Are there any Creationists out there?

Bruce

58 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

We have ONE creationist  to thank for all those weird dogs out there !.

Now he wishes he had,nt ' cross-bred that Poodle,  with the Labrador, 

Creating the 

Labradoodle

spacesailor

Have you seen how much those things go for?

People are paying $5000 for a puppy.  My son's friend's dog had 11 pups this year and all of them sold within a week.  Nice payday!  (Theirs were "only" $3500, but still a big chunk of change.)

Edited by Marty_d

2 hours ago, Marty_d said:

Have you seen how much those things go for?

People are paying $5000 for a puppy.  My son's friend's dog had 11 pups this year and all of them sold within a week.  Nice payday!  (Theirs were "only" $3500, but still a big chunk of change.)

I’ve had several dogs and one thing I’ve learned is that you pay for what you get. A dog costs lots during its lifetime; there are too many mongrel muts causing stress to their owners and neighbours. Not many breeds I would trust with little kids and some small types are well-known for their very limited loyalty.
A well-bred dog that is suited to the role is worth paying for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yenn said:

Tony Abbot would be related to aquatic dogs, also Mc Mahon.

Even a labrador has more brains than abbott.  But yes he's aquatic, he smuggles budgies.

Hey talking about creationists, here's a thought - somewhere in the bible it says "If your hand offends you, cut it off" or words to that effect.  

Now - what happens if your hand offended you (said rude things about your mother, I guess) and you chopped it off, only to have your other hand offend you?  What are you going to do then?  "Right, that's it, remaining hand - you asked for it... now let me just pick up that meat cleaver............  damn."]

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marty_d said:

In Queensland it's illegal to even give a pup away unless you are a registered breeder with a supply number.

3 hours ago, Yenn said:

Tony Abbot would be related to aquatic dogs

I think he would be related to this breed. The Moscow Water Dog was bred as a Naval rescue dog to save drowning people. Only problem was that they were aggressive and tended to bite all and sundry. Instead of saving the victim, it would swim out and try to bite them. Just an all round  failure and general nuisance. Subsequently the breed is now extinct.

Moscow Water Dog.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 2

Yep I agree and I'm guilty of laughing at the crazy arguments of creationists. Actually I reckon they are a bit like flat-earthers and a "christian" headmaster I knew. They sort of know deep down that all their stuff is nonsense but they are too smart to even admit this to themselves, let alone a non-believer. They get by by not addressing the issue, while proclaiming belief in the nonsense. They do this because that's where the money is.

Which brings us to what I immodestly call Tunckses test of true belief...  to pass this, you have to do something big which hurts you in this world. Selling your property and giving the money secretly away would qualify, but there may well be other ways.

Actually, I do know of a guy who may have passed this test.. I never met him, but he worked as a non-denominational missionary to the blacks at the Charles river camp near Alice Springs in the 1950's . Mainly, he stopped them killing each other when they had imbibed too much metho.

Being non-denominational ( like Jesus was) did not give you any support on account of how the denominations had the money.

I have never met or even  heard of another religious person who would pass the test, but there are many honest guys on this site, for example In fact, I don't know of a dishonest person. ( I just realized there are indeed some women on here)

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2021 at 12:10 PM, Bruce Tuncks said:

Which brings us to what I immodestly call Tunckses test of true belief... 

Bruce we could assemble quite a large collection of interesting items that fail your test, like the bullet-proof Pope-mobile.  On a doco about the Camino pilgrimage in Spain, an Irish commedian mentioned all the lightning conductors he’d seen on church spires as evidence of lack of faith.

At least one of the evil 9/11 suicide pilots had little faith that he’d be rewarded with 72 virgins after he killed lots of infidels; he spent his last night on this earth with an American prostitute.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

• 3 months later...

Old K, the history of lightening conductors is really something..  it marked the first time many people  came across science.

After Benjamin Franklin worked out the true nature of lightning and developed the lightning conductor, there were those in the church who denounced him angrily and refused to put up those infernal things which were there to thwart god's will.

Well the man in the street soon noticed that brothels with conductors were spared and churches without were damaged.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Once, in religious education, we were told that anglicans were the only religion which went back to the apostles and yet had not been tainted by committing an atrocity. Yep, you guessed right, it was the anglican denomination speaking to schoolkids.

Well how's this for an atrocity... In Spain, it was common for the army to store its gunpowder in the church's basement, which was often dry because the church was built on a hill.  Now when a thunderstorm loomed, the villagers flocked to the church. Which of course had no lightning conductor.

Well it finally happened and about 200 died, and this was noticed by the fledgling free press in London.

There was an article in which the writer cast doubt upon a good and loving and omnipotent god actually existing.

At the behest of the anglican church, the writer was jailed for blasphemy, and with her father in jail, his daughter died of starvation.

• Informative 1
  • Sad 1

So, from that, I conclude that all our problems today can be traced back to Gutenberg. In the above example, the printing press started the first social media.

The new fangled printing press was probably invented with good intention. But it enabled individuals to print and spread information that didn't follow the government and religiously controlled information.

And it's been a downhill battle ever since.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...