If this is "faith", none for me please

Marty_d

4 minutes ago, red750 said:

I know I'll get pilloried for this, but there are some a##eholes who should never see the light of day again.

True, but how many of that sort do you reckon make up theprison population? The majority are the dumb buggers who were not at tehe top of the heap. They are mostly the foot soliders.

• Agree 2

On 18/11/2022 at 4:40 PM, old man emu said:

My opinion is that the US criminal justice system is purely punitive with no intent to rehabilitate. At least what the impression is from their songs, which can influence their movie scripts. It seems that for  anything that we would punish by fine, they get 30 days in the slammer…

I suspect that’s part of voter supression. In America huge numbers of minorities can never vote, because they’ve served time- often for minor drug crimes that many whites seem to get away with. 

• Informative 2

Appointed dependently by politicians. Like this one appointed by Trump who has blatantly exceeded her authority and acted illegally in appointing stays of investigations by the DoJ on investigating possible crimes with respect to removing classified documents: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aileen_Cannon

Also, if you want to live as a law enforcer, you have to remember America is armed and the ones likely to inflict violence on you are the fanatic ones who are brainwashed by those you pursue.

• Informative 1

9 hours ago, Marty_d said:

While doing some plastering in the shed this evening, I was listening to "God Forbid" on ABC RN.  The discussion was religious instruction in State schools.  Apparently QLD still has an hour a week RI (done by volunteers from a church, not a qualified teacher).

One of the guests was a parent and teacher who is leading a group trying to get RI out of State schools…

I wish them success! As the product of a christian upbringing it took me decades to completely cast off the chains. Too often I’ve seen how religion has crippled people’s potential.

Towards the end of my state school career I retrained as Teacher-Librarian and absolutely loved the job. One of my favourite roles was to help groups of kids sent to me for diverse reasons; these included seniors with study time, juniors working on research projects and remote-learning kids following vocational courses via electronic links.

The school bent over backwards to accomodate the visiting religious instructors; They got the best timeslot and our school sure made it hard for kids to opt out of religious lessons- they needed a convincing letter from a parent and were then sent to my library. The school policy, as explained to me, was that they were NOT to do school work during Non-Scripture periods.

Despite this, Non-Scripture group expanded rapidly under my care; the word quickly spread that I allowed them to do private study in the comfy lounge I’d set up. This resulted in the religious supervisor visiting to try to coralle a few more victims. The kids were pretty safe with me, especially after a few told me how disturbed they were by the traumatic stuff a scripure teacher had subjected them to.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Gosh I wish you had been around when I was a kid old K. We had a batty old woman who told us of her nightmares, and in later years, we anglicans were told how wicked the catholics were while the catholic kids heard about how anglicanism was only invented so some king could murder yet another wife. They obviously didn't think we talked to each other. It never occurred to us that we could opt out, we would have been too scared of getting bashed (I reckon) if we tried that.

Edited by Bruce Tuncks
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I saw a report recently where the Mormons had collected $100B in tithes (yes, that figure is correct), supposedly for use in charitable giving - but it is funnelled into a massive investment fund that benefits only the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. 

No wonder they shot Joseph Smith, the Mormons were hated even when they first cranked up. Every Mormon I have ever dealt with in business, has been a real money-grubber.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

On 23/11/2022 at 10:33 AM, facthunter said:

They aren't very smart. Believing in having more than one wife.  Nev

More than one wife isn't great (although in a fictional story I read, an African chief said that 4 wives were the perfect number - so busy fighting each other that they left him alone).  

But it's the whole "heaven is full" thing that really amuses me.  Are they the mob that believes there's only 144,000 places in heaven?  In which case it would have filled up long ago and there's really no point in following their religion now.  Not the smartest thing to do, putting a limit on your imaginary destination!

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I've never forgotten a shot of a 1950's rear window warning decal from the U.S.

It featured a cartoon of a "redneck" blokes head, fuming and red-faced - and the attached caption read, "SPEED ON, MAD FOOL!!! HELL AIN'T FULL YET!!!

I always come out with that statement when SWMBO is in the car, anytime some revhead races past me with a bellowing exhaust, and 20 kays over the speed limit.

It gives me great pleasure to repeat it, but she's not impressed.

• Haha 1