SCAM! SCAM! SCAM!

old man emu

It's virtually impossible to electrocute anyone because RCD's are fitted to every meter box (or should be). But I guess you could always bypass the RCD's if you were determined enough.

Bottom line is, in Australia, it's illegal, and a serious chargeable offence, to set mantraps - and that includes any device designed to injure a person.

I just prefer to read about copper thieves getting their come-uppance by electrocuting themselves whilst trying to steal copper wiring.

• Like 2

My house of 42 years ' Hasn't ' got any trip ( RCD'S) fuses .

And I replaced the old wire fuses with contact breakers. 

spacesailor

PS : my boats were never put on the NSW boat register.

Another , Bureaucratic job for the next owner . 

Edited by spacesailor
A little more !
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, spacesailor said:

Imagine , the FOOL who persuaded the boaties to put an 

' Alluminium Label ' , to the hull of a boat sitting in ' Salt ' water .

( had to be a BUREAUCRAT ).

spacesailor

Given almost all are alloy hulled tinnies, it is not a problem.

A steel boat is normally only found in commercial big stuff or some yachts in which case some expoxy primer including the rivet holes is needed.

I know it's a pain but sure helps prove you own the tinny esp if the spare plate is well hidden.

Locally it cost $120 a year to park a tinny/ kayak/ row boat in the council on shore storage racks. No sticker and they can legally take and destroy/ sell your boat. The council controls everything above Highwater mark. This provides no proof of ownership.

But a plated boat ie my 13 ft Titanic only cost $45 year for full rego and I can legally park anywhere on water or shoreline/boat dock. The boat is plate is forever after a $80 fee. It is heaps cheaper to do full rego and is far better than

an a local council sticker.

It's the stickered ones that get stolen not the plated ones. Sure a tiny motor means no rego or licensed but a faster motor and rego is cheaper and my boat and motor are registered nationally and easy to trace for theft.

It is paperwork but the cheapest and safest way to go.

Come a big storm when boats go missing, I know mine will come back, the water police, Maritime and rescue boats all know it's mine. 

Actually if mine goes missing they will go look for it. They only have to check the rego or hull plate and bingo, they call my mobile.

No plate and I would have no chance of getting it back, no ability to prove ownership. Really the hull plate is the cheapest, best investment you will ever make.

My larger vessel, registered internationally as a "ship" also has two of the plates, not ideal as one is riveted to my teak wheel station but not a big deal in the scheme of things.

If your worried about the alloy plate and corrosion, it's the least of your worries.

PS Nev I don't think it's you that need the pills.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 1

First thing this morning I got a text saying there had been a suspicious transaction on my bank account, and it had been frozen. Gave the web address https://combanks.us/auo  -  obviously crook.

Then I got an email supposedly from Australia Post, quoting a tracking no. and saying I have to pay a delivery fee. Tracking number was invalid according to AP tracking. Deleted it.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

I'm glad the likes of Telstra are getting on top of scam texts - I don't know about the other Telcos, but my phone (I'm with Boost, a subsidiary of Telstra) picks up scam messages, and blocks them and marks them as spam. I don't even see them unless I go through my message history.

I got one this morning with a text reading, "My.Gov: Please update your account with new documents in time to receive the $2380 refund. For details, click https://mokzson.website".

I don't know what kind of idiots would click on this type of obvious scam message, but I guess they work on trapping the gullible and the outright stupid.

It probably works a treat on every Trump supporter.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1

Why can't they take the "administration fee" out of the main payment?

Haveing said this, when I collected my paper today, I paid with a card and was told that there was a 50 cent fee on all sub-$20 transactions. Now I have to tell the paper that I am giving them up.

Surely this is evidence that cash will not be phased out? Mind you, I am so old that I remember the promise that this would never happen when they introduced the bankcard of yesteryear.

• Sad 1

Well it sure sucked me in.....  I guess I'm a sucker huh? I actually believed it when they said that the GST would reduce my tax bill!  Hewson was there saying GST stood for "Goodbye Seven Taxes ". A guy I knew was more realistic....  "nahhh", said he, "it will turn out to be just another tax"

• Like 1

With banks phasing out cheques, and reports of a surcharge to use cash, they should scrap the transaction charge to traders for using cards. Most lotto sales agencies charge 15% on small card purchases, eg. less than $15.00. If payments over the counter are being limited to card payments, why should they be able to charge extra? I guess that the bank charges exceed the small profit the trader makes on the purchase. With the obscene profits made by banks, the government should outlaw them from holding customers to ransom. Almost all of my bills are paid by Bpay or direct debit,and 98% of over counter transactions by eftpos. 

• Informative 1

6 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Does anybody remember what the seven taxes were? I think that land tax was one.

Sales tax was one. The States were supposed to abolish stamp duty, but after the GST was introduced they cried poor and kept stamp duties.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The seven taxes? I can't find what was actually specified. The tax was introduced by the Howard government  replacing the previous federal wholesale sales tax system and designed to phase out a number of various State and Territory Government taxes, duties and levies such as banking taxes and stamp duty. Rather mysterious. Little Johnny dancing the Dance of the Seven Veils, symbolising  the act of revealing truths, layer by layer. Each veil removed invites the audience deeper into the tax's intrigue.

• Like 1

One odd thing about the GST is how they apply the tax to duties and levies. Constitutionally, they can't tax a tax, but they can legally tax levies and duties. If you import something and pay $100 customs duty, they will then charge you another $10 GST on the duty. Maybe it's the same for fuel and alcohol excise, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

It's funny how they consider taking money from you to be a service. They take money from you, consider they're doing you a service by doing so, then charge you more for doing it. That's one hell of a service.

• Like 3