How are you filling in your day in lockdown?

red750

Well, we decided to go camping to Somerset for the long weekend. Packed the tent, BBQ and a few provisions. Tent was up in no time (for a change - no wind and glorious 24 degree day). Not many other campers where we are which is a nice change (60m people in an island and a half about 1/4 the size of Vic can get crowded)... Had a few people walk past while exercising their dogs give us a curious look, but we thought, what the heck? Despite the lockdown, we will take our chances and enjoy the relatively rare fantastic weather we are having. Hey, we even waved to some of the passers by, because.. can you believe it - we knew a couple of them and they don't live too far from us.. Blimey, it is a small world! Can't fly, so may as well do something...

Once the tent was up, we decided it was time for a gin and tonic... So a quick walk from our front garden/yard to the kitchen and voilla! Premium G&T for the missus and I...

We will sleep in the tent tomorrow night... [Edit] I'll post a coupl of pics tomorrow - of our tent in the front yard - not the missus and I sleeping together in it... Want you to keep your breakfast down...

• Like 1

Sodium Metabisulphate is used to sterilise wine corks (when we had them.) The SO2 forms sulphuric acid with moisture so It's going to keep rusting. That's the reasonfor letting some wines breathe before you consume. I think it's 202 on the label of additives. Caustic Soda NaOH with a small electric current works ok. Stop! NO! Not in the wine. For your rusty stuff including engine blocks and get the polarity correct. Look it up. I've forgotten which way it goes. Nev

Well, we decided to go camping to Somerset for the long weekend. Packed the tent, BBQ and a few provisions. Tent was up in no time (for a change - no wind and glorious 24 degree day). Not many other campers where we are which is a nice change (60m people in an island and a half about 1/4 the size of Vic can get crowded)... Had a few people walk past while exercising their dogs give us a curious look, but we thought, what the heck? Despite the lockdown, we will take our chances and enjoy the relatively rare fantastic weather we are having. Hey, we even waved to some of the passers by, because.. can you believe it - we knew a couple of them and they don't live too far from us.. Blimey, it is a small world! Can't fly, so may as well do something...

Once the tent was up, we decided it was time for a gin and tonic... So a quick walk from our front garden/yard to the kitchen and voilla! Premium G&T for the missus and I...

We will sleep in the tent tomorrow night... [Edit] I'll post a coupl of pics tomorrow - of our tent in the front yard - not the missus and I sleeping together in it... Want you to keep your breakfast down...

You must have less restrictions there Jerry. Camping would bring a big fine here at the moment. I think most of the compliance fines are around the $1,500 mark. Police have discretion, but they've been issuing a few fines. One was to a bloke sitting on a park bench eating a hamburger; if he was jogging around the park, it would have been legal, but you can't stop and sit. Another fine was issued to three young blokes playing computer games in a private home. I think if two of them lived there and the third was a guest, it would be legal. But if only one lived there and two were guests, it's breaking the law even though the number is three in both cases.

Willie, you will see that Jerry was camping in his own yard.

i don't know if it makes any difference whether front or back yard, but there is a bit of promotion on TV of pitching a tent in your back yard. As long as you don't go out the gate.

Jerry, I'm on your side.

Homestyle camping can work.

Way back when our kids were kids, we let them have a campout in the back yard. Wouldn't you know it, even before the tent went up, the rain started. So we squeezed the tent into the lounge room and they had a ball. That was a long time ago but it proved the concept.

Now, with this isolation stuff, we were feeling a bit stir crazy so we had a really nice camp-out under the trees. Just the two of us. Having moved up a bit with our camping infrastructure, we now sleep on a proper pillow top mattress (wife specified type) in our camper trailer. Still had a campfire and roast dinner. Wine and cheese by the glowing coals. Best of all, the facilities are excellent and it's only a short walk to the clean toilets, hot showers and the dishwasher (which is still my wife's best friend).

• Like 2

At least half a dozen of us seem to be filling in our days on this website, discussing various topics. I consider myself fortunate in that when all else fails, I have the Showcase to work on - identify and download appropriate photos, edit them to the specs for the Showcase, find the data, copy and paste into the pro-forma for upload. I've done 22 since the beginning of April alone. Then I have a collection of aviation videos if I want a break from the keyboard/mouse.

In many ways, my wife and I have been preparing for something like this for quite a while. We have recorded many TV programs/movies and burnt them to DVD so we could watch them for weeks if there was nothing worthwhile on TV. My wife has hours (and hours and hours) of ice skating to watch, as well as musical concerts from pop to classic. One of my favorite genres is personal interest programs such as Long Lost Family and Who Do You Think You Are. We have recorded them on timer without watching them, so we have quite a lot of stuff to watch when we can't go outside. Add that to our CD collection, and this lockdown isn't all that difficult to endure.

