How are you filling in your day in lockdown?

red750

Love it, OK.

They are a special breed. We lived in County Cork & County Louth for 18 months, my wife working as a pharmacist there.

The medical advice then was that men should try to limit their Guinness intake to 14 pints a week.

Heard somewhere that due to Covid-19, pubs are now delivering freshly pulled pints in the local area - I have a mental image of a chap riding a bicycle holding the handlebars with one hand and a pint in the other.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today I picked my wife up from hospital after she had her thyroid removed. We only found out last week that she had aggressive thyroid cancer. Then a phone consultation from my cardiologist, who advised that he is putting me on blood thinners to reduce the risk of stroke since I have had a couple of episodes of atrial fibrillation. A busy day.

Today I picked my wife up from hospital after she had her thyroid removed. We only found out last week that she had aggressive thyroid cancer. Then a phone consultation from my cardiologist, who advised that he is putting me on blood thinners to reduce the risk of stroke since I have had a couple of episodes of atrial fibrillation. A busy day.

Jeepers.. Best wishes to your wife and yourslef and hope everything settles down nicely.

• Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

Back to finding something to do.

The Lawn Dart project has stalled due to the lack of a cheap ESC, so I decided to start something else.

Something I have always wanted is a sand blasting cabinet. One like this from a tool shop is about $200.

1591078562637.png.e90f82d70c55a0e5e5f0e22994e0ecdb.png I'm too tight to pay out that much when I can make something that works for hardly anything.

A search on the 'Net produced these plans

1591078669375.thumb.png.3bc4bef2c8f6a47d39f0797d29ad0479.png

I have sheets of plywood that I got for nothing, so the cabinet itself will cost me nothing. I spent this afternoon marking out the cut lines on a sheet of plywood.

1591078786825.thumb.png.ebd4650307de41acbe91e4ca61354038.png

I jumped onto the Bunnings catalogue and got these prices:

1 x PVC air grill $5.25

2 x 100 mm waste tray flanges 3.10

2 x 105/127 mm jubilee clamps $7.70

1 x Ozito blow gun $ 9.95

1 pr long sleeved chemical gloves $4.10

Total cost: $30.10

I have to see if I can scrounge the lid from a storage bin for the 250 x 500 mm window. Perspex is too dear, and glass is also too expensive unless I go to a salvage yard.

This is how I am going to convert the blow gun into a sand blasting gun

• Like 1

ome, whatever material your viewing window is, you'll need clear stick on, replaceable protective film on the inside.

Good idea building your own though. Where I volunteer, they bought a big one for a couple of grand. It's a heap of junk and only works about 10% of the time. For two years, they've constantly battled with something that would be more use as a boat anchor.

you'll need clear stick on, replaceable protective film on the inside.

Yep. I have a roll of clear stick-on vinyl

shop vac to the outlet filter. It made all the difference to visibility. Also suggest some strong LEDs internally.

Got a shop vac, and Jaycar has the LEDs

I bought a complete Chinese one, new and unused, for $75 off a bloke who decided he had no use for it. I had to make four legs for it, to raise it to a decent working height. It works quite well, but visibility is always a problem with them.

Mine has a sloped perspex lid, and I find if I use it in bright sunlight, it makes a big difference to seeing what you're doing.

The long gloves are a costly item, and they wear out too fast. You also need a good ceramic nozzle, they wear out like crazy.

Mine is identical to this one, but it came complete with the air regulator on the side, and a neon tube light inside (fitted with a protective cover).

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/craigieburn/power-tools/sand-blasting-cabinet/1229031004

Edited by Guest