Well known personalities who have passed away recently (Renamed)

onetrack

Charlie Munger - Warren Buffet's right hand man (and IMHO, the brains of Berkshire Hathaway, not to say Warren is a stooge by any stretch) died aged 99: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/nov/28/charlie-munger-dead-berkshire-hathaway

Very well known in the financial world and millions of mum and dad investors followed him intensely.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

AC/DC’s original drummer Colin Burgess has died, according to a statement on the band’s social media accounts. The Hall of Fame musician was 77.

The statement was shared on AC/DC’s Facebook page on Friday (15 December). It read: “Very sad to hear of the passing of Colin Burgess. He was our first drummer and a very respected musician.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

77 is too young an age to die at. 40 years ago, I would've said, "Ahh well, he got to old age, and that must be a good innings". Now, I think anyone under 90 who has died, has died young.

An old farmer former client of mine, Harold, turned 103 on Saturday 9th Dec. He's still going well, but his legs are giving him a bit of trouble now, so he uses a gofer a fair bit of the time now. Here he is at his 100th birthday celebration in 2020.

Strangely enough, his Dad died in 1939 at age 60, when Harold was 18, so the lifespan genes appear to be a bit random. However, his Mum lived to 99, dying in 1986. His Dad fought in the Great War and won an MM, so perhaps that's the reason he died relatively young.

Harold.JPG

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

I think the Baby Boomers will tend to live longer lives due to a couple of reasons.

Generally their health is better than their forebears/ This is due to medical advances and better nutrition whilst growing up. In the realm of better health, a lot of Boomers gave up smoking in the 1990s/2000s. Whatever damage it might have caused to their lungs may have fixed itself due to the body's replacing itself over time. Random Breath Testing must be given a gong for reducing personal alcohol consumption from pre-RBT times. One cannot discount the fact that from the time of the Boomers, few spend as many years doing hard physical work. Men have their labour-saving devices as well.

I suggest that a major cause of Boomer deaths will be the secondary effects of Type II diabetes, but the knowledge is there to defeat that - just look at the Food thread here. One thing that Boomers will not be able to overcome is the damage to our skin from overexposure the sunlight as children. Melanomas will be the Boomers' Grim Reaper. 

• Informative 1

Lifestyle is a big  factor, Stress, sleep patterns VERY poor diet. excess alcohol. Fat in your tissues and arteries  SMOKING is crazy IF  you really want to live. Also a bit of luck. If you pick up a microgram of Plutonium you are probably going to be killed off by it. . A lot of us have too much salt. I had  a Melanoma of the worst kind in 1987 due to almost living on the Beach  as a youth and having no black ancestors. Against the Odds I'm still here because it usually returns. ALL lives are valuable but obviously Younger ones are the biggest loss. ALSO IF you make no real attempt to help your self You must reduce your ODDs.. Life is actually very fragile. Just a little clot or Bleed  can finish you off.  IF you make old age you are fortunate. It's not a given.  A BIG majority of all the people I ever knew are deceased now.. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

US comedian Tom Smothers, who co-hosted The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour with his sibling Dick, has died at 86. Key points: Tom Smothers has died in Santa Rosa aged 86, following a cancer diagnosis He starred in The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour alongside his brother Dick.

A rough start to 2024.

Glynis Johns, who appeaed in Mary Poppins, Whille You Were Sleeping, and a number of others, died on Jan 4, aged 100.

David Soul, "Hutch" in Starsky and Hutch, also died on Jan 4. He was 80. 

GlynisJohns.thumb.jpg.21bb5d0e845929bdd21d178f9ee8bed6.jpgDavidSoul.jpg.thumb.jpg.a7d48364327cf9c174d78dccc9ce66e1.jpg

• Informative 2

• 3 weeks later...

Possibly one of the least-known "personalities" in the world, and certainly not involved in the entertainment arena - but one (former) Major Mike Sadler, MM and MC, the last surviving member of the British Wartime SAS, has died aged 103. Sadlers life story is like something out of a comic-book hero storyline, but it was all true, and the man lived an incredibly charmed life.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/14/mike-sadler-obituary

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/last-survivor-original-sas-squad-28356268

• Informative 2