• Like 2

...In many ways, my wife and I have been preparing for something like this for quite a while. ...

Not many people have, Red. Our community has been found to have little resilience.

Governments have prioritised spending on sport facilities and war memorials rather than preparing for the pandemics that many have predicted.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/we-were-so-close-three-potential-covid-19-vaccines-had-funding-cut-20200407-p54hw9.html

I,m saving all my video,s for the time when the TV and nbn goes down.

Untill that time, lots of entertainment on the box !.

Who knows how this wuflu will end.

A bang or a whimper? .

Just think no train drivers means ,

NO COAL. Which means the power stations will closedown, & leave us in the dark.

Horror story.

spacesailor

I've got the "tasty treats" cooking bug. I'm getting sick of commercially-produced biscuits, so I made some of my own - oat biscuits with cinnamon and apple. They're bloody delicious.

Ingredients: (measure precisely)

160 gr salted butter (you can use unsalted, and eliminate the pinch of salt if you're worried about salt intake)

2/3rd cup of caster sugar (I use demarara sugar, you can use any type of brown sugar, the result will just vary slightly)

3 tablespoons of Golden Syrup

1/2 cup of milk (I used skim milk)

1 cup SR flour (you can use plain flour with half a teaspoon of bicarb of soda added)

1/2 cup of dessicated coconut

1 heaped teaspoon of ground cinnamon

Half a sweet apple, chopped into 6mm x 6mm pieces (I used a Fuji apple)

1-1/2 cups of plain rolled oats

Pinch of salt

Method:

Warm the butter and add the sugar, and mix with a wooden spoon, or electric hand mixer set on low speed

Add the Golden Syrup, keep mixing

Add all the other ingredients, mixing again, adding the milk last, adjusting the amount of milk until you end up with a moderately stiff batter

Turn oven on to 160 deg C

Place a sheet of baking paper on a baking tray.

Place flattened-out dobs (about 50c piece size, or slightly larger) across the tray, allowing about 15-20mm between the dobs of batter

Cook for about 30 mins, the dobs may flatten right out (depending on batter consistency), and end up touching each other - not to worry, you just cut them apart with a sharp knife, when finished

They're done when they turn darkish brown. Turn the oven off, and let them cool. They'll be soft, straight out of the oven, they harden up when they cool.

They're pretty similar to Anzac biscuits, but they taste better than the standard Anzacs.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

We had a nice campfire last night. It was a typical Tassie evening - about 7 degrees, so I put an extra log on the fire to warm us a bit....[ATTACH type=full" alt="IMG_20200404_122106.jpg]52224[/ATTACH]P

We've been doing that too - I'm working from home but have been on leave since Wednesday. My wife and I have both been on the brushcutter and chainsaw, getting rid of blackberries, dead wattles and "Alicia's tears" along the creek.

Jeez I'm glad we've got a little bit of land, the kids would be off the show if they couldn't run around and throw stuff on the fires!

What with the clearing, home schooling, other work around the house, and the occasional foray to the shed to do a bit on the plane - who has time to be bored?? (I was working on the struts today, will have to get them welded up soon).

Our neighbour is a Zumba instructor so has been putting up videos on Facebook for our local private group. We've been doing that for exercise - 45 minutes is a good workout! (Not that you need that much extra after a few hours on the chainsaw).

• Like 1

After the movement restrictions lift and (I expect that to only last a fortnight), I'd like to come along and see your progress. I'm just amazed that you can fit an aircraft into such a small space AND manage to create, somewhere in amongst it all, a workspace for whatever bit you are building.

My daughter usually goes horse riding - hasn't been on a bicycle for nearly 5 years! Seriously... But she has always had ready access to horses. But with the lock down, it has become more difficult. So dusted down the son's old bicycle (still her size) and she had to don the horsey helmet (wearing bicycle helmets are not mandatory here - andshe had outgrown her old one) and off we pedalled.. She was very nervous at first and I tried to reasom with her that her horses were taller, fell harder and could fall on her, and only the laws opf physics says how fast you will stop ion a bicyle (given the brakes are in good 'nic).

As her confidence grew cycling along our counry roads, she went a bit faster and by the end of it, really enjoyed it. So good news, there. Though, today, she is complaining of a rather sore posterior..

" (Not that you need that much extra after a few hours on the chainsaw). "

Much more energy will be used IF you put away those " laboursaving " power tools, & use your muscles with hand tools. LoL

I was using a scroll saw instead of my Jigsaw, that's how I know.

pacesailors

Our neighbour is a Zumba instructor so has been putting up videos on Facebook for our local private group. We've been doing that for exercise - 45 minutes is a good workout! (Not that you need that much extra after a few hours on the chainsaw).

Keep it up, Marty; dance is the best exercise. Didn't know there was a word for it though. Zumba. I'll have to remember that one.