Are there any Creationists out there?

Bruce

You'd have to be careful what you published in those days (bit like now). Who was running the show? The Romans?  Christ was the ever promised "King of the Jews" A threat to Herod at least as he perceived it. ALL the little Boys he killed in Bethlem in his fury.   Nev

On 15/04/2021 at 9:44 PM, spacesailor said:

I saw a Doco of someone ( archaeologists )  opening a burial niche, reportedly Jesuses family.

If a sham. WHY.

spacessailor

4 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Sorry I don't understand your point space. I usually do.

Do you mean that this story is somehow proof that it was all true?

The tomb Spacey is talking about is the Talpiot Family Tomb, located about 5km south of the Old City of Jerusalem.  It was originally discovered in 1980, but rose to fame with the 2007 Discovery Channel documentary, “The Lost Tomb of Jesus,” which was produced by James Cameron and directed by Simcha Jacobovici.

Ten ossuaries were discovered within the Tapiot tomb bearing names such as Jesus, Mary and Joseph.  The filmmakers identified one of the ossuaries bearing the inscription “Mariamene” as belonging to Mary Magdalene, suggesting she was married to Jesus. Only two of the ossuaries contained a patronym helpful in identification: “Jude, son of Jesus” and “Jesus, son of Joseph.” This has led some to conclude Jesus of Nazareth and Mary Magdalene had a son named Judah.  However, scholars have pointed out that the presence of names such as Jesus, Joseph and Mary is not as compelling an argument as the filmmakers made it out to be.  Simply put, they were among the most popular Hebrew names in the first century A.D.; Cameron and Jacobovici have read more into these names than is warranted.

I wouldn't call the discovery of a family tomb a sham. Family tombs are very common. What the doco is based on is a lack of knowledge of Jewish names leading to people thinking that there was only one Jesus, Mary and Joseph in the whole country at that time. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

I used to like to think that my full name is pretty exclusive. Then I found 8 other people, just in my own State, with my exact first and last name!

Then I find out a heap of famous people overseas, share my name as well!

It's very disappointing now, finding that I have a pretty common name, when I thought it was fairly uncommon.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, onetrack said:

I used to like to think that my full name is pretty exclusive. Then I found 8 other people, just in my own State, with my exact first and last name!

Then I find out a heap of famous people overseas, share my name as well!

It's very disappointing now, finding that I have a pretty common name, when I thought it was fairly uncommon.

Lucky you!

My name is pretty unusual. I’ve often gotten into a phone argument with silly office girls who insist, for identification purposes, that I give my full name, including middle name (which I don’t like and never use).

I challenge them that if they can find anyone else on the planet with my first and last names, I will give my middle name.

After the supervisor is called things usually get more sensible.

• Like 1

Funnily enough, I have no middle name either. My parents were undecided about a middle name after my birth and then let it slide.

But the lack of a middle name is usually the distinguishing feature of my name for ID purposes. I often wonder how the many Indos get ID'ed, with only one name. 

All the males in our Clan(family) have the name William as middle name , going back to the 1700s, its a tradition except my father who was William Joseph (his dad was Joseph william. There are now 4 generations alive with that name (our side of the Lacey clan)

Edited by gareth lacey

3 hours ago, facthunter said:

You may find they are reading from a cue sheet that has it represented phonetically.. I don't know HOW that could be done with Chinese.. (if you ARE chinese.). Nev

I believe the main problem with Mandarin is getting the inflection right, because it has many words sharing the same basic sound and only distinguishable by slight tonal variations that most westerners wouldn’t notice. 

Kevin Rudd deserves plaudits for learning that difficult language, but apparently he often buggered up the pitch; at one diplomatic dinner he wished a high-ranking Chinese politician Many Happy Prostitutes!

• Like 1

Just now, Old Koreelah said:

Kevin Rudd deserves plaudits for learning that difficult language, but apparently he often buggered up the pitch; at one diplomatic dinner he once wished a high-ranking Chinese politicians Many Happy Prostitutes!

Knowing the proclivities of many of those in power, perhaps this is exactly what he meant to say. 😃

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I don't really think Kevin would be like that.  Macron  the French President told Turnbull his wife was "delicious". He probably meant delightful.  No doubt Turnbull's Chinese was execrable. It sounded it. Translations, difficult it sometimes is.  The cat black your path  crosses.  Nev

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

Kevin Rudd deserves plaudits for learning that difficult language, but apparently he often buggered up the pitch; at one diplomatic dinner he wished a high-ranking Chinese politician Many Happy Prostitutes!

That reminds of when Obama first got in and tried to live up to a few election promises, namely trying to form better relations with the Russians. He sent Hillary Clinton to Russia to meet with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov. As a gesture and gift of goodwill, the Americans made up a small box with a red reset button on it to represent Obama's so called 'reset' of relations. Instead of reset, they buggered up the translation and wrote peregrushka in Cyrillic on it. It basically means the opposite eg; 'overload'. The Russians had a bit of a chuckle over it.

Their automatic voice warning system 'RITA' says the word when you pitch up with too much AOA. She nags 'Igrol Attaki - Peregrushka!', translated 'Angle of Attack - Overload'.

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1

• 6 months later...

Back to the topic...  there do seem to be creationists on the net...  I just saw an example, where they say ridiculous things like " the human eye just popped into existence according to evolutionists".

I am lamenting that we don't have them contribute here.  Maybe they get ridiculed too much?