Don't get me wrong here, But I LIKE Donald Trump.

Phil Perry

I still think the U.S. Democrats are barking up the wrong tree with Joe Biden. Polling suggests he would beat Trump, but a gut feeling says it's the opposite. All in all, the Democrat line up is a fairly mediocre bunch. Amy Klobuchar would be my pick, but I doubt she will be able to climb high enough on the bullsh*t ladder.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got to admit that some of our grubby leaders do have their uses: they provide great inspiration for political cartoonists. Since I gave up paper editions I've missed some of the best commentary, like this gem from the morning after Trump was elected:

[ATTACH]50357._xfImport[/ATTACH]

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-04/cartoonist-david-rowe-on-donald-trump-scott-morrison-and-satire/11566888

image.thumb.jpeg.0f0f20884d0ad8a9aff95249877399ad.jpeg

I still think the U.S. Democrats are barking up the wrong tree with Joe Biden. Polling suggests he would beat Trump, but a gut feeling says it's the opposite...

I agree, Willeedoo. Trump found it very easy to tarnish the image of Biden, but it seems no amount of scandal, incompetence or corruption will worry Trump's supporters.

Today's news confirms for me that he isn't there to "drain the swamp". As just another reptile, the current president has done what the US is so good at: using alliances of convenience to do their dirty work, then casting their friends to the wolves.

For over a century the Kurds have suffered broken promises from western powers, but cling to their hope of a Kurdish state, free from suffering under murderous regimes. They defeated the evil IS and saved perhaps millions of their neighbours from slavery and murder. Kurdish-held areas stand out as islands of stability amid a region of insanity. Yet the Americans are abandoning them.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-49956698

I guess a lot of Joe Biden's political future will depend on what happens in Ukraine between now and his possible nomination. If the Ukraine President is impeached and the public prosecutor reopens the closet, things might go bad. Trump knows Ukraine is Joe Biden's Achilles Heel, so the more he goes hard on it, the more distraction from Trump's own failings. But I doubt the Ukraine thing will go too far; there's too many skeletons in the cupboard for it to get too big.

Re: the Kurds, you could see that coming. I really feel sorry for them and they probably didn't have much option but to go with the U.S.. The risk the Americans are taking is that one day most will see their word as worthless. When that happens, it will be a lot harder for them to try to forge deals.

It's got all the makings of a soap opera. Rumours are getting about that Clinton and Romney might have a go at it if Ukraine sidelines Biden, and Bernie's heart attack stops him. It reminds me of being at a certain outback annual race meeting years ago. They only had seven horses show up, so they raced the same horses round and round all day.

US PR has invented a new term, "full spectrum dominance'. Trump has jumped forward to re-frame American exceptionalism in these terms. My thoughts are that he reasons, why expend vast amounts of material basically making wars that no side can win when equally devastating use of trade sanctions can work? I heard that Adobe, creator of the most extensively used PDF system in the world, has cancelled all Venezuelan accounts. The US has a strangle hold on the world's commercial IT systems. Imagine the panic in Europe at the moment with Airbus in the US sights!

... why expend vast amounts of material basically making wars that no side can win when equally devastating use of trade sanctions can work? ...

Misuse a weapon and the other team finds a way around it. Trump is just speeding up the demise of the mighty US$. Because the US has been abusing its dominance of the global payments system to bully other countries, several are developing alternatives. When that happens, the American economy will be on the ropes because no longer will the rest of the world be forced to subsidising them.

Googled the answer.

"The legislation had restricted the sale of gold in Australia only to the Reserve Bank or a person authorised by the bank. It had also prohibited the export of gold without the Reserve Bank's permission."

AND

"Australia Gold Confiscation—1959 In other words, they made it legal to seize gold from private citizens and exchange it for paper currency."

So, They (sivergoldbull) can sell , & the law can take it away !.

spacesailor

Googled the answer.

"The legislation had restricted the sale of gold in Australia only to the Reserve Bank or a person authorised by the bank. It had also prohibited the export of gold without the Reserve Bank's permission."

AND

"Australia Gold Confiscation—1959 In other words, they made it legal to seize gold from private citizens and exchange it for paper currency."

So, They (sivergoldbull) can sell , & the law can take it away !.

spacesailor

https://www.perthmint.com/info-historycontrols.aspx

There's a word that you never hear nowadays that describes young Donny's modus operandi : BRINKMANSHIP - the activity, especially in politics of trying to get what you want by saying that if you do not get it, you will do something dangerous.

The word was coined by 1956 Democratic candidate Adalai Stevenson as a criticism of comments made by John Foster  Dulles, US Secretary of State 1953 - 59 in an interview. Dulles said "The ability to get to the verge without getting into the war is the necessary art. If you cannot master it, you inevitably get into war. If you try to run away from it, if you are scared to go to the brink, you are lost. " Adlai Stevenson criticized Dulles for "boasting of his brinkmanship -- the art of bringing us to the edge of the nuclear abyss."

It is clear that Trump espouses the concept in dealing with his competitors, both private and public. So far, it seems that he has been able to give plausibility to his threats as the US holds the biggest stick.

The word 'brinkmanship' certainly raises the status of the spoilt child's threat "I'm gunna hold my breath until I turn blue unless ..."

A true  test of any kind of behaviour is what would happen if "everybody" did it. Many Empires were built on outright theft and domination( murder,theft on a grand scale, slavery,bullying.).  and they did it because there was no one to stop or oppose them. Might is right only if you are the one with the might. Trump thinks he's a something superior, once only, messianic, genius but that's not what he looks like or IS.  His tenure as POTUS may  well be unique and remarkable but there's every chance it will be an unmitigated disaster not just for the US but the world. The POWER to brain cells ratio is totally out of whack. America now has NOTHING to show the world as an example of how things should be. It's a MODEL for NOTHING worthwhile and CANNOT be trusted to behave well. when it's for self interest and nothing else. No universal guiding principle(s) no concern for the Planet. The last vestage of a Scoundrel is PATRIOTISM they say very appropriately. Nev

Get hold of a book called "The Making of Donald Trump"

It is enlightening, all about his previous life, before inauguration. If the things written are not true or as trump would say False Truths, I wonder why Trump has not taken the author to court. If as I suspect they are true, Trump would be wise not to use a court case, because it would expose him.

What is really sad is the number of people who appear to be supporting Trump  and hiding his shady deals.