If this is "faith", none for me please

Marty_d

The Abrahamic god was possibly the worst character in all fiction.  But as for believing, I reckon there is a dividing point in society where , before this point, you will fail to get the job if they think you are an atheist. So in this time, anybody with half a brain ticks the box for religion. I used to tick "C of E".

Then, one day, you could get the job regardless and very suddenly the number of non-believers grew. Ireland was a clear example of this, they went fairly quickly from being a highly-regimented place believer-wise to a place where non-believers are in the majority. 

Here, we ( I think ) tick the religion box but don't go to church.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, onetrack said:

Spacey, don't tell me you've got the intestinal fortitude (guts) to watch TV evangelists for an extended period? Either your choice of programmes is terrible, or you must be bored out of your brain?

Almost equates to the trash I watch. Stories (for want of a better word) about mythical  monsters. Swap you a bigfoot for a God-botherer.

• Like 2

How does one talk to those who say, How do I KNOW? The BIBLE tells me so..  Atheism is not a religion.. A non smoker may be that way for many reasons but a non smoker is NOT a smoker. Religious people are like smokers who only smoke one brand .  Smoke any others and you are for it.. Holy smoke.. Thats easy to understand isn't it?    There's HELL to pay IF you don't get it.  Nev

• Like 1

It,s an AGE thing. 

Remember when tv started it Was !!!

ONE CHANNEL 

BBC or the radio. Then we got ' I T V ' .

The godsend channel . With Great Advertisements. 

Of course  'adds '  were a brand new entertainment.   LoL

being a ' war baby ' is WIERD,  as people think in ' black & White ' .

Before we had ' colour ' T V,s .

spacesailor

• Like 2

Living in the country, we had only the ABC for TV, and only from about 1966 or '67.

I can well remember the early Avengers with Patrick McNee and Diana Rigg - along with the doyen of comedy, Dave Allan.

Dave Allan is still as funny to watch today, as he was back then. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

In the country, we had "Blue Hills", the radio equivalent of "Neighbours". Along with the ABC Country Hour, these were radio institutions.

Then, on 6NA, we had "The Passing Parade", read by gravel voiced John Doremus. There were hundreds and hundreds of stories of human endeavour, human folly, human failings, tragedies, and major achievements.

John Doremus was a story-teller extraordinaire - and he always ended "Passing Parade", with -  "Our time is up! ... ’til we meet again, for another chapter in the Passing Parade ... this is John Doremus ... as always, thank you so much! …. and good-bye for now! ....

Poor old John got Alzheimers in his 50's, and died in his early 60's - a sad end for a bloke who had the most amazing voice and story-telling style of anyone I've ever listened to.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALiCzsaEbVEHdveJs3VFV-AfXRCiTn1UFQ:1667999143516&q=John+Doremus+The+Passing+Parade+episodes&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjwgb2DlaH7AhUQ6nMBHZLbCHsQ1QJ6BAghEAE&biw=1920&bih=937&dpr=1#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:33b1f594,vid:XASvBX1-wck

• Winner 1

Sorry guys 

That record belongs to ' Mrs Dales Diary ' or the ' Archers ' .

I looked them up & discovered one has the longest running serial in the world .

I always thought it was the  ' Dr Who ' that started in 1952 I think AND is still running Gmail. 

The two radio serials started in the 1940s.  possibility 48 ish .

spacesailor

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

14 hours ago, old man emu said:

For War Babies and Baby Boomers, this is one of teh sounds of their childhood.

Stop it! Nearly made me cry.

Took me back to our old farm, kero lamps and meatsafe. The radio (run by expensive big batteries) was our window on the world. Blue Hills was a household friend for my hardworking, lonely parents. 

• Winner 1