by Walmart gift card or you will go jail."

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Received a call this afternoon.

"This is an automated message. Your account will be debited $880. To cancel, press 1."

I hung up. The caller ID showed the originating number was from Neetze, Lower Tuscany, Germany. A quick check on the internet confirmed the country and area code as Neetze. Their 'automated call' probably dialed a string of random numbers and got mine. I have never done ANY foreign transactions, let alone Germany.  Still, I will keep a close watch on my accounts, as I do every day.

• Sad 1

I was living ocerseas one year & the wife had a tax manager put in our tax forms.

but

They put my bank interest onto HER income , as it was so low,  

The tax office promply took ALL the that bank account , as if they were highway robber .

Then fined me $250 for not lodging my tax.

All the money taken was less than the minimum for paying tax .

If they had NOT done the dirty ! , I would have been paying thousands in tax . ( an inheritance )

The following year BUT I gave it all away , to denie them one cent .

spacesailor

• Informative 1

• 1 month later...

Gets down to an opinion. Only the rich can afford electric at this point in time and many have to keep an old car on the road or have none. The roads still have to be repaired. Those who use them should Pay for them. There'll be howls of "unfair" whenever you do it. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Requires a urgent rejig of the tax system. I believe not all of fuel taxes goes to the roads. It was unfair to use fuel usage as a defacto top up of general revenue, and there is, indeed a need for ALL road users to pay their fair share for the infrastructure.

• Agree 2

54 minutes ago, nomadpete said:

It was unfair to use fuel usage as a defacto top up of general revenue, and there is, indeed a need for ALL road users to pay their fair share for the infrastructure.

I generally agree with this, except, the taxes should also go to cleaning up the mess ICE in particular, but all vehicles in general make. So, accordijng to JC, early deaths caused by toxic fumes are greater than road fatalities. Given people suffering will be drawing more on the public health system, costing the public purse more, then

8 hours ago, facthunter said:

Those who use them should Pay for them.

That is the point and why the Vic charge is a scam. The states no longer levy fuel in Aus; the amount of petrol + diesel sold has not changed (there has been a shift from petrol towards diesel - itself a further issue because of the nitrogen oxides sewed out despite DPFs). So, Vic cannot be losing revenue as a result - it doesn't raise any. And, even if it did  raise revenue from fuel taxes, the flow of fuel from the pumps has not slowed.

So, it slaps a per km charge on EVs.. EVs are paying more than their fair share, because, when you combine the increased GST and other taxes they pay, it sort of equals out for a few years - the average length of time of ownserhip of a car. OK if the Vic government want to do it, but come clean rather than hide under a "!ost revenue" argument. Therefore, it equals, SCAM.

And the enfroceability of it is woeful. Why not just work oput the average kms per year multiply by the rate and add it to the rego?

Noticed this morning, in The Age, that there is an article that Vics are avoiding EVs, also because of inherent lack of infrastructure. Shame some of the $Bns put into elevating trains wasn't put into a future with a vision.

• Informative 1