Well known personalities who have passed away recently (Renamed)

onetrack

• 1 month later...

Here is a clip featuring Australian Jazz greats Don Burrows, Julian Lee, and James Morrison.    Don Burrows was a great influence on me back in the day.   Later on, as a music teacher one of my Sax students was offered the chance to attend a master class with Don through her school.  She said that she was too nervous to play in front of him.   I was able to convince her to give it a try. At her next lesson, she was so excited. She told me how nice he was and super encouraging.  

This video was from about 5 years ago.   Don Burrows was a mentor for James Morrison in his earlier career and in Don's later life, James returned the favour.  Don Burrows got quite bad arthritis which slowed him down a bit. By the end, he also had Alzheimer's but was still able to enjoy music. 

The Morrison brothers are also well-qualified pilots. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

• 2 weeks later...

In a surprising coincidence, SWMBO has booked us a couple of tickets to go see a Tribute to Sugarman at a local art-deco theatre next Wed. She reckons we don't get out enough, and we need to indulge in more social events. I'm not sure I like Sugarmans music all that much, but I'll go along anyway.

I just resist going to her ballet concerts, she goes with a female friend and I just drive them there and pick them up, and they think its great! I think it's great that I can avoid being dragged along to the ballet show!

https://www.astortheatreperth.com/events/sugarman-rodriguez-story-performed-howie-morgan/

• Like 4

I was a bit the same when my wife was alive. She loved going to concerts and plays. She would meet lady friends to sit with and I, too, would drive her there and pick her up. I was not that keen on going, although I would have sat through them with her, but we just couldn't afford them. If they were close to home, I would come home and watch telly. She loved morning concerts at Hamer Hall on Southbank - 12:30 till 2:00 pm. I would drive down and park at Albert Park, on part of the F1 track, from where I could watch boats on the lake and eat sandwiches, or go to the piers at Port Melbourne.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

John Dickenson, the father of modern Hang Gliding has died. His original design was a flat kite but he adopted the rogallo design and his kites & then gliders first free flown by Bill Moyes became the standard.

https://www.fai.org/news/john-dickenson-1934-2023-rip?type=node&id=24473&fbclid=IwAR2x8hLidTQIHEmyX_oFi2ePoh5Aio7Df4sHyrjEA9tZXwSSYGucPyK7vTM

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Sir Michael Parkinson, the legendary broadcaster and chat show host, has died at the age of 88.

The news was confirmed in a statement from his family, who said he “passed away peacefully at home in the company of his family” after a “brief illness”.

MichaelParkinson.thumb.jpg.255918cc75fc1b2ca6db7330c7297d73.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative 2