The politics of Jesus

Marty_d

On 08/04/2023 at 8:43 AM, nomadpete said:

Related to the politics of Jesus.....

The stories portray him as a humble bloke who didn't care much for profiteering in houses of worship.

So this like is relevant. Do you believe it is fair for church businesses to be tax free?

https://www.change.org/p/stop-the-tax-free-status-of-churches-in-australia?source_location=search

Last night I watched a 4 Corners program via IView ABC. It dealt with a group of schools for children of the Catholic faith. The schools have intimate links with the organization known as Opus Dei. Opus Dei is an international lay Catholic group whose core ideal is the sanctification of work. But critics and some former members have accused the group of having cult-like practices and promoting a right-wing agenda. 

What was reported in that broadcast sickened me, and I have cast iron guts. Having been educated in a Catholic school, and a Christian Bothers' one at that, what I heard from the former students made me think that my education was gained under a radical, Leftist, hedonistic regime. What these former students related was the worst kind of psychological child abuse. You have to watch the report to hear what they were subjected to.

This link takes you to a precis of the 4 Corners report https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-15/purity:-an-education-in-opus-dei/101979020  but what is in the precis is the mildest of the material presented. Take the time to watch the program. It's shocking. 

You'll notice that I have highlighted some words. Fact or Fiction? Well, the former Premier of NSW, Dominic PERROTTET, is a former student, as are his siblings and all their children. His parents were amongst the founders of the four associated schools in Sydney.  And coming back to Nomadpete's link, these schools are being funded to the tune of ten's of millions. At least, once again, the ABC has lifted the lid on another Conservative nightsoil can. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 2
  • Sad 1

Not WHAT you know. It's WHO you know. Inherent Privilege. IF one religion can have it How do you stop others claiming equal privileges? Religion DIVIDES. How many HELLISH things are done in the name of some god or other?  There's plenty of examples of theocracies.Just who would like to live like that? The worst form of tyranny that can't be questioned because some imaginary dog albitey is involved. Nev

• Like 3

They made him too powerful. This power is just not logical....  for example, being all-powerful makes him responsible for all sorts of things.

The same is true for the superman character from the comics. Mind you, I have spent time daydreaming about just what I'd like to do with super-powers. One thing i'd like to do would be to attend one of those islamic courts where they were throwing accused homosexuals off a flat roof. I'd throw a few judges and guards off instead.

• Like 3