How are you filling in your day in lockdown?

red750

10 hours ago, Marty_d said:

The way to a man's heart... 

...is straight between the 3rd and 4th ribs, according to my wife.

I find that husbands who have a wife that's been to med school are often very caring.

Or at least very very careful

I sometimes understand why mussos don't want their women to be educated.

Edited by nomadpete

13 hours ago, onetrack said:

What is lockdown? Now I'm skiting - from COVID-19 free W.A.

Same here, only worn a mask to enter an airport once  and not been any form of lock down where I live and the rest of Tas only had the NW locked down for a few weeks, then no need.

• Informative 1

Just finished reading thru an interesting outcome regarding what I would call human rights abuse! If you want to fill in your day due lockdown or for other reason/s search "Jennifer Kimber V Sapphire Coast Community aged care.

Lots of lawyer jargon but we are entering very dangerous times!!

Edited by Fliteright

13 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

Hope you don't have life insurance, Marty!

Nope.  Although she does scan the superannuation statement every year to find out what I'm worth dead.  Apparently it's not enough... yet...

(Just in case anyone is getting worried, it's ok, she's not the murderous type!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fliteright said:

Jennifer Kimber V Sapphire Coast Community aged care.

The crux of this matter was not so much the vaccination itself, but the information Ms Kimber provided to her GP in order for the GP to form an opinion as to whether having a 'flu injection would result in her body reacting adversely to it.

Ms Kimber informed her employer she was unwilling to have an influenza vaccination because she had suffered a 10-month rash when she had the vaccination in 2016. Accordingly, she suggested the vaccination was medically-contra indicated; and hence she was exempted from the PHO (Public Health Order).

Adopting a conventional approach, the employer sought medical support in relation to the claimed exemption. Ms Kimber first provided a letter from (a non-medically trained) Chinese medicine practitioner. When that was rejected by her employer as insufficient, Ms Kimber provided a letter from a GP, which recited that Ms Kimber “told” the GP about the rash, attached some undated photographs of said rash, but did not otherwise provide any medical diagnosis of medical contra-indication supporting the exemption.

The majority of the Full Bench found that, in the circumstances, the vaccination direction was both lawful and reasonable, and the employee’s refusal to be vaccinated rendered her unable to perform the inherent requirement of the role. The decision at first instance was that her dismissal was for a valid reason, and not otherwise harsh.

The evidence in the matter raised these points:

However there was virtually no detail given by Ms Kimber about “a severe allergic reaction” to the influenza vaccination; for example,

1. She did not say how long after the vaccination the condition began, she did not explain why she thought it was an allergic reaction to the vaccination, and she did not explain which “internal organs” were affected or why she thought this was the case;

2. Ms Kimber did not give evidence that she ever sought medical treatment for this alleged condition, and there was no separate evidence of any contemporaneous examination or diagnosis by a medical practitioner;

3. She never took any time off work because of this condition;

4. She never informed anyone in Sapphire’s management at the time that she considered that she had suffered an adverse reaction to the influenza vaccination which they had caused to be administered.

Now who's doing a beat up?

• Like 2

Imagine the ramifications if one of these cases actually wins, that would set a very dangerous precedence (in the eyes of those that want to remove peoples rights),our grubby corrupt judicial system would be flooded, they wont let that happen in a nation where discrimination is now running rife!

Edited by Fliteright
  • Agree 1

But

Being a drunk  ( alcoholic  ), Will get you a pension  (  diability support ) .

Iv,e seen it first hand, when applying for the same pension.

And 

A drunk falls into the gutter, gets a leg or arm broken,  they gets a lump sum in compansation. 

It sucks, they smoke, drink and gamble, then complain about the poor pension amount.

spacesailor

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

Being a drunk  ( alcoholic  ), Will get you a pension  (  diability support ) .

You can't get a disability pension for chronic alcoholism, but you may be able to get a pension for the associated health problems.

48 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

A drunk falls into the gutter, gets a leg or arm broken,  they gets a lump sum in compansation. 

Think you'll find they get free medical treatment and the chance to dry out, there is no lump sum payout unless it can be proven the accident was caused by someone else.

50 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

It sucks, they smoke, drink and gamble, then complain about the poor pension amount.

Have heard those complaints frequently, coming from women who on pension day, buy their fortnight supply of ciggies, head to the pub and spend the rest on grog and alcohol. Then head to the local welfare place to get vouchers to buy cheap junk food for the family.

As for real pensioners smoking drinking and gambling their pensions, That's their right and there are few who can afford to do that, they have pretty strict regimes when it come to those pursuits from what I've seen over the decades of pouring beer. Most come in pension day and spend the same amount each time, then you don't see them until the next time, or they come in to meet someone or have a day before pension day lunch, which includes cheap drinks.

As others have said, the pension is to low, it should be at least the minimum wage, service personal should get more and active service personal should get much more. Politicians should get SFA and stripped of all their assets, to pay for the billions they waste or give away to vested interests.

