The politics of Jesus

Marty_d

3 hours ago, facthunter said:

You can't leave the earth without passing over Mecca.

I've passed over Mecca, but it was in a Bangladesh Biman DC-10. Half the passengers at least rolled their prayer mats out in the aisles and had their head down and rear end up. That, and a few onboard fights broke the monotony of an otherwise fairly boring trip.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 2

I don't think it is fashionable to declare war any more....  the Korean war was called " a police action" at the time. I don't think that Vietnam was a declared war either. My guess is that declaring war makes the pollies doing so more legally liable than if they say " special military operation" or some similar nonsense.

Does anybody know?

• Like 1

That was Pakistan in the early 80s  I went through Columbo, Ceylon? another time and it  wasn't much better, the war with the Tamils was about to start . Dubai and Bahrein were relatively civilised but everybody's name was like it was out of a Humphry Bogart film.  The scariest times was going through Frankfurt when the Bader-Meinhof gang were active .  Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

The first time I encountered proper machine guns was transiting through Singapore to London. I still vividly remember it; a lone gard just keeping an eye on things; there was no civil or military unrest at the time. I was sort of fixated by the guard and gun, and thought to myself "Jeez, I hope his wife didn't say no to him last night." We made eye contact, and he just game me a wry smile; I think he saw I was a little taken aback by it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

I agree nev. In the middle-east airports I saw in the late 1970's, there were lots of retarded kids with machine-guns, bored out of their brains, as guards. They sure frightened me.

One of those bored retards put a bullet through the head of an Australian journalist as he was passing a checkpoint in some African hot spot.

Reporting on the news is a dangerous occupation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Quite right old K.

I reckon journalists should always be well-protected. They stand between us and living in a dictatorship.

Agree totally Bruce, but who is gonna protect journos in a war zone?

At least one side would like to hide what it’s up to and often deliberately target the reporters.
Why has Julian Assange been deprived of freedom for decades?  He broadcast footage of American troops killing journalists in Iraq.

• Like 1

You should inform them of that but many of them are unworthy of the title "Journalist" when they just write what Rupee wants or they don't come Monday.  They used to tell me  "there are only two types of Journos in Australia, Those who work for Murdoch and those who are going to". So there you have it. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1

Probably right Nev, but maybe what the fresh-faced new journo writes gets chopped by the editor.

These days a lot of what’s printed is pretty much copied from “media releases” and you can’t blame our surviving newspapers for skimping on costly reporters when they can

I too am guilty; next week our local paper should print my report on our Aero Club hosting the ASRA Nationals.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

He and others have conned the gullible religious nutters that inhabit the southern US states and laughs all the way to the bank. The US has hundreds of these and are all bouyed bythe main stream religions who run the country in the guise of political parties. They are so obsessed they print "In god we trust" on all their bank notes.

• Like 3