How are you filling in your day in lockdown?

red750

My day seems to be the same as it has been for a few years. Keep away from other people, do a bit of work around the place and keep busy. Today I dropped a gum tree about 400mm diameter, chopped off enough to make timber to do a repair job to the shed and turned the rest into firewood. Then I had to fix the foot valve on the pump by the dam, so we can water the veggies. Another day done.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, old man emu said:

Hey Red, he's nicked off. I got a 404 error.

That's happening a bit lately. I got the same on BennyBoy's photos in RF.  Try again.

Edit: Actually, the image showed on your post, in the quote.

1723299252_homeoffice.thumb.JPG.6afeafd3e2efe2b148d0a1606325c157.JPG

Our Men's Shed Co-ordinator wants to set up a Zoom conference, many other sheds already have. You have no doubt seen Zoom on a few TV shows, where a number of people can chat from t heir home through their PC or laptop. The screen is divided into a dozen or so small windows with a person in each so you can chat with a large number of participants.

1890775633_zoommeeting.thumb.jpg.f38f09b3ca88e781d8ced50cfcc7fe3f.jpg

Took my BMW R65 for a ride in the morning for an hour. Fortunately we need to go into town for supplies. Then I took my wife's highway scooter for a ride In the afternoon and got drenched in a heavy rain shower. The leg shields and windshield do not help much. I had a face mask on when I put on the helmet and when I pulled it off both of my ears were pulled forward and stuck that way under the helmet.  Most uncomfortable, but I was already riding when I realised.

I pulled out some sick-looking Boxus hedge plants and replanted them in a smaller bed. Then I did some weeding. Finished the restoration of a wooden block plane and rearranged the bench grinder and drill press on my workbench.

The new speedometer for my bike arrived from the USA, but I'm waiting on a new regulator to arrive before I start on the bike. I will even have another go ate fitting turn indicators to it. I have to figure out the wiring for that circuit.

If this COVID thing doesn't end soon, the only thing I'll have on the To Do list is change the timer setting on the garden path lights as sunset gets later and later.

What lockdown? What face masks? :cheezy grin: I live in the COVID-19-free state of W.A., where 95% of life is back to normal. The only thing you'd notice here is the lack of international tourists and backpackers, and the general quietness of the airports, and a few cafes and restaurants shut. The roads are clogged with traffic, business in general is thriving, mining activity is unprecedented.

A bloke I spoke to yesterday said he has a mate with an underground drilling business. He's just ordered 6 new drilling rigs at a million dollars a rig, he's got a big contract for underground drilling on the Superpit in Kalgoorlie. 

They are doing a massive cutback on the East wall of the Superpit and going down to 2000 metres depth with underground mechanised mining, accessed from portals in the bottom of the pit.

There's still tens of billions of high grade gold in the lower reaches of the Superpit - and the more drilling they do, the more they find, it just keeps going. Gold is close to AUD$3000 an oz, and the gold industry is just going crazy.

Every time I head on the country highways, the roads are full of people with camping gear and metal detectors, all hoping to find that huge nugget.

The good news is, for the first time in 31 years, the two owners of the Superpit are Australian gold miners - Northern Star Resources and Saracen Mineral Holdings.

Formerly, the Superpit was owned by Newmont Goldcorp (American) and Barrick Gold (Canadian), who traded as KCGM (Kalgoorlie Consolidated Gold Mines).

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-18/super-pit-gold-mine-to-continue-operating-until-at-least-2035/12568876

http://www.superpit.com.au/about/history/

Edited by onetrack
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, old man emu said:

And how much of that money gained from the land our forebears fought to preserve is coming back into the pockets of their descendants?

Sorry can't help you there. Corruption & greed is all that reigns in this country!

The Fosterville mine was Australian owned. Then in In February 2008 Canadian corporation Northgate Minerals made a successful $282 million bid to acquire the Stawell and Fosterville gold mines. A series of mergers and acquisitions then saw ownership pass quickly through AuRico Gold Inc., Crocodile Gold Corp. and Newmarket Gold Inc. to Kirkland Lake Gold Ltd in 2016. All were Canadian companies. How did it happen? Anyone could have bought the mines in 2008, there were plenty of Australian companies who could have done so, but the Canadians were smart enough to see the opportunity. We can't really complain.

I went to a book launch yesterday evening. The history of the SES in Gladsrone region. About 60 people I suppose in one big room in the pub.

I was looking forward to meeting, to see a few old faces, but I hadn't realised I was tho only one there from the original startup of SES in Qld. The rest of us seem to have dropped of the perch. It was a good evening, quite a few faces from more recent years and I even got up and made a little speech, Twice as long as the last one which I made as chairman, when we opened the headquarters building. It was about 3 minutes.

• Like 1

A break in the WX means I've been adding pollution to our atmosphere👍

A daily walk, some gardening & catching up on chores that have been let go for too long.

Still very quiet up there, am getting used to seeing just eagles and other various winged wildlife sharing the airspace & not caring about the crazy lockdown😉

Edited by Subria

Sounds great.. Be careful not to smack into one of the birds you are enjoying the airspace with.

Although flying is allowed here, my wings are clipped until work recovers.. though a couple of baited lines have the reel dragging, so hopefully not too long, now.

Other than that, have been progressively clearing what has become a forest in the back garden, been studying to catch up on quals, and have now started running with the boy!

Plenty to occupy me during lockdown.  I am doing my part time teaching online, all the usual joys and frustrations  but without the travel or need to wear trousers.     Apart from that we have been making a new push on finishing our renovations.   Also instead of just teaching others I have embarked on some music making just for myself, some multitrack recording (aka playing with oneself) Plenty of reading and podcast listening. Covid coffee morning where we get together on Zoom with my wifes brother and his wife who live interstate. My bro in law and myself are coffee nerds so we fire up our machines make some coffee and chat.   Cant work out why it took a pandemic to initiate this but it will continue long after covid has been beaten. Daily long walk. Upgrading my IT. Pleasuring Mrs Octave.  There is always plenty to occupy me.

Edited by octave
  • Like 1

Doing a fair bit of research for the Showcase - locating and editing photos, coming across things like the Hustler (Guess this Plane). It's so damned cold here in Melbourne, and not being allowed to leave my property, sometimes all you can do is climb back under the covers. Our ducted heating broke down 2 years ago and I don't have the money to get it fixed. With my son working from home, I can't sit in the family room staring at the wall. I dug out an old cassette /radio which I'm sure hasn't been used for over 5 years. I opened the battery case and there were 4 C cells in it. Flipped the switch and it started playing, believe it or not. So I can lay in bed ( for a short period to get warm) and listen to the radio on the headphones so I don't disturb my son taking customer calls. I get up to cook the meals. The missus is on the settee in the lounge under 3 or 4 blankets watching her televivion - couldn't bear to sit and watch the rubbish she watches.Take the dog out to the back yard for a whizz every couple of hours if it's not raining.

Was reading about the Gulfstream bizjet and the list of famous people who own the G650, until recently the biggest. Now the G700 has been flown and is ultra luxurious. 

My son doesn't drink either. I take credit because in his late teens i paid him $1000 a year to not start. He says that it was not the money but the bad example I gave him by drinking myself. His sister says I ruined his social life.

Once we were stopped in Alice Springs for a random breath test, my son was driving and blew zero. I asked if i could blow and he let me and to my surprise he said it went over.

But he couldn't say by how much because the beat cops only had a "yes/no" reading .

Edited by Bruce Tuncks