How are you filling in your day in lockdown?

red750

I must agree, this has been a long wet Winter, even here in W.A. Spring just doesn't seem to want to burst out, the cold is lingering, and the rain is keeping up. As with others, we didn't get away this Winter - nor last Winter, as well. We normally head North for a month in Winter - Darwin or Broome, or Cairns.

This year, we made plans and bookings to go direct to Cairns in late August for about 10 days, then down to the Gold Coast to see the wifes sons family and grandson, then back home.

But within a couple of weeks of booking everything, COVID-19 exploded again in QLD - so we cancelled everything, and stayed home, and endured more cold and rain - and ended up with $1800 in travel credit stuck in Virgins Travel Bank.

We were going to head to the Northern Wheatbelt for a few days, to check out the outstanding wildflower season - but we can't even seem to get that organised. It always seems something blocks us, anytime we try to get away.

The stepdaughters boyfriend had his Falcon wagon nearly written off by a driver who turned in front of him in late August - and he's ended up in constant pain and unable to do much physical work.

So I lent him a spare Hilux of mine, so he could keep mobile and rebuild the Falcon (which he decided to do, after he got a $4000 payout from the crash drivers insurance company, and got the wreck for $100) - but he's been unable to repair it because of his constant pain. The docs don't seem to be much use, one even told him his dislocated collarbone from the crash, was "an old injury"! 

I've got a swag of repair jobs that I can't seem to progress, because of rain and cold, and interference from other requirements taking up my time. I'm really looking forward to longer days and warm weather, I really hate cold and wet weather.

The upside is, that today we ordered a new 6.6Kw solar system, because our 10 yr contract for the W.A. Govts generous 40c feed-in tariff, ended last June - and our current 1.5Kw system is barely making a dent in our (increased charges) power bill. 

The downside of course, is that we're now $5000 poorer - but it's money we had in the holiday account - so at least we don't have to finance it, or struggle to find it, or put it on a credit card!

Hopefully, the outlay will be recovered within about 3.5-4 years, and from then on, we'll be laughing.

When we installed the 1.5Kw system in 2011, it cost us $4000 then - but we recovered the outlay within 3.5 years, and the other 6.5 years during the contract duration, were years of only tiny power bills.

• Like 2

Good to see rampant OH&S regulations alive and well in old Blighty. The mining industry OH&S managers would be using that clip to show everything you MUST not do, at height!

Nary a hard hat in sight, not a single safety item I could recognise anywhere on the job site. It's like a clip out of an early 1800's jobsite. Just watching him climb the chimney gave me the heebie-jeebies.

And the struggle to climb off the ladder, and over the planking at the top, was just unbelievable!  :freaked:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I have recently been using my time in lockdown to digitize all of my photos.    One of the benefits is that it has made me look at photos I have not seen for years.  This picture was my first ever flying lesson in 1989 I think.   The confronting thing is that the fit young man in this picture bears  little resemblance to the decaying human wreck I see in the mirror these days!

817417512_grahamthrusterlesson.thumb.jpg.8a5718e124f01f72e8cba5e53e65a06f.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, old man emu said:

I finished rearranging my garage today.

This is what I started with:

1288312281_P7264691(Medium).thumb.JPG.242c1f7c8470feff7d057df3ec8fd617.JPG230991357_P7264692(Medium).thumb.JPG.f7fd6af6b6bc5c7c1c212b37b9b14248.JPG  

And this is what it is like now

1270812600_PA125019(Medium).thumb.JPG.878cc64313bfc1e3e0198d1052c631d2.JPG693598389_PA125018(Medium).thumb.JPG.e83c4358268a41f5a7f1ac9d9f3fdb03.JPG

I don't even have to move my bike to get room to work

52100272_PA125021(Medium).thumb.JPG.f184af014d7d4ceea9b58c644fe63e25.JPG203986019_PA125022(Medium).thumb.JPG.70a537eb6bf2fdcdc7d5eaeedbc4fece.JPG  

Thinking of coming down to Tassie any time soon?  I've got a shed that needs your attention.

5 hours ago, nomadpete said:

Why would you want to take a mask?

Thanks to effective controls and widespread vaccination, (So far), there is no lockdown in Tassie and a mask is only required when walking through the airport.

I think he was making a Tasmanian joke, you know, the old inbred two heads thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 1

9 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

Climate refugees? So has there been a measurable change in climate? Tassie has always had a better climate than the mainlanders gave it credit for.

Let's not start that again.

There HAS been a measurable change in population in Tasmania, due to humans relocating from the mainland.

Regardless of the cause, even the fish are feeling warmer down Tassie way. We're now getting climate refugee fish relocating here from up north, and they are decimating the big kelp forests.

Edited by nomadpete
spellcheek
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

We're certainly feeling the impacts in housing prices.  A friend of ours is going through divorce and looking for a home of her own.  Yesterday she looked at a 2 bedroom fibro cottage in Huonville - probably worth under $200,000 a couple of years back, now they're after offers over $500,000.

So no... the weather is shit, the prices are expensive, the forests are all cut down and there's no fish in the ocean.  So there's absolutely no need for any mainlanders to come here!

(Special exemption for OME, if he cleans my shed.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Winner 1