The climate change debate continues.

Phil Perry

THEN IT IS TERRORISM !.

The French government sent their ' james bond ' to a Forein country to murder the anti whalers,

'GreenPeace '

And l put a capital P, in there on purpose.

None Violent protesters, blown up and murdered in their Bed. ( in the Rainbow Warrior ).

Whats Not Terrorism !

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
Spelling

2 hours ago, red750 said:

delusion.thumb.jpg.bbc9041e0d470671d6fe1b83e321e90b.jpg

Misinformation Peter - Octave has previously posted a video proving pretty comprehensively that the carbon produced by the burning of fossil fuels plus the process of refining it (which your denialists never seem to factor in) is greater than that produced by an electric vehicle, even if the generation of the power used to charge it is coal.

Which will become less and less the case anyway.  South Australia is now 60% renewable.  Not sure how much we are here in Tassie - should be 100% due to hydroelectric power but I think they stuffed up and had to do a lot of diesel generation in the last couple of years.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, old man emu said:

saw a real estate ad for a new residential area at Woomera. It said that the the developers had spent a lot on creating attractive landscapes. 

It think the estate was called New Clear Views.

Maybe it will boom. I was referring to a different sort of boom, probably better spelt kaboom.

I've only ever been through Woomera once, back when the refugee centre was still operating. We were moving camp from Moomba to Kintore in the NT and had to go that way because of wet roads on other routes. We went down via Lyndhurst and Roxby Downs to Woomera then out to the highway. There is some unusual country on the Roxby Downs side of Woomera. Very thick mulga covering sand dunes. The only other place I've seen thick mulga on dunes is west of Marla around the Mintabie opal fields. I'm sure there would be similar in other areas I haven't been to.

Edited by willedoo
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

10 hours ago, Marty_d said:

I read a fictional book about Maralinga once.  The only thing I can remember about it, is that the hero had a Land Rover fitted with aircraft wheels off a Mirage.  The story claimed the bolt pattern was exactly the same.

Marty my sources say that is unlikely, given the French used metric and Landrovers at the time used imperial...

But, Mirage tyres were popular with Dune Buggies; they were very rigid and fitted straight onto VW rims.

• Like 1

Marty, you sure you didn't get that info from Mad Max? I reckon most of their buggies were built up from parts of Landrovers, VeeDubs, Toyotas, and Mirages.

The Mirage appears to use just one central hub nut for wheel retention, in line with most larger aircraft design.

http://www.grubbyfingersshop.com/walkaround_galleries/Dassault_Mirage_F1c_Walkaround_33-LA_French_Belgium_2015/content/Dassault_Mirage_F1c_Walkaround_33-LA_French_29_GraemeMolineux_large.html

Edited by onetrack

I was mowing my backyard yesterday and was thinking about the carbon balance of that activity. The grass has grown really well this year because of the rain, so it has fixed a lot of CO2 in its leaves. I didn't measure how much petrol I put in the mower, but let's say I used 500 ml. Even though I reduced the living leaf area of the backyard by cutting a lot away, the plants have started to photosynthesise since dawn. They are fixing CO2 again. 

I wonder how much of the COI generated with the mower has been fixed by the regrowth of the grass.

MARALINGA NT.

Buffalo 

I,m watching a film ( series ) on it at the moment. ( NETFLIX )

It starts off saying, " it,s fiction, but a lot of the Bad things really did happen" .

ASIC gets a very bad rap in it, as murderous thugs !.

I haven,t met any ( yet ) are they bad people ?.

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
Spelling

10 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Here in western Vic, there could be a thousand tons of charcoal made from old timber on our farm alone.

burying that would take that carbon from the air and put it away for geologic time.

This would be the exact opposite of coal mining and burning.

Bruce, charcoal and coal are two very different things.  Charcoal is what you have left after you burn wood.  Coal is formed from decaying plant matter turned into peat and then compressed by weight and lots and lots of time.

Burning your wood to make charcoal would be exactly the opposite of what you want to achieve, because you're producing carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and sulphur dioxides in the burning process, then you're burying what's left.

Burying vegetation matter WITHOUT burning it would be better, because then the carbon is trapped within it without being released.  However you'd have to bury a shedload of material to make up for even a small amount of coal.