The climate change debate continues.

Phil Perry

Here's a twist on the warming !.

If a very Cold winter hits northern America/Canada. they will get lots of Freezing , 

But the water still pours over the Niagara Falls, as if its thawing, Not freezing !.

We have just seen pictures of the frozen falls with that water Still gushing.

WHY

spacesailor

In The Age this morning an article on Craig Kelly included :

No matter, apparently, that Kelly’s views on climate change were so at odds with established science that he once claimed the island of Tuvalu was growing, not sinking, and has said the world is cooling rather than warming.

I had to go back to find an article in The Age on September 8 2019 which said:

The ABC's fact checking unit with RMIT University has previously examined Mr Kelly's claims about Tuvalu and found them to be accurate.

This blatantly dishonest reporting is real George Orwell stuff. It relies on people not using their memories and just believing what they are told on the day.

PMC, in a geologically active plate tectonics world, it is quite reasonable that some islands are growing. This does not at all negate the fact that sea levels are rising. I think that the reporting of the story like that was to trick some gullible people to believe that sea level rise is all untrue.

Here's the best test....  is it harder to insure against sea level rise flooding or not? The answer is that insurance companies have had big payouts from sea flooding already and are wary of much more and they don't want to insure anymore. Have a look at the US situation, if you don't agree that the australian examples are convincing enough..

I do agree that land rise and fall should not be taken as proof of anything in itself. There are pictures of Venice plazas which are now underwater. A couple of cm is due to sea level rise and the rest ( biggest part )  is due to land subsidence.  This is sometimes explained and sometimes not.

The same with Jakarta. It is sinking because it is built on a swampy plain.

Europe has recorded these temperature changes over the past 1000 years or so, but Global average temperatures show that the Little Ice Age was not a distinct planet-wide time period, but the end of a long temperature decline that preceded recent global warming. The rise since 1800 definitely appears to be abnormally large.

330px-2000%2B_year_global_temperature_including_Medieval_Warm_Period_and_Little_Ice_Age_-_Ed_Hawkins.svg.png

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Third Assessment Report considered the timing and areas affected by the Little Ice Age suggested largely independent regional climate changes rather than a globally synchronous increased glaciation. At most, there was modest cooling of the Northern Hemisphere during the period.

When it comes to trying to assess whether an island is 'sinking' or not, there are multiple influences to consider. Localised observations do not tell us whether sea levels are changing overall. 

As well as the confusion caused by tectonic plate movement, there is the issue of localised hills and dips in the oceans. These can vary depending on such things as currents, etc which in turn have numerous long term influencers.

Just look at the link for a map showing 'levelness' of ocean around Australia.

http://oceancurrent.imos.org.au/sst.php#

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

And in spite of the fact that the Australian continent is moving north, this fact can't by used (misused) to claim that climate change is not accelerated by human activities.

Likewise, just because one of Mr Kelly's statements about a particular island happens to be true, doesn't mean that all his other claims will stand up to considered fact checking.

Maybe the ABC should not have rolled all his claims into the same category.

Edited by nomadpete
  • Like 1

New Zealanders vote using the MMP system (mixed- member proportional), they get 2 votes, one for the party and one for a member to represent their electorate. It is a little hard to get your head around but it seems to be more representative of peoples votes.  

MMP voting system explained

My son moved to NZ about 5 years ago and loves it, in fact he is in the process of becoming a NZ citizen. He moved is business there and finds it to be a much more progressive country.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

4 hours ago, nomadpete said:

So what makes NZ's government so much better than ours? Apart from Jacinta?

Their national compensations insurance scheme is just one example of clever public policy. I suspect they haven’t yet followed Oz and succumbed to American-style lobbyism and the massive corruption it brings.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

That Insurance scheme cost me plenty.

Stupidity of the management, and not listening to the worker, gave me 60% burns.

Three weeks  in hospital, minimal wage. Three  weeks converlecence, sick pay,   ( more than the hospital insurance pay ) Six weeks to get back to work, or your on the dole queue ).

Great  scheme for the bosses.

Shiit for the injured. And No payout for their Negligence.

spacesailor

New Zealand has put the same restrictions on US nuclear ships as San Francisco and New York. They are not allowed to use the harbor. 

Now the US has a rule of not disclosing which of their ships are nuclear. They carried on at NZ like pork chops.

Meanwhile, Australia accepts nuclear ships in Melbourne and Sydney.

Personally, I am pro-nuclear, but there is no way that ship reactors in our major cities  would be as safe as a land-based one up in the desert.

I reckon NZ is much better than Australia.

• Agree 1