• Like 2

I would hate to be on the age pension and still paying rent or paying off a house, especially when anything to do with real estate is going through the roof.

My parents were on the pension for years, and although they didn't smoke or drink, dad would fall for any sales talk and buy stuff they didn't need.  Despite this, they managed to save for a couple of overseas trips, buy presents for their myriad grandkids and paid the bills.  Mainly because their house was fully paid off.  

My father in law was much the same - he had his house and simple needs, he did go through a pouch or two of tobacco a week and a few beers at the RSL, but he said that when he switched to vaping he had more money than he knew what to do with.

I'm not silly enough to think that these two examples are representative of the broader population, especially people who live in places that are far more expensive to live in than the various backwaters of Tassie.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marty_d said:

I would hate to be on the age pension and still paying rent or paying off a house…

I totally agree, Marty.  My parents owned their house in town and kept the backyard full of vegies and chooks.  A lifetime of frugal living on the farm left them unprepared for the extra cash arriving each fortnight. As a result, going onto the aged pension left them prosperous. 

My dad started buying workshop tools he’d always done without and they made quite a few trips, even staying in motels! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pmccarthy said:

…On line connections have become important. If I send an email and don't get a reply, it upsets me as there is no other contact with people.

I totally empathise, PM. Ian’s forums have kept me sane (I think…)

I’m nearing the end of a 14-day self-quarantine and that’s been hard enough, even for an old hermit like me. Can’t imagine how I’d cope with the many months of disruption suffered by you people. 

I am going through old work diaries, typing out summaries so I can throw the old diaries out without losing too much history. I am finding dates of family events that I can now tie back to old photographs. But this upsets me too, as it tells of a time that life was so different.

Cheer up PM, you’re doing good work: contributing to your family history, which your kids or grandies will be very grateful for. So many people can’t get this sort of info because letters or diaries were not kept. I tried to keep a record of emails from our kid but they’re lost in a box of obsolete computer stuff.

• Agree 1

Back to filling my day in lockdown. The weather here in Victoria is really getting us down. I don't know if it is the longest, coldest, wettest winter ever, but it feels like it. I guess partly because we usually get away for at least a couple of weeks in the middle, but being resticted to country Victoria there is little point. Just a couple of years ago we had a heatwave in September, nothing like that now. So I think many people are now quite depressed and have lost interest in life. I have lots of projects waiting in the shed but i stay inside by the wood fire until 10am, reading or watching stupid Youtube videos. Then maybe try to achieve something but am easily put off. I dismantled something yesterday and ordered a part on line and now will have to wait a week or two before I can put it back together. I can hardly face the shed and don't want to start another job. The wind is howling, nothing can be done in the yard. On line connections have become important. If I send an email and don't get a reply, it upsets me as there is no other contact with people. I am going through old work diaries, typing out summaries so I can throw the old diaries out without losing too much history. I am finding dates of family events that I can now tie back to old photographs. But this upsets me too, as it tells of a time that life was so different.

Bloody wet here too.  We have a half finished excavation job behind our house which was abandoned in May because it was too wet.  Driver told us we need a solid week without rain before he can come back.  Guess what - we haven't had one yet!

4 hours ago, Marty_d said:

Bloody wet here too.

I'm lucky, the top part of my place where they houses etc are, is a bit sandy no matter how much it rains it never gets muddy. But at our main gate, where I've filled the gully in and the area surrounding it, which is all clay and soil, has become a quagmire. We've had a lot of rain this year, much more than last year and we have also been experiencing wetter summers over the last 3 years. I keep a weather record from 4 different spots on the property, it's interesting to see how weather effects different environment areas and how it has changed over the last 20+ years.

To keep from going troppo, cut wood just about every day instead of when we are travelling, cut the entire years wood a couple of weeks before we leave. Today decided to cut down a tree near our gate, normally this is a straight forward job and 9 out of 10 times it drops where it's supposed to.

Today no wind this morning, sunny, warm and almost out of wood after 4 days of almost non stop rain, decided to drop a tree near the main gate. Because there is a lot of water sodden soil around it, decided to drop it in a position so wouldn't be cutting and carrying in mud. Made my cuts, the wedge dropped out, cut down the other side and as it was getting really close to the cutout, watching the saw gap for it to open. But it wasn't moving, gave it  push, but to big and solid to push and couldn't cut anymore as it would drop into the saw blade and could fall in any direction.  

So moved the tractor to a really safe place and headed back for the big guns, started to backhoe and it had a flat front tyre, pumped it up and headed to the tree. Lifted the loader bucket up and slowly moved towards, got about 1m away and before could push it, it fell exactly where I had planned.

Lesson in this, don't use a 16inch chainsaw to cut down an over 1m diameter tree, it can be done but you have to be so accurate. Should have used the 21inch husky, that would have got it easily. The most scary part of cutting trees, is the couple of seconds from when it starts to move, to when the direction of fall is determined. If you cut it right it will never fall back on you, unless you grossly underestimate where the distribution of branch weight is, you use that to your advantage.

• Like 4